To all OTBS members

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jbest123

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
What is your method of insuring a TBS through the smoke? What are the things to do to avoid a thick white smoke?:grilling_smilie:

Control your temperature of your heat source

Control your amount of flammable material

Control your amount of oxygen intake/output (draft)

Know your equipment and its limitations

What Pops said, plus make sure you are using dryed and seasoned wood. But a lot of it will vary depending on your equipment and fuel type.

I use a Weber Smokey Mountain with charcoal, so I start with about 5 or 6 fist sized chunks of wood mixed in with my minion, then I can just toss a few more chunks in as needed later in the smoke. But like I said it will vary with equipment.

What they said. I load mine up like Johnny, mixing the chunks in with the charcoal. At startup I get some white smoke but once the temp stabilizes it's TBS for hours.

As said,

The goal is TBS but when adding fuel we all tend to get a thicker smoke then desired.  The idea is to have a hot enough fire and small enough sized fuel that the volatile compounds burn quickly and completely.  Any excess moisture in the fuel is rapidly burned off.  One common mistake made by small offset users is that they use large sticks or chunks of fuel that take a long time to reach a good combustion temperature.  That's why we so often use charcoal as the fuel source and add chips for flavoring.

Control your temperature of your heat source

Control your amount of flammable material

Control your amount of oxygen intake/output (draft)

Know your equipment and its limitations
Pops just laid it out for you... simple and straight. It';s all good my friend.

My take is a little different since I use a watt burner. I set the temp and now I only use the AMAZIN Smoker as my smoke source. That unit allows me to have great smoke control.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky