Top round roast and overnight pulled pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

loosechangedru

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Gainesville, FL
Started a couple of boston butts last night on my 18.5 WSM, and had plans for a top round to join them in the morning. I was a little lazy last night, I did not prepare the beef until the morning. Lit chimney @ 10pm, temp stable @235* with applewood, water in the water pan, and butts on by about 1045pm, and off to bed!
20190105_224013.jpg
20190105_224101.jpg
20190105_223837.jpg

Looking good this morning! I ran from 1030pm to 10am, wrapped the butts (they were about 170* and 180*) then refueled with more RO lump and hickory after scraping embers together to the center.

20190106_094737.jpg

Put the beef on at 1030 after leveling out the temp and smoke, but it was still frozen some! I figure it'll be fine. And, again, lazy. My therm on the FB100 only said MEAT LOW lol, but registered 33* about 20-30 minutes in.

20190106_102833.jpg

About 1-2 hours later now, and 1 pork butt is 203* and probe tender :) 1 butt down, 1 butt and 1 roast to go!

Last edited:
Thanks. How do you like the "flame Boss"

It's great. It removes any stress one might have about their smoker temp. First couple times it learns the smoker and gets better and better. Blew through fuel pretty quick at first with a few temperature spikes and drops, and I had my doubts, but it's gotten so much better. Now, it's as predictable as a crockpot. Does well at high temps, too.

Jeff's website says 137 is the perfect temp for this cut of meat in particular to be served, and it seems implied to remove it from the smoker at that temp. I've seen meat rise in temp after removing from the grill, so I wonder if this is going to rise as well. He does give it a 10-15 min rest in tented foil after for "juice redistribution," that's when my chops n' such continue to rise. We aren't eating yet, so I'll use a faux cambro and watch the temp to see what it does.

Well, it turns out the temp rose from 135* to 138.5* and stopped there. I've had it in the cooler for about 45 minutes or so, and its holding steady. An increase of only 3.5 degrees, good to know. Qview will follow!

Thanks, Smokin Canuk!

A reverse sear is slow roasting a steak/chop and then finishing it on a high heat grill. I've seen it on chuck roasts before, too, but not for roast beef.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky