to much smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rogbowy

Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
I have Masterbuilt electric smoker. My question is it possible there is to much build up, from the smoke,  causing the flavor of th much smoke. I use apple chips and cook at 220. After reading the last forum I think I am cooking at to low temp. Please give me any suggestion that might improve my smoking experience. I am new at smoking.

Thanks in advance

Rogbowy

Howdy!  I noticed that this is your first post here at SMF.  Would you mind popping over to Roll Call so we can give you a proper SMF Welcome?  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/133/roll-call

I am not familiar with your smoker.  BUT...too much smoke can make your meats taste funny. To me...the temps will depend on what meat you are smoking. I own a Propane smoker and run my temps between 250-275 now...but that is my preference. 

Some one who is more familiar with your smoker will chime in soon.

Kat

Two things:

1.  Make sure the vent on top of the unit is fully open.  You want a steady flow of smoke from the wood, around the food, and out the top

2. 220 sound low, but it depends on what you are cooking.

Run the smoker on max when finished for a couple three hours.....   that should get rid of most of the creosote....  I switched to the AMNPS and I don't have creosote any longer....  

Dave

Run the smoker on max when finished for a couple three hours.....   that should get rid of most of the creosote....  I switched to the AMNPS and I don't have creosote any longer....  

Dave
Dave X2...Check out the AMNPS...http://www.amazenproducts.com...It's 20% Off along with the Pellets until Sunday, 6/16. Can't beat that Price!...JJ

COUPON CODE =  SMFDAD1

Last edited:
Agree with the above. Run vents wide open.
Also, be careful not to use too much wood. With this smoker, I actually found that if I burn the wood chips dry instead of wet, I get a better result, especially with no water in the pan. (maybe just a little sand).

Really, the key is not too much wood. Don't stuff it full. If you are doing a Butt, about 4 hrs of smoke is all you need, spares 3 hrs, baby's 2 hrs. I would bring up the temp a little too. I always found 230 to be my sweet spot with this build. (for a pork Butt, 250 for ribs).

Just a few things I have run into with this smoker, but the key is to keep playing with it and find what method works best for you! Good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

First let me say thank all you for the welcome. Your suggestions. I will try a couple of and let you know what works.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky