There's a new Wing in Town...the Wild Wing: Method, Recipes & Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forluvofsmoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 27, 2008
I felt inclined to share tonight's experiment with everyone, as it worked out so well, you just may want to find out for yourselves how good it really is. It just wouldn't be fair not to play nice and share such a great success with all my friends here at SMF...
icon_cool.gif

WILD WING BRINE, DRY RUB & RED PEPPER SAUCE BUTTER GLAZE

Note: this recipe utilizes a high temp cooking process, so electric and SFB Horizontals will not be well-suited to this process without modifying the cooking times/temps. Also note that alternating dry/wet/dry smoke chamber humidities are used for optimum results.

The following is for 32-36 wings (8lbs) with tips removed (7.5lbs trimmed):

WILD WING BRINE:

1 Tbls Cracked Black Pepper Corn

1 Tbls freshly powdered dried Jalepeno

1/2 Tbls minced dried Garlic

1 tsp Cumin

3/4 Cup Morton's Tender Quick cure

2 Qt water in saucepan to mix with dry and simmer

1.5-2.0 Lbs (approx 4 cups) cubed ice to chill concentrated brine solution after simmering

1 Qt cold water to add for additional chilling and dilution of concentrated solution

Bring solution to boil and reduce heat to simmer for 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat and pour over
ice in 4-5 qt bowl. Stir until ice is melted, add additional water and pour over chicken pieces in
non-reactive container. Gently stir brining chicken pieces every 5-10 minutes, keep chilled well
with additional ice as needed.

Leave in Brine for 60-90 minutes before applying dry rub. Apply rub to wet meat for best adhesion without
the use of an additive by placing skin-side down on a tray/platter, apply rub and then turn over onto smoker grate and apply rub to the skin side.

Note: this not a curing solution, as the concentration of TQ is far below the recommended amounts
for brine/curing of meats.

WILD WING DRY RUB:

1/2 Tbls freshly powdered Black Pepper Corn

1/2 Tbls minced dried Garlic, freshly powdered

1 tsp freshly powdered Onion

2 Tbls Kosher Salt

1 tsp Sweet Basil leaves, ground

1 tsp Oregano, ground

1 Tbls Ancho Chili, freshly powdered (sub w/reg chili powder if desired)

2 tsp Cayenne Pepper powder

2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes (crushed red pepper)

1/8 tsp ground Cinnamon

RED PEPPER SAUCE BUTTER GLAZE:

4oz (1 stick) unsalted Butter

4 Tbls Louisiana Hot Sauce, Tabasco Red Pepper Sauce, Franks Original Red Pepper Sauce, or your favorite

While wings are cold smoking (1st stage), in a large metal bowl, melt butter in oven (or smoker),
then stir in hot sauce. Keep sauce bowl warm while adding wings and tossing to apply glaze coating.

Cold smoke with dry water pan for 20-30 minutes @ 120*, then hot smoke with water in pan
@ 235-250* for 20-25 minutes. This step will begin cooking the meat and the high humidity
will aid in breaking down the rub for crust formation during the dry hot smoking stage.

Remove water from pan and replace dry pan into smoker (in vertical smokers, the water pan is
neccessary for heat baffling). Continue cooking (no smoke) dry for another 20-25 minutes @ 235-250*.

If cold smoking is not easily attainable with your smoker, hot smoke with water in pan
@ 235-250* for 40-50 minutes.

Remove wings from smoker grate and toss into bowl of melted butter and hot sauce mixture.

Note: for some extra kick, season the butter/hot sauce with additional dry rub blend.

Return to smoker grate and dry cook (no water in pan or smoke wood) @ 340-350* for 60-75 minutes until
meat shrinkage/pull-back indicates that the meat is completely cooked and a firm glaze has formed on the skin.

Serve straight up, or with your favorite dipping sauce. I recommend no dipping sauce to achieve the true flavors
and Wild Wing experience.  

Wild Wing Brine:

6defd1d3_1WildBrine.jpg

Mild Brine:

54c1f739_2RegBrine.jpg

Just out of the Wild Brine onto a tray skin side down for the first dry rub application:

4027b894_3WildOut.jpg

1st rub application:

d8e5f9dd_4WildRubbed.jpg

Skin side rubbed:

57e84acc_5WildRacked.jpg

14b2bbb1_6WildRacked.jpg

This is the mild brined for our less adventerous eaters in the house, with my Red Bell Pepper Rub:

480ffd22_7RBPRubbed.jpg

4aec08a2_8RBPRubbed.jpg

2 racks @ near full capacity plus a partial rack, about to take a cold cherry smoke ride in my Smoke Vault 24...

top rack is the mild brined with RBP...mid and lowest racks are the Wild Wings...the lowest has a double-dose of spices:

45a5776c_9IntoSV24.jpg

99e105d3_10IntoSV24.jpg

Prepping for the butter glaze...the mild brined RBP will go into straight butter, then comes the hot sauce/butter blend for the wild wings:

62823631_11ButterBowl.jpg

1 hour in, after 25 minutes cold smoke with cherry @ 120-130* and transitioning into the hot smoke for 35 minutes:

28246ea6_12.jpg

Mild brined RBP, ready for a butter glaze after 1 hour smoking:

b2e9d497_13RBP.jpg

Dripping wet with butter:

9f83e541_14RBPButtered.jpg

26674f25_15.jpg

8f828879_16.jpg

Wild Wings ready for the Hot Sauce Butter Glaze treatment:

a60b1273_17Wild.jpg

Frank's Red Pepper Sauce & Butter glazed for a hot ride to the finish:

b2693076_18WildGlazing.jpg

94b59e1a_19WildGlazed.jpg

d07a6a2c_20WildGlazed.jpg

Yep, that's my finish target chamber temp, and it's 22* now, and we've been under a heavy blanket of fog all day today:

649061af_21Temp.jpg

2 hours in:

dfb261be_222hrs.jpg

2.25 hours, about to come out and play with my senses:

f1d84ccd_23225hrs.jpg

The Wild Wings...double-dosed with seasoned hot sauce butter glaze on the right:

bd5c259c_24Wild.jpg

Hot sauce butter glazed:

32bdb65c_26Wild.jpg

b56acc69_27Wild.jpg

Mild brined with RBP rub:

007163dd_28RBP.jpg

a916efcd_29RBP.jpg

9f4280f1_26Wild.jpg

Double seasoned hot butter glazed on the left, hot butter glazed @ center and mild brined RBP on the right:

95dd0483_31.jpg

de3623e3_32.jpg

The double seasoned Wild Wings have a great kick of flavor...not overpowering heat, though. The single-seasoned and glazed Wild Wings are just a step below with plenty of tantilizing flavor to go around, and the mild brined with RBP are a darn tasty treat as well. Can't say that I wouldn't try any of 'em again, 'cause I'd be lyin'!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you enjoyed the drool-view and reading as much as I enjoyed brining, rubbing, smoking, glazing, smoking and eating...wheeeeeeew! HA-HA-HA!!!

Eric

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

Now thats a nice job on the wings there Eric.

Looks great!  Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Thanks, and you're welcome!

That wings look incredible, how was the cherry smoke taste. Nice Qview too.

Thanks, I like cherry for spicy seasoned birds. A bit sweet with a slight bite and not heavy at all. Apple would probably top my list to go along with milder seasonings on domestic poulty, but the cherry was still a nice finish for the mild brined and rubbed wings. I gotta think back several months here, but it seems I've used the Red Bell Pepper rub on chix pieces, quarters, etc and about any smoke I could throw at it within a reasonable amount of smoke time seemed to be good. If I get a chance to do this spicier brine and rub on wings again, I might hit 'em with a blend of about 25% hickory, 25% cherry and 50% apple...I think that would be a killer match up for the spices.

icon_cool.gif

Now thats a nice job on the wings there Eric.
Thanks Mark, them' lil' buggers sure were tasty! I just ate the last 5 of 'em right now...well, that is if someone didn't stash a batch someplace that I don't know about...wouldn't surprise me if they did. These things were like gold lastnight...probably could have sold rights to sniff 'em! LOL!!! My wife and a couple of my kids were a bit skeptical at first, but I don't think I'll have any problem convincing them to let me smoke up the next batch of wings! HEE-HEE-HEE!!!!!!!!!

Oh, I don't think I mentioned what was in the mild brine, but it was just a toss together of the same concentration of TQ, and a couple Tbls each of garlic & CBP, a Tbls each of Parsley Flakes & Rosemary...I think that's it...nothing special, but still something there to soak into the wings while they brined.

Also, I was pushing closer to 2 hours than 90 minutes on the wild brine, and just over 90 minutes on the mild brine.

Lastnight, it seemed that these wings had a bit of a chew to them from the TQ, which I was able to confirm tonight, so that 2 hour mark was about all it took to get a fair amount of the meat cured. 3 hours would about do a complete cure, I would think. So, if you imagine chicken ham, then that's what you'd have...a bit chewy with all the flavors locked into the meat, and all that coming after the flavor explosion from biting into the glazed skin...aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh, man I wish I had another couple packs of wings to brine!

Thanks all, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Eric

Awful Awesome Eric---As usual !!!!!

I'll make that short, or I'll have to save it somewhere, so I can "copy & paste" it for you, because I can't remember when you smoked something that wasn't "Awful Awesome"!

Thanks for all the great Qview & descriptions,

Bear

Great post Eric. This is going into the recipe files for sure.

Thanks everyone, I figured a few of you would like this...if you're like me, you're always looking for something different or new to try. This was kind of a spur of the moment project...we had planned on hot wings for dinner but the two individuals who would normally have made them (wife and/or oldest daughter) weren't going to make it home early enough to get them done for dinner, so I took it upon myself to indulge in a little play time with TQ. Once that idea started, well, the rest is history! Ha-ha-ha!!!

Hmm, it seems most of my best creations come about this way...no real forethought or time to plan anything in detail...I guess I just roll with whatever is on my mind and see what comes of it, just shooting from the hip, or in this case, wingin' it.

Anyway, hope you enjoy it!

Eric

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky