This is my first time.......WSM's Gone Wild - Pulled Pork, ABT's, and Dutch's Beans - Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

big twig

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Emerald Isle, NC
First smoke on the WSM yesterday (Sunday 4-17-11) went pretty well. There is sure some smoke leakage from the fire door and the lid but it really didn't mess up the temperatures and people have said it will seal itself in due time. Well on with the show and sorry about the picture quality, our good camera was broken by the wife's friend so these were taken with my cell phone.

Got a Butt weighing in at 5.14 lbs (only 3-4 people showing up for the practice smoke so it was big enough)

1f87d146_Butt.jpg

Rub consisting of:

Pinch of salt

Black & white pepper

Cayenne

Ancho chili powder

Hot, Sweet & Smoked paprika

Brown Sugar

Garlic powder

Onion Powder

Dash of Old Bay

1958b5dc_rub.jpg

Scored the fat cap deep to let smoke in but I love the fat so no trim involved

7335d593_Deepcuttsforsmoke.jpg

mustard and rub on with an injection of apple juice and butter

18aabffc_Readyforwrap.jpg

Wrapped & Ready for nap

887cdd58_Wrappedreadytogo.jpg

Next up Abt's and yes I love them but I also love Heat so I decided to add some Habaneros to the mix

8061478f_pre4-18-11058.jpg

New WSM Ready to go with Kingsford blue,  Hickory & Apple wood chunks

c659d6e1_pre4-18-11052.jpg

After and hour probed the meat

8070d6be_pre4-18-11059.jpg

Time for BBQ sauce made with:

Ketchup

Mustard

Cider Vinegar

Brown sugar

Red pepper flakes

Onion powder

Chili Powder

S & P

Garlic powder

Celery salt

Liquid smoke

Worcester

Honey

e3827982_BBQSauce.jpg

A little TBS

c373c272_pre4-18-11057.jpg

Sorry I didn't get the process of the ABT's and beans. Had a battle with wind and the smoker started running hot (I learned a lot about the WSM in this practice smoke, that's why I had one).

ABT's out. The Japs always lose heat that's why I tried the Habs and I will tell you they don't lose anything. Sooo good!

ed11f338_pre4-18-11061.jpg

Pork

3ccdc61e_pre4-18-11062.jpg

98661401_pre4-18-11063.jpg

Broke up to cool before pulling

fa6cdeb3_pre4-18-11065.jpg

776453d2_pre4-18-11064.jpg

83611cbb_pre4-18-11066.jpg

Pulled finished with a soflaquer style of sauce and ready for dinner along with beans (sorry no sammy view had to rush and clean and get the wife home so she could her beauty sleep, not like she needs but but happy wife happy life)

484712e1_pre4-18-11067.jpg

feb79308_DutchsWickedBeans.jpg

Thanks for watching! Next time I hope I have a camera that takes better pictures. I have a big party (for my b-day) coming up so look out for more.

-Twig

Great job on your first smoke with your new WSM Twig. Everything looks very tasty. I bet those habaneros woke people up when they bit into those ABT's.
icon14.gif
Yeah, only 1 of my brothers had the guts to try the habanero with me, I guess he liked the fire because he ate a second one. I really liked it and will do it again, but I am a chili head.

Thanks Roller & les3176. Everything was really good. I am glad to be able to smoke again and the WSM was a good choice.

Hey Twig!

That ALL looks AWESOME!

Gotta love those little fat cubes on top!

If you wouldn't have told us these pics were from your cell phone, I would have never known!!!!!

Thanks,

Bear

Thanks fife!

Bear, I love the fat cubes. You can break them off and it really tastes like bark butter because the fat is rendered so much. I break them up and mix it in with the pulled pork, of course after I get myself to stop snacking on them!

Thanks fife!

Bear, I love the fat cubes. You can break them off and it really tastes like bark butter because the fat is rendered so much. I break them up and mix it in with the pulled pork, of course after I get myself to stop snacking on them!
LOL---A man after my own heart. Sounds like exactly what I would do with those tasty little morsels!

Bear

It really looks great Twig. I'm with you on the fat cubes, they really are delicious. I guess anything in moderation is OK. Well it looks like the maiden voyage was a great success, and the more experience you get with the WSM the better it will get.

Thanks Beer-B-Q, SmokinAl & graniteman, I hope I can get another smoke in this weekend before my big party but it looks like more rain. I just hope it's gone by the 30th cause to many people are coming so I can't have a rain delay. Rain drives me crazy.

Nice job Twig! Glad to see the WSM is working well for you. If you put some hinges on two medium chunks of plywood you can make a foldable wind screen that helps on windy days.

Thanks guys! I can't wait to fire that bad boy back up! I have to try to figure out how much I can fit on there now. Pork butts, ABT's, maybe some ribs, I have no idea. I know I have 40-50 people to feed with the help of the grill and chili cooker.
hit.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky