Three turkeys brined, cured and smoked on the Smokin-It #3

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dert

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
MPLS MN
Here they are, 18, 15.5,15.5#ers:

Brining tonight in 4 gallons, into each 1c brown and white sugar, one cup of canning salt, and one tablespoon of cure#1 for the 2 small ones... we'll roast the big one for some gravy without cure.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing the smoked photos.  I've been wanting to try turkeys using a cure, wonder how it affects the flavor.  You'll have to give us your opinion on these.

Thanks for sharing!

Dert

Nice post, not sure how I missed that.  I think I'm going to try this, was the smoke flavor very strong?  Also, when you say dry the birds longer, do you mean after taking out of the brine?

How many turkeys have you done in the last couple of weeks?  You're a machine!

Starting the drying...outside, but a little to cold at 18 degrees F:

Into the garage at 40 for the night, will smoke Wednesday!

Two hours in, IT of 81 degrees F...

22 degrees F and a stiff 25 mph "breeze"

Turkeys are 125/140 @ 8:00 down to 20 degrees F, extra windy here in southern MN.

I had to give up! Pulled them out at 10:00...

Temps were still too cool...

Finishing off in the oven, apparently the #3 cannot keep up with 25 mph winds@

Last edited:

Looking forward to seeing the smoked photos.  I've been wanting to try turkeys using a cure, wonder how it affects the flavor.  You'll have to give us your opinion on these.

Thanks for sharing!
I can tell ya how it affects the flavor. It will give the turkey a slight hammy taste. I add cure all the time to my turkeys and the one time I didn't every one asked what was different they were not as good. I brine them in a honey brine as well.

Whacked them up from 1-1:30... cooled outside and now in the fridge.

Moist n good!

Last edited:
drool.gif
Looks-Great.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky