The Tile over the chip Box in the MES (HELP)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pote05

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 27, 2010
Joetown, MO
Bought a 9x9 Tile at Menards yesterday.. Worker said it was as close to unglazed as they had.. Put it in Smoker this morning to season it??

No meat or anything in there, wanted to cook off any stuff on the tile?  Smoker at 275.

Set it right under Water pan, on top of wood chip box to eleminate  the back corner Hot spot...

Is this the right way to do it??

Last edited:
Should help.  I use tile in my propane smoker for ballast and heat direction.  Just be careful about adding water.  If the water is to cool and strikes the tile the thermal shock will shatter it.  The ones I use are in with the meat racks.

You do have a space for smoke to come out the chip box don't you?

Last edited:
Yes that is the correct place to put it. it will dissapate the hot spot fairly well.

Where did you get your tile? I am kind of worried on this one.. It is a floor tile, but it is ceramic. Hopefully it does not put off any odors or lead.. Where do get an UnGlazed Tile at??  

Ceramic tiles are cooked at very high temps (1400-2000+ degrees) to the point that turn the glaze to glass.  On odors that are in the carrier for the glaze burn off long before they reach the maximum firing temp.  The kilns have a pleasant smell almost like biscuits baking before they are done. I'm thinking that any elements in glaze would be sealed in. 

I got mine at a tile store . It was an exterior patio tile.

You might try a small pizza stone also. Don't know if the round shape would screw stuff up or down? 
33.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky