Top Round Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
Finally found a roast worth buying. Its been close to a year since the stores here have had any decent looking roasts in stock. Partially do to the virus but more to do with eating trends. I guess people here no longer eat roasts or so the butchers say. Thin cut steaks and burger is what sells.

Let the roast swim in Henderson's relish and rubbed it down with a heavy coat of SPOG.

It was super windy 15-20mph with gusts hitting 30mph. I set up the 14.5" WSM with KBB and a chunk of cherry. Set the PartyQ for 250° and torched up the charcoal.

Pulled the roast at 130°. Not sure the exact timing as I wasn't really paying attention. Wasn't under a time frame so it just cooked. Nice not having to check on the pit with the PartyQ just chugging along. I finally had to replace the batteries in the PartyQ. Couldn't tell you how many hours or cooks I've done but its been a lot. So in my book that's great. I put in rechargeable batteries to replace the ones that came with it so we will see how long they last.

50515894133_fd291ee044_c.jpg

50516606091_49e66cebea_c.jpg

50516606621_bb696a9a6a_c.jpg

50516607001_ce9e894473_c.jpg

That looks perfect! Ive noticed its hard to find roasts as well unless your looking for a chuck. I may have to look into the party-Q for my UDS.

That looks delicious! Perfectly cooked for me also!

Ryan

Yeah man, as others said, cooked perfect. :emoji_thumbsup:
Some crusty rolls/baguette, horseradish, and a splash of Henderson's, bang on!

Looks pretty darn tasty.
I see your in a little cooler climate area. We have had no luck with rechargeable batteries when it gets close to the 30-35°. They only last for a few hrs. Have tried them in digital thermometers, headlamps, and 2 way radios.

Outstanding looking roast!! Looks to be perfectly cook. Excellent job and thanks for posting. Now I'm re-thinking our dinner for this evening :emoji_wink:

Robert

A fine looking slab of beef there, done just right, nice work. Might be some French dip sannys in your future, Like! RAY

That looks to be the perfect doneness, and thickness of slices. I'm cooking a 5# one as we speak. Got it for $3/lb when chuck roast was $8/lb. What I really like is having the leftover for sandwiches. I'm good with any thing from a hot Italian to a cold roast beef sandwich.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky