The X-Fire Ribeye!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oh I wasn’t planning on this but the wife didn’t eat all of hers last night so it turned in to a proper breakfast with the help of a CI for a quick flash sear!!

401A5849-A023-4092-80EF-AA172AF0C426.jpeg

This is what I call pure breakfast money!!!
937ED5B5-C802-495F-9DA6-057E6E2B0476.jpeg

You had me at the dinner pics, nicely done! That breakfast is killer! LIKE x2

Thanks gator! i has hopes for a good dinner but breakfast just happened so it was a real surprise way to start the day!

Looks Excellent, Civil !!!
Nice Job!
Like.
I see you even used my favorite "Slice & Fry in Butter the leftover Baked Tater, along with the Steak & Eggs!!!
PERFECT !!!

Bear

Looks Excellent, Civil !!!
Nice Job!
Like.
I see you even used my favorite "Slice & Fry in Butter the leftover Baked Tater, along with the Steak & Eggs!!!
PERFECT !!!

Bear
Many thanks Bear!

Oh I’m with you 1000%, next day seared Yukon’s are pure gold!!! I just wish I had more more more!

Just a side note, now that I’m older I use classic olive oil with just a hint of butter. I do the same for the steak as well. The olive can handle a bit more heat than pure butter so it creates a harder sear!

Reactions: Bearcarver
You : "Maybe it’s just me but seeing them wrapped in flames is just a beautiful thing! "

narrator : "It wasn't just him"...

Beautiful steaks !!!

Reactions: civilsmoker
Civil you are turning out great food on the X-fire constantly. This is no exception , beautiful!!

Civil you are turning out great food on the X-fire constantly. This is no exception , beautiful!!

thanks jcam! As I said before, the X-Fire is now my favorite cooking instrument to use! The boy and me have been wanting to make more progress on it buts is been pretty dang cool so we have been making knifes....we have 6 in the works but once it gets a little warmer and lighter at night we will start adding the additional cooking zones in!!!! I’m really curious how the smoking plates are going to work.....

My son had his friend over for this meal and he was pretty proud to show off his project! His friend was a little lost for words.....lol.

Reactions: jcam222
I love rib-eye and those were perfect before and after cook for me.
Wife needs it almost no pink, but I can get a his and hers cook with some hot and cool placements on the kettle.

Missed the development of the X Fire.
Noticed the Argentinian style cooking grates. Thank you for pointing out the deficiency of the current design. I thought about making an experimental grate for my Brinkmann.
Have you considered a grate with the "V" spaced further apart?
I thought about using the plasma torch and cutting down the angle iron, too.
The Argentinian style grate has a lot of thermal mass plus the hot and cold spots for direct sear.

Do you capture enough meat juice to make a gravy?

I love rib-eye and those were perfect before and after cook for me.
Wife needs it almost no pink, but I can get a his and hers cook with some hot and cool placements on the kettle.

Missed the development of the X Fire.
Noticed the Argentinian style cooking grates. Thank you for pointing out the deficiency of the current design. I thought about making an experimental grate for my Brinkmann.
Have you considered a grate with the "V" spaced further apart?
I thought about using the plasma torch and cutting down the angle iron, too.
The Argentinian style grate has a lot of thermal mass plus the hot and cold spots for direct sear.

Do you capture enough meat juice to make a gravy?

FA here is a link to build post for the X-Fire Build

My son and I have a 3/8” round rod grate in the works for it, in addition to the v-grate. We could also end up making an expanded metal grate as well. From my perspective the v-grate deficiencies are also its strengths. For example, it calms the intense heat and in a way saves the meat from a burn fest. It has zero burn oil bitter flavor when seared in the flame. The trade off is using a little bit different cooking technique to get that all over sear. I don’t use what is collected because its all just grease. Any juice or moisture is long been evaporated before it gets to the collection tray.

If you read the build post you will see that we actually planned for a bigger space on the v-grate but made them closer to match the space of the Sunterra grates. Now that we have been a using it I can say the spacing is about perfect. As we don’t have any issues with getting a good sear, it just means moving the meat more.....it’s part of the experience now! The v-grates are awesome at preventing flame up though! I have seared steaks in open flame on an expanded metal and you have to be very careful as it can flame like crazy! It will be fun to try the 3/8” SS rod grate when we get is complete.

PS.....I’ve thought about making a v-grate out is 1/2” SS vs the 3/4” for use in a smaller version.....I’m thinking it will be a nice in the middle grate.....just not convinced yet the v will be big enough to move the grease out....but hey that’s what experiments are for.....the challenge is we have to order the 1/2” SS in from Portland in full 20ft sticks....so it’s some coin for an experiment........

PPS....Oh I have a evolution rage chop saw I put a SS cutting blade in (same rpm) and it cuts the SS angle like butter. The boy cut all the 3/4” inch for the x-fire grate in 20 min.

Last edited:
Great looking steaks Civil and then I run across breakfast - wow! I love the cooker. So I dig further and find your build post. Wow again. Santa Maria on steroids! Big like for the steak and the cooker. Plated pics are amazing. I've got to stop using paper plates when I post pics.......:emoji_laughing:

Great looking steaks Civil and then I run across breakfast - wow! I love the cooker. So I dig further and find your build post. Wow again. Santa Maria on steroids! Big like for the steak and the cooker. Plated pics are amazing. I've got to stop using paper plates when I post pics.......:emoji_laughing:
Thanks texo! it’s a fun cook, ribeyes and the grill!

FYI - You don’t have to look for the build post as I included the link to the X-Fire Build above (It’s the underline hyper link).

we have paper plates here to and have even posted them in pics to.....lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky