Thermopro and MES Probes reading low

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vsgill

Original poster
Nov 17, 2018
For Second time now I have been smoking pork tenderloins and both the probe on my tp20 and the MES probe are both saying 147 and 152 respectively. But when you pull the meat and check it with a meat thermometer it is actually around 130 something. I could see one or the other of the probes being off both both are reading almost the same thing. Outside temperature is around 32°. Any ideas what is going on?

#1 , I would disregard what MES probe is reading "unless" you have tested it. They are notorious for being incorrect. And as kruizer stated, test to 20. Probes can go bad.

I always check my probes in ice water first then calibrate off of that reading prior to checking in boiling water.

I compare my TP-8(both probes) and both digital thermometers on the counter before a smoke. My MES can be out as much 30F depending if it’s heating or coasting.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky