Thermapen? Not an option... recommendation on cheaper instant read thermometers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
yeahthat.gif

I am ordering mine right now!

Good luck and good smoking.

I've had good luck with the lower priced ThermoWorks products.

For an instant read I have this:  http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt600c.html

Did the ice bath and boiling water tests, dead on.
If I had seen this post and seen this therm at this price before I had bought another brand for $60, I would have  bought this one instead. However, I'm wondering if the price was lowered to get rid of them since a redesigned version if about to be released?

Thermapen is expensive because they assemble the components using excpensive labor outside of China. But they don't make the components themselves.

Digital temperature electronics are not that complicated. and most of them are very accurate and inexpensive.

I have one I bought for $3.00, battery included. 8 years later, still working well.

In general, what determines the speed of a thermometer is the size of the pin. The smaller it is , the faster it can measure.

dcarch

My Taylor works fine and is easy on batteries.

It reads in 10 to 12 seconds.  About $15 as I recall.

Just had to have those extra few seconds faster! 
biggrin.gif

If I had seen this post and seen this therm at this price before I had bought another brand for $60, I would have  bought this one instead. However, I'm wondering if the price was lowered to get rid of them since a redesigned version if about to be released?
I order mine last December, it was the same price ($16). They have sales all the time....

You gotta be kidding me? That's awesome. Don't get why such a big price difference though. Well. Anyway going to get one coming this pay day.

I don't either, the only benefit is that the display turns...I've never needed that.
It's nothing I'm interested in mainly because It's not as accurate as the Super-Fast Pocket Thermometer which I highly recommend....heck you can buy 2 of them (on special for $16 each) for about the same as the ThermoPop.
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt600c.html

~Martin

Last edited:
Initial review re: 

Received quickly from vendor.  Tested but not used yet. 

Fast and accurate.  Longer than I am used to, but that can be an advantage when reaching into a pit or oven while trying not to burn yourself.

Min/Max temp auto-temp hold feature is neat.

The reset feature is probably redundant as it works much like the on/off switch. Further tinkering will tell the tale on that one.

One hour auto shutoff is more time than I need since I only use them for an instant read.  When leaving a therm in resting meat, I use a different therm.

A switched back-lit display would be nice, but would add to cost and reduce battery life.

Two screws have to be removed to replace the battery, but if it achieves the claimed 5000 hour battery life, I will probably never replace one. Even so, it is probably the most common mini battery on the market.

The only real negative I see is that the display is small and may be hard to read for anyone with marginal eyesight.  Still, I can read it without resorting to my reading glasses.

For a purchase price of $16 plus $5 shipping to my door, I am very happy with this unit.

Initial review re: 

Received quickly from vendor.  Tested but not used yet. 

Fast and accurate.  Longer than I am used to, but that can be an advantage when reaching into a pit or oven while trying not to burn yourself.

Min/Max temp auto-temp hold feature is neat.

The reset feature is probably redundant as it works much like the on/off switch. Further tinkering will tell the tale on that one.

One hour auto shutoff is more time than I need since I only use them for an instant read.  When leaving a therm in resting meat, I use a different therm.

A switched back-lit display would be nice, but would add to cost and reduce battery life.

Two screws have to be removed to replace the battery, but if it achieves the claimed 5000 hour battery life, I will probably never replace one. Even so, it is probably the most common mini battery on the market.

The only real negative I see is that the display is small and may be hard to read for anyone with marginal eyesight.  Still, I can read it without resorting to my reading glasses.

For a purchase price of $16 plus $5 shipping to my door, I am very happy with this unit.

Thanks for the review, I may just need one more therm.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky