thuringer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grimreeper

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Moosomin, SK
hello all I would like your input on this recipe, it is from the book The sausage-Making cookbook.

5 lbs fine ground pork butt
4 tbsp salt
1 tbsp black pepper
1/2 tsp ground ginger
3 tbsp sugar
1 cup Rhine wine

combine all ingredients, mix well and refrigerate for 48 hours. Stuff into large hog casing, and cool smoke with for 6-8 hours. Dry for approximately 6-8 weeks.

Please tell me what you think.

I don't know much about making sausage. But since there is no cure in it, how can you cold smoke it for 6-8 hours? It has to get above 140 in 4 hours to be safe.

True that

You will need some sort of cure and being this dries 6-8 weeks it needs cure # to be stable for that long. Most Thuringer is smoked at 110* for a few hours.

This can be made with cure #1 also.

Here is how i would do it.

3.5 lbs pork butt

1.5 lbs lean GB

3 Tbs salt

1 level tsp cure #1

2 Tbs powdered dextrose

1/2 Tbs black pepper

1/2 tsp ginger.......Powdered ginger. Ginger is a natural tenderizer so be careful.

1/2 Tbs whole pepper corns

3/4 cup fermento

1/2 cup cold water

Fiberous casings, prob 2

Grind pork but with med plate. Mix all the dry with the water (incorporates better into the meat) Add to meat and mix well. You can put the meat mix in a plastic covered container for 4 days so it gets the tangy sour flavor before you stuff and smoke. Smoke at 110* for 3-8 hrs. After smoke raise the temp to 145* no smoke. Your looking for a meat IT of 138-140. This can take several hours to rech.

Good luck 

icon_cool.gif

I would have to agree with Nepas on this one he knows what he's talking about. Now if you don't use the cure your sausage would spoil just hanging outside.

Thanks for all comments. I was wandering that myself with the lack of cure in it. The author Jerry Predika dose not believe in using cures he says in his book that if enough salt is used you don't need the cures. All his recipies have no cures.

No pun intended, but if you don't use a cure you may be visited by your namesake the grimreeper, not really, you'll just be praying at the porcelain alter. Like mballi says Nepas really knows sausage and you would be ill advised not to take his advice. 

Grimreeper,

The author of your book may be correct.  The salt makes water less available to the bacteria, slowing their growth.  It was a method used commonly in the old days and in specialty sausages today.   I would also think the Rhine wine raises the acidity of the sausage further reducing bacterial activity.  That is one affect of the Fermento suggested by Nepas, raising the acidity of the sausage.  When cures are added to these types of sausages it is normally to reduce the growth of bacteria until the culture (fermento) makes the product acidic enough to have an effect.  That is one reason you will see Cure 1 (a short term cure) used in fermented sausages instead of Cure 2, because the long term protection is provided by the reduced availability of the water (salt) and lower pH (fermento, Rhine wine).  I do suggest that if at anytime you are unfamiliar or uncomfortable with any procedure you happen along, go ahead and think twice, see if another author has a similar recipe or if someone can attest to it's safety.

Last edited:
Gee thanks i didn't know my name was so popular. lol. This guy in his books refers to preserving sausages with out the use of cure. He goes on to say that some of these recipes goes back to the old country. I am just wandering how they made sausages before cures.

In the old days heavy salt was applied to meats for curing. My grandmother told me that they used to mix heavy amounts of salt with lard and sink large chunks of meat down into the salted lard. This cured the meat and kept air and bugs away from the meat.

And way way way back the Chinese found this. (I think it was the chinese)

bee429b2_DSC00297.jpg

And someone found the cure properties with it. CAUTION If you use Saltpetre you need to know the EXACT amount to use. This is pure not cut with salt or sugar.

Thank you alblancher, I now you have to use cure. This guy dose not use any type of cure in his sausages as he dose not want the bad chemicals as he calls it, The reason i was asking about this is my grandfather loves my sausages i make but he cant take to much with the cures in them do to his blood, it seems to much will effect his medication he is on. So when my local butcher showed me this book and i read it and he dose not use these typs of cures, but salt instead. I wanted to find out if this would work by asking you guys. I went out and bought the book for myself, to keep it in my collection. So buy reading his resipe the way he has it will it work. I have listened to my grandparents on how they used to do this and they said the same thing that they never used cures, it was all salt.

Grim,

Not sure what your GF's health situation is or what meds he uses, but I would normally think that using the proper amount of the proper cure, would not be as bad for most people as the amount of salt it would take to cure meat without the cure.

Just my two cents,

Bear

if he has on slice of salami or summer sausage that he buys his lips turn blue and they swell up. I was just asking about this one recipie. thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky