Time for home made pasta sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

redneck5236

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 24, 2019
My wife stopped at our local farm market yesterday looking for Watermellon ! Well she came home with everything to make sauce ! Was not expecting to make sauce for a few weeks yet ! But sauce day it was ! I blanch peel and cut the tomatoes ! Dice peppers and onions ! Seasonings then cook outside in a electric roaster all day on the patio ! Use a plunge blender to blend all chunks when cooked ! Let the sauce cool then put in gallon freezer bags and freeze!

Attachments

• 0820210821_HDR.jpg
    0820210821_HDR.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 0820210821.jpg
    0820210821.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 0820210833_HDR.jpg
    0820210833_HDR.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 0820210833.jpg
    0820210833.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 0820210837_HDR.jpg
    0820210837_HDR.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 0820211003.jpg
    0820211003.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 0820211355.jpg
    0820211355.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 0820211748.jpg
    0820211748.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 57
Very nice . Love it .
My Son makes the sauce around here .
Nice work on that .

YUMMM!!!!
That sauce looks awesome, peeling tomato skins is a pain in the ass.

I have to do the same thing sometime this week, I've been putting it off until I have a few helpers.
A few years ago I found my Nona's food mills in a box in storage, so now I don't peel or remove the seeds.
I blanch, then run everything through the food mills to remove the skins and seeds, it's messy but the sauce turns out so much sweeter when the seeds are removed. I know a lot of people that just add a touch of brown sugar or honey to counteract the bitterness of the seeds, and their sauce is great.

Nice work brother, I know how much work goes into making a good sauce and yours looks perfect.
And I love your GE roaster/ slow cooker I had one for years, and it finally died. We still have Nona's old Westinghouse roaster with the base in storage, with no place to put it in our house right now.
1629518431670.png

Dan:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Last edited:
Heck ya! Looks really good. Just hard to beat homemade.

Ryan

The sauce looks great. Nice color and consistency. I'll be making a big batch of sauce for my middle Daughters B-Day. The twist, she wants Pork Sauce! 16 pounds of Pork Butt, simmered in the sauce until it is fork tender. Takes on a great flavor.

I know a lot of people that just add a touch of brown sugar or honey to counteract the bitterness of the seeds, and their sauce

A trick Grandma learned from an Italian neighbor. Instead of Sugar, she added one or two Peeled Carrots, cut in 3 to 4" lengths. Really knocks down the Acidity and adds a touch of natural sweetness and that, I can't put my finger on it, good flavor. I love to eat the Carrots. Learned the hard way that More is Not Better! Once, instead of 2 Carrots, I added 6, cut in 1" chunks. I figured more of a good thing to enjoy. The sauce had an Overpowering Carrot flavor that was not good. My family was angry and would not eat the sauce. Got tossed out...JJ

My Mom tosses a few carrots into her sauce as well, personally I can't tell the difference between Mom's sauce and mine. I'll throw a few in on this next batch for the hell of it. My wife likes a sweeter sauce then I do, I prefer to add lots of fresh basil, garlic, heavily caramelized onion and split beef bones into my sauce to get the marrow off them......YUM!!!

• Love
Reactions: chef jimmyj
Instead of Sugar, she added one or two Peeled Carrots, cut in 3 to 4" lengths. Really knocks down the Acidity and adds a touch of natural sweetness
My son uses carrots in his . I always thought the sweetness was the difference , but since you said it , it's the acidity .

Nice, redneck!!
I've been wanting to make pasta sauce but don't have any way to lose the seeds. I see it's not absolutely necessary.
Great thread!

Nice, redneck!!
I've been wanting to make pasta sauce but don't have any way to lose the seeds. I see it's not absolutely necessary.
Great thread!
The plunge blender pretty much takes care of the seeds and chunks ! Be making a second batch but it will be a hot and spicy sauce use a lot of hot peppers and some franks red hot ! Makes great sauce to cook hot sausage in the crock pot ! Makes a great football Sunday winter meal!

YUMMM!!!!
That sauce looks awesome, peeling tomato skins is a pain in the ass.

I have to do the same thing sometime this week, I've been putting it off until I have a few helpers.
A few years ago I found my Nona's food mills in a box in storage, so now I don't peel or remove the seeds.
I blanch, then run everything through the food mills to remove the skins and seeds, it's messy but the sauce turns out so much sweeter when the seeds are removed. I know a lot of people that just add a touch of brown sugar or honey to counteract the bitterness of the seeds, and their sauce is great.

Nice work brother, I know how much work goes into making a good sauce and yours looks perfect.
And I love your GE roaster/ slow cooker I had one for years, and it finally died. We still have Nona's old Westinghouse roaster with the base in storage, with no place to put it in our house right now.
View attachment 508392

Dan:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:
The roaster with the stand is nice ! Seen a couple through the years . I would not have room for one . I use my roaster to make pasta sauce . Homemade vegetable soup and homemade chili ! Freeze the soup and chili in bags too ! bags stack up nice in the upright freezer . Makes for quick easy meals with the great homemade taste!

Reactions: forktender
Nice, redneck!!
Great thread!
You can always cut the tom's in half and scoop out the majority of the seed with a spoon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky