Thoughts on when to mix NFDM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buzzy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 11, 2007
Cumberland Co. PA
I just started using ECA to make summer sausage last year. Have made 2 batches so far. First 1 not so good .Texture was mushy. Blame it on old ECA. 2nd one was really good. Had the tang I was looking for. The NFDM makes it real hard to mix after night in frig which I always do with my mix before stuffing & smoking. Can I mix the NFDM with the ECA in the morning before smoking an get the same results?
Thanks for guidance in advance.

Mushy
Did you mix the ECA in and fridge it or use too much?

You can add the nfpdm and eca in just before stuffing/smoking

Mushy
Did you mix the ECA in and fridge it or use too much?

You can add the nfpdm and eca in just before stuffing/smoking
No! it was about 3 years old. Stuffed & in the smoker.
Thanks that is what I wasn't sure about. Plan on cutting back on ice water for first mix then using rest to mix with ECA & NFDM.

Maybe try buttermilk powder and some cultured buttermilk instead of the NFDM and ECA?

Just a thought. I liked the results.

Reactions: wishbonz
I just started using ECA to make summer sausage last year. Have made 2 batches so far. First 1 not so good .Texture was mushy. Blame it on old ECA. 2nd one was really good. Had the tang I was looking for. The NFDM makes it real hard to mix after night in frig which I always do with my mix before stuffing & smoking. Can I mix the NFDM with the ECA in the morning before smoking an get the same results?

Last edited:
When making smoked sausages, I've started mixing the NFDM powder in with the added water and using my immersion blender to emulsify it into a smooth thick paste. This has eliminated the small clumps of powdered milk I use to get in the mix. Very thorough blend now...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky