timing...?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eppo

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
Lindenhurst, NY
this upcoming sunday i play to do a Pork Butt for some pulled pork.

we usually eat dinner at about 6pm. i was wondering if you guys have any methods of timing when your food comes out? do you estimate, and start a little early? like say i want to be eating at 6, should i estimate a finish time of 4, that way it should be done before dinner time rather than later? just dont want to keep the family waiting.

thanks

I rough guess the 1-1.5 hour per pound then add 2 hours for the wrap in foil and cooler.And if its cold i add another hour or so.Every smoke is differant and i mostly cook using temps but i try to know when its going to be about done....depending on the stall if any.Most of the time you can get it pretty close with the 1-1.5 per pound but sometimes....its bbq and you can't rush it,its done when its done.

I usually figure 2 hours per lb that way I give myself extra time and I know it will be done early then I let it rest in the cooler until its time to eat. Or like les3176 said figure 1.5 hours per lb of meat and then give yourself 2 or so hours extra wiggle room for resting in the cooler.

2 hours per pound or a few extra will prolly work.

This also means starting off with an already warmed up and smoking smoker.

I just did a 6 pounder that went really well.

Up at 5am to get the smoker and meat ready.

In the smoker at 6...out at 165 to be foiled and back in til 5 to 205.

Rested til 6,pulled and eaten.

Good luck and have fun!!

Craig

Last edited:
ALLWAYS!!!! Start earlier than you think you need to.

Smoke to temps and then wrap in a double layer of foil. Wrap in a towel and place in a warm dry ice chest .It will stay hot for 5 hrs easily.

Pull  right before serving.

Another option is to smoke it the day before, then just re-heat it on gameday, whatever works best for you.

Well it sure looks like everyone else has answered your question so let me be the first to say

Welcome Eppo to SMF. You'll like it here cause there are alot of really good folks that would just love to help you with anything to do with smoking. Now we like having new folks here to give a new prospective on some of the ways we do things around here. Now if you are really new then I would suggest that you sign up fir the 5-day E-course it free and it will give you the basics on smoking and a few recipes too. Here's a link to it:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/list/127

then you will have a method to your newly found madness and believe me it will be a madness. Then when you start smoking things you will have to learn how to post the pictures / Qview 

here. So here's a link to a tutorial on how to post your Qview so we can see what your doing.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/82034/how-to-post-qview-to-smf

Now the next thing you have to do is run out and get something to smoke. Then just smoke it and if you have any questions just post  them here and we will answer all your questions that you might have. Oh yea there's no stupid questions we were all there in the beginning and we just really like to help others enjoy the fabulous smoked foods that we do. So again

Welcome to Your New Addiction    

Last edited:
I agree with eman. Start early & just wrap & put in cooler. They stay too hot too handle for hours.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky