ThermoPro TP20 any good?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looking for a new dual probe wireless meat thermometer. I was looking at the ThermoPro TP20 on Amazon and it appears to have great reviews. Does anyone on here have one and can you provide any feedback?
The Therma Pro TP20 works great. I love it. Really accurate. I've used it on roast beaf, turkey, chicken. I give it 5 stars.

After reading everyone's go around with the tp-20 I figured. New smoker, why not upgrade from my pair of dual temps (still kicking) to remote therm. Really impressed, 10+ cooks so far still running good on probe temp - proofed twice- and no problems with rf. Really came in handy when I was balancing diffuser plate and along with my river country as static ive been able to nail rack temps. I can also now periodically check my dual temp probes since I can't submerge them. For me it suits my needs, it seems pretty rugged ,not a bad price and like the warranty. Just my review----

I just ordered the TP20 off of Amazon. I'm truly looking forward to working with it. I only wish that I'd have known about the 20% discount for members of the forum. Lol I literally just placed my order.

Chad

Was having trouble with my TP 20 (installed new batteries in receiver and transmitter, tried to synchronize 3-4 times) nothing worked. E-mailed the company. Then I read what Gr0uch0 suggested (unplugging probes, yanking batteries and waiting). Worked like a charm. Thank you very much

I was trying to smoke 2 wild turkey breast yesterday for Thanksgiving dinner. When I plugged the meat probe in for the Auber the display screen started flashing "END END". I unplugged the probe and cycle the power the "END END" message cleared. I purchased my 3D in July of last year and have made 6 or 7 smokes on it. This would have only been the 3d or 4th time I used the meat probe since it was new. When not in user it stayed enclosed in a heavy duty ziplock baggie inside the smoker. With shipping, a replacement would be about $50 (really). I found one on Amazon with the same style plug for $10 shipped. Not sure if its compatible with the Auber or not.
I am so pissed after spending over $1200 on my smoker setup from SmokingIT and the probe fails after 3 uses. Am I going to spend another $50 on a piece of Junk probe for the Auber on my 3D 'Hell NO" !! So I have been researching the portable wireless monitors. Seems to me the TP-20 would be a good choice and for the money and the reviews are extremely good. So not only am I going to purchase one for me and a hard case to protect it I am going to purchase 2 more as Christmas gifts for my parents and Sister & Brother-in-Law.
And I would like to especially thank Dillion for making the 20% coupon good for a lifetime for the Smokit forums members. If the TP20 is as good as everyone says what else could you ever ask of a company:)

I like the idea of the TP20, but I'm on my second one, and it has been a mixed experience. When it works, I love it. When it doesn't, I want to throw it into the street hoping it gets run over by a dump truck. My original was reading vastly different temps in same size cuts of meat. ThermoPro replaced the unit. On Thanksgiving, with one probe in the breast and the other in the leg, it worked beautifully and accurately. Two days later, with one probe in each similarly sized rib eyes, 5 minutes in, one probe read over 500 degrees (and eventually went to HHH) while the other read 58 degrees. Same sized steaks, on same part of grill (indirect), with probes in same spot in the steaks. As it's the same issue with a new unit, my automatic assumption was that I was doing something wrong. But I am sure the probes are on the base unit securely as I push it in all the way and give them a twist to make sure there is good contact. The probes go into the two cuts of same sized meat (cut to order by butcher) in the same spots, the wires go out the back part of the kettle (so they are not over flame), and one probe goes into HHH in a few minutes. I'll swap the probes, and the same thing happens, but not always the same probe or same probe location. It's really frustrating as I moved from the iGrill because the range wasn't long enough.

Hello HuskyKMA,

I am Dillon from ThermoPro, and I can answer any questions you have about our TP20! For starters, it is our newest model with a simplified user interface, a backlight and preset meat cooking temperatures for easy cooks. The TP20 also comes with dual probes as you stated. These can read both meat or the ambient temperature of a grill, oven or smoker as it comes with a clip for easy attachment!

We are going to be offering any forum member a 20% discount code for our Amazon stores in the US and Canada.

US Store: http://amzn.to/2B30ZqN
US Coupon Code: IF5RBOKA
Canada Store: http://amzn.to/2zUSMXN
Canada Coupon Code: OSPI6YA6

If you have anymore questions, I would be happy to answer them!

Dillon

ThermoPro
Thanks Dillon, between your company's generous credit and my Amazon points, the Tempro 20 is on it's way !

Arrived yesterday, Sat. in the mail, First impression is quite favorable, easy-to-use. Best thing, I can use it from the comfort of my recliner...the mes probe and Taylor instruments wouldn't.

I just ordered one. I was going to use my Maverick HD32 along with my Fluke meter to do ambient temp. This will be easier.

I have gone through 2 of the TP20’s in the last 4 months. Would highly recommend another brand. In fact i am sending mine back tomorrow. The first unit i had worked fine until i got the dreaded HHH reading continuously. I called itronics and they shipped me a new probe. It literally made it through half of my next cook. So i called again the following business day and they sent me another probe. I got it in the mail and same thing. Would not read correctly. At this point i was unsure of if the problem was the probes or the actual unit. I had a competition coming up the following weekend. I was torn on going back with the Thermapro or going back with Maverick. My previous thermometer was a Maverick that i used for 3-4 years. I decided to try the thermapro again because i really like the display ahowing both probes. The unit got to me in time for the comp but only lasted a few hrs. The display on the unit was messing up and i was continuously getting the HHH reading. When i wasnt getting this message i was getting a reading that was wayyyy off. Like more than double what i knew the temp was. Im not sure which brand i will try next. I have had good luck with Maverick but i am going to read over the forum for other brands too.

Last edited:
Same here bnew17.....I love how it's supposed to work. But in actual practice, it's a poor product. I too kept getting HHH reading. After posting a disappointing review on Amazon where I bought it, Itrronics sent me a a new one and advised that I make sure the probes were securely inserted into the base unit. Now I jam then in, give them a twist to make sure there is contact, and I get the same problem. Last night, in 38 degree weather, the probe read 400 degrees and it was outside the grill not inserted into anything. I kept swapping the probe from Probe 1 to Probe 2 sides, and managed to finally get it read something that looked accurate. 10 minutes in, the remote display went from 81 degrees straight to HHH. I don't know if it's the probes or the base unit, but something is clearly wrong, and they don't seem able to address it.

fixin to post my most recent email with thermopro on my tp20. it has been a complete disaster. i had a probe go bad after just one month of service, three cooks. it is not good..

The TP03a I bought a couple weeks ago fails the boil test by a margin significantly greater than the .9F they claim. It also takes well in excess of 25 seconds to give a stable reading. A $13 lesson to make me $13 smarter. Not worth the headache to return. It's on sale right now for $11.04 on Amazon for those interested. My experience seems to be an exception, not the rule.

Edit: I was contacted by the director of Customer Service. They replaced the TP-03A under warranty. The new one works beautifully.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky