things to do wih sweet jalapeno peppers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cody27

Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Aldergrove BC Canada
ok so i was given a sweet jalapeno plant a while back and it is currently producing some decent sized peppers [up to 2" long] and they are alright eating by them selves as they are not to hot more of just a bit of a kick but i was wondering what you guys have done with sweet jalapeno peppers as far as cooking or sauces and such go, so lets here some ideas

I love peppers.

Cut them up and put them in a fatty

Cut them up and put them in a hamburger

Cut them in half and load them with cheese and wrap in bacon

Smoke them and dry them out and pulverize for a rub

Enjoy

Reactions: hannibal
I love peppers.

Cut them up and put them in a fatty

Cut them up and put them in a hamburger

Cut them in half and load them with cheese and wrap in bacon

Smoke them and dry them out and pulverize for a rub

Enjoy
Great idea!
points.gif

looks like a jalapeno, bit fatter and dark green and is kind of sweet with a bit of a mild kick

i had never heard of em either, they are kind of nice cause i like hot spicy stuff but in recent years ive had to cut back on the spicy stuff because of some health issues

wonder what the heat would do to them as far as growing..........got a pic?

no pics but i can snap one tomorrow and i dont think they will grow after being picked the dehydrator will just dry them out but its been the hottest summers in decades in my area and i think thats why they have grown so good this year at least more so than jalapeno plants that ive had in the past, this summer has been brutally hot as far as this corner of the world goes

Grind them up, place in a zip lock bag, flatten out to about ½” then freeze,  during the winter when you need some just break off what you want and put the rest back in the freezer     
icon_mrgreen.gif

icon_cool.gif

There are many different things you can do with those peppers. I would first make some Abt's there really good and this way you can really let the filling shine. I would also recommand maybe using them to spice things like a fattie, meatloaf, or heck a good salad with some japs. Now that would be a good use for them in fact I think I know what I'm doing for lunch now. I have a jap plant on the railing myself.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

no pics but i can snap one tomorrow and i dont think they will grow after being picked the dehydrator will just dry them out but its been the hottest summers in decades in my area and i think thats why they have grown so good this year at least more so than jalapeno plants that ive had in the past, this summer has been brutally hot as far as this corner of the world goes
cody.........a lot of timesthe hotter the climate the plant will stress nd become hotter. i mentioned that cuz of where i live.........i just wonder if it will grow here.

Here is something we had at an Indian restaurant buffet that was good and different. 

It was jalapenos that had been stuffed with a potato curry -- similar to what is put into dosas sometimes.  I could supply a recipe for the potato stuffing that we like, or you could probably find one that appealed to you in any Indian cookbook or web page.

A friend of ours really loved them in comparison to the usual cheese stuffed jalapenos.  He likes really hot foods and is lactose intolerant.

Another thing I had in a Mexican restaurant in New Mexico was jalapenos that had been simmered in some sort of soy/sugar mixture.  I've tried to duplicate that without success.  It was unusual, quite good, but they were very hot jalapenos and I had to be careful to just eat the flesh and not the seeds.

I like to smoke a variety of peppers, an onion or two, and some garlic. Chop the stem off the peppers, then give everything a whirl in the cuisinart. Makes a great coarse chili paste that I then can use on all kinds of stuff!

looks like a jalapeno, bit fatter and dark green and is kind of sweet with a bit of a mild kick

i had never heard of em either, they are kind of nice cause i like hot spicy stuff but in recent years ive had to cut back on the spicy stuff because of some health issues
Could it possibly be a poblano pepper.? I've never heard of sweet jalapenos.

Here is something we had at an Indian restaurant buffet that was good and different. 

It was jalapenos that had been stuffed with a potato curry -- similar to what is put into dosas sometimes.  I could supply a recipe for the potato stuffing that we like, or you could probably find one that appealed to you in any Indian cookbook or web page.
that sounds good........i would be interested in your recipe if a don't mind.

not sure the little name tag that is stuck in the dirt say sweet jalapenos so thats all im going by

can you tak a pic of the tag or does it have a scientific name on it? you kinda got me curious now............

that sounds good........i would be interested in your recipe if a don't mind.
Here is a recipe for a potato curry that we have used.  You can easily make variations to suit yourself (e.g. heat level).

MMMMM

Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: DRY POTATO CURRY
 Categories: Menu, Vegetarian, Indian, Boat, D/g
      Yield: 4 servings

1 lb Potato; Red skins
           Salt to taste
      2 tb Vegetable oil
      1 ts Mustard seeds
      1    Onion; finely sliced
      2    Garlic cloves
      1    (1 inch) piece gingerroot;
           - fresh grated
      1    Green chile; seeded, chopped
      1 ts Ground turmeric
    1/2 ts Red (cayenne) pepper
      1 ts Ground cumin
    1/4 c  Green pepper; strips
           - to garnish if desired

Cut Potatoes into 3/4 inch chunks.

Cook potatoes in boiling salted water 6 to 8 minutes, until just
  tender. Drain and set aside.  Heat oil in a large saucepan, add
  mustard seeds and onions.  Cook 5 minutes until onions are soft, but
  not brown.  Stir in garlic and gingerroot; cook 1 minute more.

Add cooked potatoes, chile, turmeric, cayenne and cumin.  Stir well.
  Cover and cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes
  are very tender and coated with spices.  Serve hot, garnished with
  bell pepper strips.

MMMMM

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky