Thermapen? Not an option... recommendation on cheaper instant read thermometers

Discussion in 'Meat Thermometers' started by barkerb, Aug 20, 2014.

1. I am not really interested in shelling out the cash for a Thermapen. I get that it might be a great tool but I just cant justtify the cost right now.  Does anyone have any recommendations for a quality instant read thermometer under $30? I know there are a bunch at every Target, WalMart, etc ranging from $10-$40 but I dont want to waste $ on something unreliable.

2. dandl93

dandl93 Smoking Fanatic

I bought the Maverick Pro Temp PT100.It works great also alot cheaper then the Thermapen.I know it is not under $40 but well worth every penny I did pay.I use and depend on my Pro Temp more then any of my other temps..ET733 and Tel Trus I only use for my smoker temps.The Pro Temp I use for the Smoker,Grill and Kitchen when cooking raw milk for Cheese.

Dan 

3. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

This works great,  3-4  second read out.

barkerb likes this.
  4. jaybls

jaybls Newbie

barkerb and remmy700p like this.
  5. If you are looking to save money, consider a slower reading thermometer (7-9 seconds).  Just about everything made by Polder tends to be accurate.  Many stores carry that brand and they are inexpensive.  And as always, boil test every thermometer you buy; even the expensive ones can be mis-manufactured.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  6. cmayna

cmayna Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Look at Cooper Atkin's  DPP400W.   $17 on Amazon.

7. mdboatbum

mdboatbum Master of the Pit OTBS Member

8. cliffcarter

cliffcarter Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

I bought an Accurite at WalMart for $10 and it works just fine, comes to temp in about 5-6 seconds. Perfect for me 'cause I'm cheap.

barkerb likes this.
  9. noboundaries

noboundaries Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Amen Brother.  I picked up a no-name digital food probe at the grocery store or Amazon years ago for like $8 or $10.  The trick for mine is to stick it in the meat before you turn it on.  Reads final temp in under 10 seconds.     

10. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yep I have the smaller Mini - Thermo pen, pocket size not 3 sec reading but 5 sec reading works great for me and was like 24.00 Check out their web site. You DONT have to go spendy to get a good one.

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

DS

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  11. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I realize that times can be tough, therefore I suggest going to a Restaurant supply or a store that sells the little therms. like you see coos use. You may find one at your local grocery (hanging off the shelves). They are cheap,about $4 and usually have a nut on bottom for calibrating. they are not 'instant' read , but 2-3 sec. to get your temp.

Have fun and . . .

12. smokeburns

smokeburns Smoke Blower

I agree, I have been eyeballing the thermo pop for some time now. Cause I can't at this time put out $98 for its counterpart. However this should be my last purchase I get to accompany my maverick. "Yeah right".

13. Thermo Pop all the way.

14. fwismoker

fwismoker Master of the Pit

People like the thermopop because the like saying "pop" and it looks like a tootsie pop. lol    Thermoworks has cheaper faster therms but if you want a "cute" name go thermopop. :)

15. daricksta

daricksta Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I bought this for $60 from a BBQ school I attended on day and it's the best truly instant read therm I've ever owned. We use it more in the kitchen than for grilling and smoking.

http://www.cdnw.com/product/proaccurate®-folding-thermocouple-thermometer-red

16. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

17. casmurf

casmurf Smoke Blower SMF Premier Member

I bought one of these Extech39272 thermometer for $39.99 w/free shipping).

about 3 years ago and been using it ever since no problems.

Jerry S.

18. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

19. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

For an extra ten bucks?  I like that one!   [​IMG]

Good luck and good smoking.