Things to do with a smoked picnic

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

randyrayd

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 8, 2017
Sneads Ferry, NC
I recently smoked a picnic and used it all!  Bones and last trimmings went into a pot of lima beans.  I cut up some and put it in a gravy over rice.  The best dish was using it in a soup similar to Pho, which is a Vietnamese soup, pronounce fu.....as in some peoples favorite four-letter word, Or maybe I should say fa as in fanatic?  You can play with the amounts of liquid, veggie and noodles.  

If I don't respond to replies timely, I'm not being rude.  I'll be on the road for 12 hours or so Friday and Sunday and will be resting and going to Mass Saturday.

Ingredients

3 cups low-sodium chicken broth

2-3 cups water
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
4 cloves garlic, smashed

1/2 tbs Chinese 5-spice
1 1/2 lbs. smoked pork shoulder, shredded (or cubed if you smoke your picnic to only 165* as I did.  I was hungry)
1 head bok choy, roughly chopped or 4-5 baby bok choy sliced
dried rice noodles, thick or thin, your preferenced, cooked as directed
chopped fresh cilantro

sliced jalapenos

srirache sauce

hoisin sauce

thinly sliced white onion (maybe 1/2 onion)

Directions

Combine the chicken broth, water, soy sauce, rice wine, brown sugar, garlic 5-spice and pork in a large pot and bring to boil
Add the bok choy and cook a few minutes longer, or if you like your veggies more crisp, turn off the heat immediately and let set for a few minutes.

Cook the noodles immediately before serving.  If you want leftovers, cook additional noodles, otherwise they will get soggy.

Put a serving of the cooked noodles in a large bowl and ladle the soup over the noodles.
While steaming hot add cilantro and onion and tbs or so of hoisin.  Depending on how spicy you like your food add jalapenos and srirache sauce.....or only one of either or none if you're a wuss.

Slurp and enjoy.

[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]
[endif]

Last edited:
Looks tasty! Pho is great.

Pork noodle soup in Vietnam actually is called Hủ Tiếu Mì. It is similar to Pho and prepared in a similar fashion.

Usually the only pork in traditional pho is in meatball form.

Correct, sir.  That's why I said similar to Pho.  I applaud you as not many people are familiar with Hu Tieu Mi.  It isn't really Hu Tieu Mi either as there are too many veggies and no seafood (shrimp, fish balls, squid, crab) and the spices are much different.  There are hardly any spices in Hu Tieu Mi.  Although I use Chinese 5-spice in this dish and when I do cook Pho, but in Hu Tieu Mi there is no ginger, cinnamon, anise, coriander or fennel seed.

I frequently go off recipe which is sometimes good and sometimes nearly inedible.

rd

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky