Torch Recommendations For Lighting AMNPS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
But for lighting Dust I use a small Butane torch, because the Propane torch will blow the dust out of the tray!!!

Bear

I use a heat gun in my tube.... works great. Takes about 2 minutes to get forge temps.

I understand Bearcarver about the dust.... my MAP torch is too powerful and blows dust out.
My heat gun... well... it is just a big hairdryer... makes a mess.
I need to get a small butane torch for dust.

I did make a solid cover for my tray to light dust.. works ok, but a small torch will probably work better for sure.

as a side note, the hot air gun works AWESOME lighting a firepit SAFELY!
Even smaller kids could use it safely.
Beats using liquids, or lighting kindling up close and personal.
I split dry wood down to chopstick size... and a stack of those get going like a forge... which lights everything around it.

I use a heat gun in my tube.... works great. Takes about 2 minutes to get forge temps.

I understand Bearcarver about the dust.... my MAP torch is too powerful and blows dust out.
My heat gun... well... it is just a big hairdryer... makes a mess.
I need to get a small butane torch for dust.

I did make a solid cover for my tray to light dust.. works ok, but a small torch will probably work better for sure.

as a side note, the hot air gun works AWESOME lighting a firepit SAFELY!
Even smaller kids could use it safely.
Beats using liquids, or lighting kindling up close and personal.
I split dry wood down to chopstick size... and a stack of those get going like a forge... which lights everything around it.

LOL---I was going to try my heat gun, but it wasn't where I put it.
I had a Shelving laminating edger, and when I closed my Cabinet shop I removed the attached Heat gun, and threw the rest away. I think one of Bear Jr's Tower Climbers borrowed it long ago & it never found it's way home.

Bear

I use a MAP torch made by MagTorch that is self lighting. I got it at Home Depot, kit cam with 3 torch heads, 2 tanks, and plastic storage case. Same as propane, except yellow tanks, burns much hotter.

Been using it for over a year, originally bought it to burn out the bushings in my F250 left springs so I could replace them. Used it for lots of stuff since, including lighting AMPS, 1st tank it just now running out.

Yes this! I've actually used the Bernzamatic propane with a fat bottle for a while then switched to the Mapp gas auto-light. Man! What a handy tool! Actually I bought it to start the wood stove for the Mrs, cuz sometimes she struggles. Not anymore! She gets mad at me because I use it for many other things (including pellets) and doesn't always get put back on the hearth. I need another one...

For dust, a small butane torch would be ideal, but I get my dust lit pretty well with the standard propane torch that I use for sweating copper pipes. You obviously need to get it as low as it can go, and then hold it pretty far away so as not to disturb the dust. It's not ideal, but it works. I didn't get the small butane torch because I just didn't feel like I need another tool, especially since it would just be used for this one job.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky