There's Gotta Be...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
There's gotta be at least one guy at deer camp who can cook.
Well there are two of us, but I volunteered to fix dinner for this weekend while we meet to get some final work done.

Plots are planted and sprouting up nicely, so the big part is done.
Now it's all the misc stuff like filling the corn silo, raking the trails to the stands/houses, killing wasp's nests in shooting houses, splitting firewood and lots more.
And all that work will work up an appetite!

So I precooked a batch of Stuffed Moinks and some Bacon Wrapped Onion Rings and have a big bag of Tater Tots to throw in the oven.
The Moinks just need to be reheated and glazed with BBQ sauce.
I did NOT glaze them because it make the bacon soft once they go in the fridge.
Yes the fridge softens it too but not as bad, nothing a warm up in a 400° oven won't fix.

For those who didn't catch my first batch of my Jeff inspired Onion Rings, here's another couple of pics of the process and end products.

Bacon Wrapped Onion Rings
Slice large onions into 1/2"+ slices, pop out interior leaving outer 2-3 rings.
Coat rings with BBQ sauce and Rub, I combined the two and painted it on all at once, more efficient.
Wrap in thin sliced bacon, it'll take at least two slices on average.
If you like, add more sauce/rub to outside.
Smoke, grill or bake at 250°-275° till bacon is rendered and has a nice bite through consistency, 1.5-2 hours.

25b4x6Y.jpg

Stuffed Moinks
Start with a baseball sized ball of seasoned ground chuck and flatten it out.
Place a nice mound of your favorite soft cheese on it, and close it up into a big meatball
Wrap with 2-3 slices of bacon, these had 3 slices.
Smoke at 250°-275° till bacon is rendered and has a nice bite through consistency, 2-2.5 hours.
Glaze with BBQ sauce during the last 30-45 minutes.

9ySWQOL.jpg

mfs1MR9.jpg

I figure a hot Moink with a Ring on top, surrounded by Tater Tots and a salad should have some bellies satisfied.

qfbIDk5.jpg

Last edited:
Rough deer camp Bro!
I know, right? Don't know how I stand it sometimes.
A friend with a plush Cabin with all amenities sitting on over 1500 acres, an ol'4x4 Jeep to drive around, 12 plots with both stands/houses to choose from, deer, hogs and turkeys, a two acre pond full of bass/bream.

And all I have to do is lend a hand when needed, take my turns cooking and in turn I get invited to hunt.

Remind me to ask him again about formally adopting me as a son.

Last edited:
Chile I like the onion rings Wish I still had a place to hunt.
Good Luck Richie

Chile, that looks great and boy are you guys are spoiled. I don't hunt but I do go to deer camp a few times each season. I will definitely have to give this a go. Point for sure.

Chris

I know, right? Don't know how I stand it sometimes.
A friend with a plush Cabin with all amenities sitting on over 1500 acres, an ol'4x4 Jeep to drive around, 12 plots with both stands/houses to choose from, deer, hogs and turkeys, a two acre pond full of bass/bream.
And all I have to do is lend a hand when needed and take my turns cooking and get invited to hunt.

Remind me to ask him again about formally adopting me as a son.

Ask him if he wants two "sons" and I'll be happy to do some cooking too. Heck, I'd even gut and butcher the deer for him if he wants.

I am way to lazy to hunt but there is another position that is necessary at deer camp, quality control. I volunteer. It is the least I can do. Maybe a point will help get me the job!

Alert!
Moinks do not reheat well, too much moisture/fats lost, a little dry/tough.
Not that they were horrible.
Much better when hot-n-fresh, but they were still a hit.

But the Rings, they reheat wonderfully, and they got rave reviews.

My thanks to everyone for the replies and Likes, much appreciated.
Any suggestions for reheating Moinks?

Man am I bushed,
Lifting and emptying sixty 50lb bags of corn into the silo is a workout, raking trails, and cleaning out shooting houses too, no gym membership needed here.
Waiting for a couple of wonderful modern pharmaceuticals to take effect.

Gnite folks

I'd be the dish washer, wood chopper all around gofer for some food like that.
So now with two cooks in your camp. You can have food wars on who makes better stuff. Your buddies will love that after coming back from hunting tired and hungry. Lucky them.

Great way to reheat leftover Stuffed Moinks.

Slice stuffed moinks 1/2"-3/8" thick
In a saute pan melt 2T butter, add one can of Rotel and 1T minced garlic
Saute over med high heat for a few minutes and then add slices
Lower heat and saute till nice and hot
Serve with Rotel sauce spooned over slices
Yummy!

Chile, I don't think you are at deer camp, you must be at deer resort. Awesome Pics:)
Those are Cabin Deer, they're almost like pets.
No pressure on them anywhere around the cabin and they know it.
Some of them will come within 10' of my buddy George if he sits quietly on the porch steps or a chair.
If I tried it they'd be gone like smoke in the wind.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky