Tomato sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bradger

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
northern NJ
Every now and then i make my own tomato sauce, this morning while i was making my breakfast an idea popped into my head (funny how that can happen). Next time i make my sauce why not try to give it a smokey flavor.
I was thinking of smoking the tomatoes. i usually use cherry.
So i decided to come here, because i figure someone here (probably Chilli) at some point has tried this, and i was wondering how feasible it is.
I more than likely will try this since i have a few days off of work. unless i get a lot of negative results. If i do i will post results.

Reactions: Drums45
I have tried (and failed) to smoke tomatoes for the same reason you are looking to do as well as salsa. I came to the conclusion that the best way (haven’t tried yet) would probably be to take the skin off, get them to the consistency you are looking for, throw them in a pot in the smoker and stir occasionally until to the smoke level you are looking for.

I may try cutting some in half and cold smoking them to see how that turns out this weekend.

Word of advice, tomatoes make a damn mess of the smoker if you are not careful, use a baking sheet that you don’t care about to put them on.

Never smoked them but one time had a bumper crop and roasted the heck out of them on the grill before canning. Insanely good. Skins were totally charred. You might have better luck dehydrating if you want to smoke them.

Yeap, dehydrate them while you're smoking them, they'll take on the smoke the more they dry.

I smoke tomatillos for salsa verde somewhat regularly with great success. Tomatoes shouldn't be too different. Cherry tomatoes tend to have thicker skins as do roma. You may need to cut them in half first. Though eggplant does fine whole smoked. I'd also consider smoking on a tray to catch the juices if I cut them in half.

I'm just heading to work, but can probably post a q-view later this evening.

I think if I was going to try it I would go ahead and make sauce put in pot and cook down in smoker stirring once in a while, same order as dutches baked beans, I think you'll be able to control how much smoke you want. then if you need to cook it down more you could move it to the stove.

Cherry Tomatoes would be a PITA, but Peeling is the key. The skins are there to Protect the fruit. It is pretty impervious to everything, including heat. Look at your salad, the skin let's the Dressing run off like they were covered in Rain-X! Any temp above 250 works but hotter the better. The smoker temp dehydrates the Tomatoes concentrating both smoke and the tomato flavors. A bit of Salt, accelerates the water loss too. Cherry Tomatoes are tasty but a bit watery with too little meat to make a sauce without a long cook and A LOT of them. Roma or Paste Tomatoes are a first choice but this time of year, anything I have gets sauced out...JJ

Here we go.
DSCF3336.JPG

Sorry I lost the picture of them just out of smoker.
fresh herbs I used.
DSCF3341.JPG
lightly sauteed
DSCF3342.JPG
the adding the tomatoes
DSCF3343.JPG
after mixing with boat motor
DSCF3344.JPG
finished
DSCF3345.JPG
and on my lunchthis
DSCF3351.JPG
This came out very well, i think the key was letting the tomatoes sit since taking out of smoker on Friday.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6GRILLZNTN and JJS
cold smoke for about 4 used hickory pellets in the maze smoker. it had a decent smoke flavor.
it might work for your salsa.

I smoke them quite often. Just cut them in half and smoke at 250 for about an hour or until they are getting really soft. Never done cherry ones though, usually larger ones.
We use them for salsa, chili, or just eat them on their own as a side dish.

Never done cherry ones though, usually larger ones.
you should try the cherry, i think they picked up the smoke better. They way I use the maze is once it starts smoking heavily I turn the burner off i had it sitting on.

Every now and then i make my own tomato sauce, this morning while i was making my breakfast an idea popped into my head (funny how that can happen). Next time i make my sauce why not try to give it a smokey flavor.
I was thinking of smoking the tomatoes. i usually use cherry.
So i decided to come here, because i figure someone here (probably Chilli) at some point has tried this, and i was wondering how feasible it is.
I more than likely will try this since i have a few days off of work. unless i get a lot of negative results. If i do i will post results.
I smoked meatballs last week at a chef friend’s suggestion. They turned out great! So, like you I thought about making smoked tomato sauce. I’ve failed at smokin veggies before when I was first starting my smokin adventure, but now with some years of experience I wanna try it. I think I’ll try smokin the pork neck bones and using them to start my sauce on the stovetop. If that’s not enough smoke flavor I’ll put the sauce in a disposable pan and smoke for a half hour at a time until I get a desired flavor. Good luck there. The meatballs,
3 Oz Each took one hour n the smoker I used cherry with a touch of hickory at 230-245. Happy smokin’!

That will work. We like sauce with meat! I have cut an entire 8 pound Butts into 2-3" chunks, smoke them a couple hours, and add to my sauce. About 3 Hours of simmering gets the meat fork tender and give a wonderful flavor to the sauce...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky