thirdeye's Saturday Breakfast ~Machaca Con Huevo , Migas Style

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
5TPEl8z.jpg
Okay, machaca is typically shredded beef, but since I pressure can smoked pork butt, I use that for my meat, plus 1 strip of bacon. If you have some leftover pulled pork... that works good too. Here are the ingredients I used for today's breakfast:
eYwXNfj.jpg
Start by frying some diced bacon about half-done, add some of the pork fat from the top of the jar (this is similar to lard, but it's smoky), add chopped onion and jalapeno and a little olive oil as needed. Wait for the onions to become translucent before adding about a cup of the smoked pork. Of course it's fully cooked and super tender, so the machaca is almost done. Add salt, pepper and your favorite Mexican chile powder.... I use Guajillo chile powder, it's not a blend but the dried version of the mirasol pepper. Stir in the seasonings (I add some smoked broth from the jar) and the machaca is done. Don't go too heavy on the chile powder or you will hide the smoky pork flavor. This might take 20 minutes.

While the machaca is cooking I have some strips of corn tortilla ready to soften in a skillet... to be served migas style atop the eggs. And I whip some eggs, and shred some pepper jack cheese to add to them. When I'm happy with the machaca, the tortilla strips are in one skillet and I soft scramble the eggs in another. The assembly speaks for itself. Salsa is optional, and we had a glass of orange/mango juice. PS, this same meat mixture is killer in street tacos or burritos.
eIAiOXi.jpg

That looks delicious as heck. And I have a butt smoking right now. Been smelling it all day and you just kicked my hunger into overdrive lol

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Just about have supper done over the open fire but till then...can I have a plateful please?

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky