Tiger Sauce for the"2nd rub" before putting the brisket in foil.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Millberry

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 12, 2020
Buford, GA
I saw someone use Tiger Sauce and "something else" on a brisket before wrapping in foil after bark was formed. I was trying to get up the nerve to try it. Now I can not find it. I have only used Tiger Sauce on pork. I thought I saved the article--but "poof"- I have lost it. Does anyone have any idea of what I am referring to? Has anyone tried it? Does it sound good or not?

There is 10 pages of posts that mention Tiger Sauce. But nothing, I can find, with Brisket and Tiger Sauce...There is Tiger Sauce and Raspberry Jam, as a glaze for Jowl Burnt Ends. And a reference to Tiger Sauce and Dr. Pepper or Cola for spritz ingredients or Foiling. Either of these ring a bell?...JJ

Reactions: forktender
Not something I would use by itself on a brisket I guess the way I look at it if you have a rub then bbq sauce then tiger sauce with something it starts to get a little too much.

Last edited:
Not Tiger sauce but similar Pickapepper sauce. I've used this stuff for years on Tri tips, Ball tips and Briskets not full strength though. I add two bottles to about 2 cups of H2o and spray or mop the meat down with it before adding the salt and pepper or whatever rub you're using.
I grew up in a cattle town and learned this from one of the ranchers that made the best brisket and T.T. I've ever tasted it was like pulling teeth getting his secret mop from him...LOL I'm not kidding I asked him about it for close to 10 years before he told me about it he was super sick with cancer and I think he just wanted to pass it down to me. The good thing is he is still alive and well 20 years later, thank God.
Buy a bottle and see if you like the taste it has a nice peppery taste to it and it darkens up the meat really nice. I hardly ever wrap but if I did I'd probably add 2 cups of beef broth and to bottles of the secret sauce to the wrap...it's good stuff!!!
1605524692166.png

I forgot to mention that most supermarkets and the Dollar General stores around here carry it.
If you try it let me know how you like it.

Good luck.
Dan

Not Tiger sauce but similar Pickapepper sauce. I've used this stuff for years on Tri tips, Ball tips and Briskets not full strength though. I add two bottles to about 2 cups of H2o and spray or mop the meat down with it before adding the salt and pepper or whatever rub you're using.
I grew up in a cattle town and learned this from one of the ranchers that made the best brisket and T.T. I've ever tasted it was like pulling teeth getting his secret mop from him...LOL I'm not kidding I asked him about it for close to 10 years before he told me about it he was super sick with cancer and I think he just wanted to pass it down to me. The good thing is he is still alive and well 20 years later, thank God.
Buy a bottle and see if you like the taste it has a nice peppery taste to it and it darkens up the meat really nice. I hardly ever wrap but if I did I'd probably add 2 cups of beef broth and to bottles of the secret sauce to the wrap...it's good stuff!!!
View attachment 471132

I forgot to mention that most supermarkets and the Dollar General stores around here carry it.
If you try it let me know how you like it.

Good luck.
Dan
You are soooo nice. Thak you. I will definitely try this. I have tasted it before. Just use it in a spray before the rub? no time else?
OK--I've got to tell you my story. Same scenario nearly. I got beat up real bad a zillion years ago. Got back home and my friend was cooking his hamburgers on the grill. Noboby had hamburgers like this. I mean GOOOD. He never would tell me how he did it. I guess he felt sorry for me--broken face bones- teeth gone...etc. I guess he had mercy and told me. I never would try his recipe because he added 1/2 can Ken'l Ration dog food (It was a gov't inspected dog food that a few poor folks even ate back then) to his hamburger meat!!!

LOL...I would have loved to know how your friend arrived at adding Dog Food to his burger mix! He needed to Stretch the meat one night? Made a test Patty and thought, " somethings missing..." while Staring at the partial can of Ken'l Ration on the counter? Was there anything else added? That story is too funny. Too bad you never asked, WHY!?!?...JJ

He was a character--and a heavy drinker. Listen--you just make up that Pickapepper & water and spray or rub on before the rub? That's the only time you use it? You must have a lot left over. Charlie

P.S.--You don't understand chef jimmy--I want to follow in your footsteps. I want to know it all. I wish to be rich and good-looking like you.....so tell me your rub also......LOL j/k
( of course knowing you cattle folks---Salt & Pepper rub)

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
My Bro, Dan aka forktender forktender , is the Pickapepper Sauce man so I'll let him answer you there.
As far as sharing what this Good Looking, though unfortunately not Rich, Chef has to offer, You are welcome to all the knowledge I have accumulated over the past 50 years. The Recipes Below should get you started. Check out ALL my Recipes in the link provided...JJ

My Go To Beef Rub and Smokey Au Jus recipes...

Bubba Beef Rub

Good on anything Beef. Burgers and Steaks too!

2T Turbinado Sugar
2T Kosher Salt
2T Black Peppercorns
1T Coriander Seed
1T Dill Seed
1T Dry Minced Onion
1T Dry Minced Garlic
1T Dry Lemon Peel (optional)
1tsp Allspice Berries
1tsp Dry Thyme Leaves
3 Bay Leaves, crumbled

1T Red Pepper Flakes or Other Hot Chile of choice. (Optional)

All Spices are Whole and are toasted in a dry pan over Medium heat until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. The Garlic and Onion do not need to be toasted.

Let the Spices cool then Grind in a cheapo Coffee Grinder until slightly less than Coarse. Mix with the Salt and Sugar. Store in an air tight container. Makes about a Half cup...JJ

Many folks enjoy dipping their Beef in Au Jus for flavor and moisture. This recipe is made in the Smoker while a Beef Roast or Brisket is being cooked.

Smokey Au Jus
1- Lg Onion,
4-5 Carrots,
3-4 Ribs Celery
3-4 Peeled Cloves of Garlic

Toss them in a pan under the Beef, and let the whole deal Smoke for one hour,

THEN add 4-6 Cups Beef Broth,

2 Tbs Tomato Paste,
1/2tsp Dry Thyme (4-5 sprigs Fresh)
1-2 ea Bayleaf

Finish the Smoking process to the IT you want.

While the Roast is resting, dump the pan juices veggies and all into a 2-3Qt Sauce pot and add 1Cup Red Wine, something you like to drink, and bring the Jus to a boil, lower the heat and simmer 20-30 minutes. Strain out the veggies and let the Jus rest a minute or so for the Fat to rise. Skim off the bulk of the fat then using strips of paper towel laid on top of the Jus, drag quickly across to take off the last little bit of fat.

The purpose of Smoking the Vegetable for 1 hour before adding the Broth and Herbs is...The Smoked vegetables Roast in the Dry heat concentrating their Flavors and Sweetness giving the finished Jus a Richer, Deeper, Full Flavor.

Serve the sliced Beef Au Jus or thicken the Jus to make Gravy.

NOTE: If you are using this recipe with Brisket or a long smoke, additional Water will have to be added periodically to maintain the proper volume. Do not add more Broth as repeated addition and reduction will make the Au Jus too salty..

Reactions: MJB05615
My Bro, Dan aka forktender forktender , is the Pickapepper Sauce man so I'll let him answer you there.
As far as sharing what this Good Looking, though unfortunately not Rich, Chef has to offer, You are welcome to all the knowledge I have accumulated over the past 50 years. The Recipes Below should get you started. Check out ALL my Recipes in the link provided...JJ

My Go To Beef Rub and Smokey Au Jus recipes...

Bubba Beef Rub

Good on anything Beef. Burgers and Steaks too!

2T Turbinado Sugar
2T Kosher Salt
2T Black Peppercorns
1T Coriander Seed
1T Dill Seed
1T Dry Minced Onion
1T Dry Minced Garlic
1T Dry Lemon Peel (optional)
1tsp Allspice Berries
1tsp Dry Thyme Leaves
3 Bay Leaves, crumbled

1T Red Pepper Flakes or Other Hot Chile of choice. (Optional)

All Spices are Whole and are toasted in a dry pan over Medium heat until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. The Garlic and Onion do not need to be toasted.

Let the Spices cool then Grind in a cheapo Coffee Grinder until slightly less than Coarse. Mix with the Salt and Sugar. Store in an air tight container. Makes about a Half cup...JJ

Many folks enjoy dipping their Beef in Au Jus for flavor and moisture. This recipe is made in the Smoker while a Beef Roast or Brisket is being cooked.

Smokey Au Jus
1- Lg Onion,
4-5 Carrots,
3-4 Ribs Celery
3-4 Peeled Cloves of Garlic

Toss them in a pan under the Beef, and let the whole deal Smoke for one hour,

THEN add 4-6 Cups Beef Broth,

2 Tbs Tomato Paste,
1/2tsp Dry Thyme (4-5 sprigs Fresh)
1-2 ea Bayleaf

Finish the Smoking process to the IT you want.

While the Roast is resting, dump the pan juices veggies and all into a 2-3Qt Sauce pot and add 1Cup Red Wine, something you like to drink, and bring the Jus to a boil, lower the heat and simmer 20-30 minutes. Strain out the veggies and let the Jus rest a minute or so for the Fat to rise. Skim off the bulk of the fat then using strips of paper towel laid on top of the Jus, drag quickly across to take off the last little bit of fat.

The purpose of Smoking the Vegetable for 1 hour before adding the Broth and Herbs is...The Smoked vegetables Roast in the Dry heat concentrating their Flavors and Sweetness giving the finished Jus a Richer, Deeper, Full Flavor.

Serve the sliced Beef Au Jus or thicken the Jus to make Gravy.

NOTE: If you are using this recipe with Brisket or a long smoke, additional Water will have to be added periodically to maintain the proper volume. Do not add more Broth as repeated addition and reduction will make the Au Jus too salty..

Well--I can never thank you enough. I really appreciate this... (my mouth is watering as I read this).....Charlie

I saw someone use Tiger Sauce and "something else" on a brisket before wrapping in foil after bark was formed. I was trying to get up the nerve to try it. Now I can not find it. I have only used Tiger Sauce on pork. I thought I saved the article--but "poof"- I have lost it. Does anyone have any idea of what I am referring to? Has anyone tried it? Does it sound good or not?
I love the stuff. I posted using it on beef ribs but no wraps. I use it as a flavor profile on pork ribs often

Reactions: Millberry
He was a character--and a heavy drinker. Listen--you just make up that Pickapepper & water and spray or rub on before the rub? That's the only time you use it? You must have a lot left over. Charlie

P.S.--You don't understand chef jimmy--I want to follow in your footsteps. I want to know it all. I wish to be rich and good-looking like you.....so tell me your rub also......LOL j/k
( of course knowing you cattle folks---Salt & Pepper rub)
I actually will spray briskets every hour or so with it and when it hits an I.T. of about 160- 170 I'll throw on some more coarse salt and pepper and let it ride until it's done anywhere between 195-210* depending on the tenderness you're looking for.

Good luck.
Dan.

P.S. please don't add any dog food to the recipe. LMAO!!!!!

LMBO. Thank you so much for helping me.. I am trying this one next. Thanks an awful lot (bow-wow)

There is 10 pages of posts that mention Tiger Sauce. But nothing, I can find, with Brisket and Tiger Sauce...There is Tiger Sauce and Raspberry Jam, as a glaze for Jowl Burnt Ends. And a reference to Tiger Sauce and Dr. Pepper or Cola for spritz ingredients or Foiling. Either of these ring a bell?...JJ
LOOOOONG time...no talk. Hope you are doing fine. I have a quick question....recipe for Rid Roast using Tiger Sauce? Will it be hot? Thanks Jimmy

You didn't know. And welcome back.
Steve, I appreciate that. Sorry to hear it. The reason I have disappeared is embarrassing. I don't know if it is old age or Covid or what-BUT I can NOT tell if something is smoked or cooked in the oven anymore. I can't TASTE that smoke. Wife can't either..SO I have 2 smokers rusting away. So sad.....about my taste buds and about Jimmy. Merry Christmas to you my friend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky