This Little Piggy!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Jul 7, 2005
Midvale, UT
Finally got around to smoking a roasting pig on the Lang 60D. Also did a batch of my Wicked Baked Beans!
20210801_085550.jpg
20210801_113350.jpg
20210801_132344.jpg
20210801_161426.jpg
20210801_122903.jpg

Very nice looking Porker! The skin looks like it would be crispy...JJ

Reactions: Dutch
That sure does look good and is something I've been wanting to do. What size pig and about how long did it take? I can get a pig, but I'm just trying to get an idea of what to allow for.

That sure does look good and is something I've been wanting to do. What size pig and about how long did it take? I can get a pig, but I'm just trying to get an idea of what to allow for.
This was a 32 lb. porker. I ran the smoker between 250° & 275°. It cooked faster than I expected-I planned for 6 hours and it was done in 4 1/2 hours. I banked the fire and added small splits to keep the smoker temp at 160°.
Fed a group of 20 and still ended up with about 1/3 of the pig left. Those that wanted it had pork to take home.

That’s a super nice racer. Looking forward to the final cut/pull.
Well, about that, I was so busy pulling and serving I forgot to grab a picture. Hopefully one of my kids may have grab a picture or two. If they did, I'll add it to this post.

Reactions: yankee2bbq
Awesome cook there Dutch!
That’s something I have been wanting to do, and it’s in my ToDo list.
I think I can fit a 20-25 lb. pig in my Lang 36. I may have to do some trimming to get it to fit, but really want to try it. I’m thinking this winter would be the time for me. What was the overall length & width of the pig you did? Cause it looks like it would fit in my baby Lang!
Al

Wow! That looks amazing Dutch! Talk about going "whole hog"!
Was there an injection or seasoning of any kind or just smoke and pig?

Awesome cook there Dutch!
That’s something I have been wanting to do, and it’s in my ToDo list.
I think I can fit a 20-25 lb. pig in my Lang 36. I may have to do some trimming to get it to fit, but really want to try it. I’m thinking this winter would be the time for me. What was the overall length & width of the pig you did? Cause it looks like it would fit in my baby Lang!
Al
Al, this pig was about 30 inched long and about 7 inches wide. I cut through the back bone, the aitch bone and the brisket bone. I then pressed the pig flat so I could have easy access while I injected the pig. I sprinkled Tulsa Jeff's Naked Rib Rub in the body cavity.

Wow! That looks amazing Dutch! Talk about going "whole hog"!
Was there an injection or seasoning of any kind or just smoke and pig?
My injection was 4 cups apple juice, 2 cups apple cider vinegar and 2 Tablespoons of Tulsa Jeff's Naked Rib Rub. I could have easily cut this recipe in half and still have plenty injection for this 32 lb pig.
I put 1 cup of apple juice in a saucepan along with the Rib Rub. I brought the juice to a low boil to dissolve the rub. I then strained the liquid through a mesh strainer to remove the solids that didn't dissolve. I then added this liquid to the remaining apple juice and vinegar and let it cool to room temperature.

Al, this pig was about 30 inched long and about 7 inches wide. I cut through the back bone, the aitch bone and the brisket bone. I then pressed the pig flat so I could have easy access while I injected the pig. I sprinkled Tulsa Jeff's Naked Rib Rub in the body cavity.
Thanks Dutch, I think that would fit in my 36.
Al

32 pounds gives about 12 pounds of pulled pork. 20 guests and 1/3 left? Sounds like plenty of other good food at that Party. I know I can make a meal out of those Wicked Beans alone! Very nice...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky