Tomato Pie -Just had to make it

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GATOR240

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 15, 2017
N.Western Pa.
Ever since I saw the post by @wboggs earlier in the week I knew that I needed to try this. I followed the recipe exactly. We could only fit three tomatoes in the shell as they were fairly large. It turned out very well. I gave it a very light smoke using pecan pellets since it was the first time that we ever had it. We have one more pie shell so I will make another one at some point and am thinking of adding crumbled bacon to it.

IMG_0563.JPG
IMG_0566.JPG
IMG_0567.JPG
IMG_0569.JPG
IMG_0570.JPG
IMG_0571.JPG

- Thanks for looking

That looks awesome! I'm not even a huge tomato fan, but I need to try this!
I've got to ask about the mailbox?

I'm a TPF (tomato pie fan).

I've baked quite a few over the years, but never in a smoker.

I'm going to give it a shot.

Bacon doesn't sound bad.

I've gradually turned mine 'pie' into a deep dish pizza.

That looks awesome! I'm not even a huge tomato fan, but I need to try this!
I've got to ask about the mailbox?

Thanks Mattkm. That is where I put my amnps pellet tray. I had first started using the mailbox for cold smoking cheese and then gradually started using it for almost every smoke. I use the amnps in place of the chip tray and I use the mailbox mod for smoke management so that I don't need to open the door and let the heat escape out of the smoker. When I cold smoke, I stretch the flex vent out to about 6'-8' to scrub off additional heat before it reaches the smoker (i think it helps). I have also had good luck with the amnps inside the smoker but have come to just prefer the mailbox mod. You can do a search on "mailbox mods" on this site for a lot more information on this.

Looks awesome there go make a couple at the Gathering. Our recipe is a little different I will send it to you.

Warren
Thanks for the like Warren. That sounds like a plan for the gathering. If you send the recipe, I will try it! I have one more pie crust left.

I plan to do this some time this week..looks good Gator! The bacon idea sounds lovely..and I got a package of crumbled bacon sitting around...might do one as is, one with bacon!

Thank you for the like Tom. I believe someone on this site mentioned the bacon and gave me the idea. I can see how easily this could be turned into a deep dish pizza as H Heyoleman said.......bacon, sausage, some of SmokinAl SmokinAl 's pepperoni.......:)

Nice Job Denny!!:)
Actually the first Mater Pie I ever saw!! (Believe it or Not)
Cool !!
Like.

Bear

Thanks Mattkm. That is where I put my amnps pellet tray. I had first started using the mailbox for cold smoking cheese and then gradually started using it for almost every smoke. I use the amnps in place of the chip tray and I use the mailbox mod for smoke management so that I don't need to open the door and let the heat escape out of the smoker. When I cold smoke, I stretch the flex vent out to about 6'-8' to scrub off additional heat before it reaches the smoker (i think it helps). I have also had good luck with the amnps inside the smoker but have come to just prefer the mailbox mod. You can do a search on "mailbox mods" on this site for a lot more information on this.
I will search it up! I figured it would be a cool smoking trick I needed to learn!
And I'm going to try a tomato pie today too, I was trying to think of something else to add to the smoker, this will be perfect.

Gator240
Don't want to high jack your thread but you asked for it so here it is.

1 pie crust
6 - 8 tomatoes if to watery drain We find pasta tomatoes work well not as watery
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1 cup mayo
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
bunch chopped basil
1 - 2 tablespoons chopped garlic

Preheat oven 325 degrees
Put pie crust in pan sprinkle with one hand full of mozzarella cheese and bake at 325 for about 15 minutes or until crust is brown and crispy. Chop tomatoes - mix mayo and rest of mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, basil, and garlic in bowl, put tomatoes in pie pan (you can pile tomatoes as high as you like) spread cheese mixture over top of tomatoes. Bake about 35 minutes or until brown on top and bubbly serve at room temperature.

You can modify garlic to your taste and use shredded parmesan cheese grated or powdery is to salty.

Warren

Nice Job Denny!!:)
Actually the first Mater Pie I ever saw!! (Believe it or Not)
Cool !!
Like.

Bear

Thanks for the like John. It was also the first one I ever saw too!! I will definitely make another one and possibly add some type of meat (or not).

I will search it up! I figured it would be a cool smoking trick I needed to learn!
And I'm going to try a tomato pie today too, I was trying to think of something else to add to the smoker, this will be perfect.
Sounds like a plan Matt, you should be able to find lots of information. How did the pie turn out??

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky