Torch Recommendations For Lighting AMNPS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grootsquad

Original poster
Mar 31, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
My torch crapped out on me and I'm looking for a solid replacement. What do you guys tend to use? I had a butane one that worked pretty well but I wasn't very happy with it's life span.(About 2 months)

I've had good butane torches that are still working after 15 years... Some folks use "Hot Air" guns.... You will need one that gets HOT....
iu

I use a MAP torch made by MagTorch that is self lighting. I got it at Home Depot, kit cam with 3 torch heads, 2 tanks, and plastic storage case. Same as propane, except yellow tanks, burns much hotter.

Been using it for over a year, originally bought it to burn out the bushings in my F250 left springs so I could replace them. Used it for lots of stuff since, including lighting AMPS, 1st tank it just now running out.

I use a MAP torch made by MagTorch that is self lighting. I got it at Home Depot, kit cam with 3 torch heads, 2 tanks, and plastic storage case. Same as propane, except yellow tanks, burns much hotter.

Been using it for over a year, originally bought it to burn out the bushings in my F250 left springs so I could replace them. Used it for lots of stuff since, including lighting AMPS, 1st tank it just now running out.

Any idea how much this ran you?

I use a weed burner that takes a 1 lb propane bottle. That thing gets used for way more stuff than it intended purpose

Take your pick.
I think mine (Yellow) was in the low 40's at the time I got it.
But to me, quality tools work best.
I can use the high output head, on a 1 pound can and burn the crap out of a lot of stuff.
Does not need expensive fuel.

Little hand held propane torch with 1lb refillable propane bottles. Worth the purchase, I love that little bugger, and before I had it I always struggled keeping things lit. Not any more.

I can't find the kit on HD website, but the head alone is there at $35.97 https://www.homedepot.com/p/MagTorc...ivel-Swirl-Tip-MAP-Pro-Torch-MT565C/300572289

During that F250 Bushing replacement project I spent 2 days in the Missouri summer heat, beating bushings (and my hands a time or two) with a 5# hammer, so when youtube told me to use a MAP torch to burn them out, I would have paid any price they were asking!

I have seen guys use a drill to get those bushings out easy peasy! Drill through the rubber and keep working the drill back and forth and around metal sleeve and it popped right out in a minute or so!

I use a heat gun from Harbor Freight and it works great.

erwe.jpg Mine has a auto igniter though I think I am on 3 years same tank. I have lit it a lot too.

I use this. It is also my tabletop cigar lighter.

A good fart and a well placed lit match is all that's needed.

Chris

Reactions: nanuk
View attachment 372465 Mine has a auto igniter though I think I am on 3 years same tank. I have lit it a lot too.

This (Above) is what I use to light the Pellets in an AMNPS, but mine is auto start, and I use the "Fatboy" tank, because it doesn't fall over as easy.

But for lighting Dust I use a small Butane torch, because the Propane torch will blow the dust out of the tray!!!

Bear

Reactions: nanuk
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky