The smoke started at 9:30 this morning, Smoke in progress

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chargrilled

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
NW Indiana
Hello all, had a great day yesterday, no wind, 65* beautiful!!!! I couldnt take advantage as I had to go the Cubs game yesterday and the smoking god are furious with me so they decided to punish me today
icon_evil.gif
BTW Cubs won, what a game
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif

I am smoking 2 butts for the guys at work this week so I HAVE TO Q TODAY!!! And no that is not high gloss paint on the pit, thats the wet stuff
Attachment 9268

FYI, did the fireplace caulk mod around the SFB,....note to self is dissolves in H2O!!! That stuff was dripin down the fire box, got the coals on and it hardened back up and sealed the friggin door down!!!! When I pryed it up the caulk was stuck to the lid
icon_evil.gif
. Going to have to try sumin else.

Anyhoo, tried the mustard slather with my rub on top, thanks SMF!!!
wink.gif
. Also took two spares and cut em down St. Louis, 1st time for that also. Thanks, Richtee I believe for postin the video, made it easy!!
Attachment 9269
Attachment 9271

Heres my catch once the pit got up to temp.
Attachment 9270

No more grippin cause I cant mow the lawn so alls I have to do is tend the pit!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Got to be noon somewhere right??
aee057e0_vbattach18101.jpg

e8779222_vbattach18100.jpg

a57ad29b_vbattach18098.jpg

0d6fcaa7_vbattach18099.jpg

Good lookin' stuff! Who wants to mow the lawn anyway? My wife mowed ours yesterday
biggrin.gif
. I told her not to do it on Mother's Day.

You and I are on a parallel path it seems today.

However, the day is beautiful and sunny here with very little wind.

I got up a 5:00 AM and had the meat on at 6.

Two butts, some ABT's (first time for these and they are great!!), two slabs of Spare ribs (St louis style, First time for me also and I saw the video and it really helped.) and a fatty. Later going to put some of the cuttings off the ribs for some tips.

yes it WAS a heck of a game.......didn't go to it, but watched it on tv. Lets go for the sweep today.........GO CUBS

nice looking spread tho.........good luck

i also got up a 5 this morning for my butt......gotta just LOVE them early morning smokes..........*YAWN*

They just issued a high wind advisory!!! I can already tell I will be finishing this one in the oven
PDT_Armataz_01_17.gif

Forgot to post, I finally got my new charcoal box. My buddy has been tellin me for weeks that he was going to get the welding done. The size wouldnt fit in the openin so I had to do a lil tweekin last night. Burns great outside of the gale force winds. I have no wind break from a Northern wind, guess which direction its blown.
Attachment 9272
Oh well still chuggin along, got done with 1st spritz and will post again in an hour or so for progress.
2cd3f7c3_vbattach18102.jpg

i feel your pain char.........when i got up at 5, we had HUGE wind gusts......they musta moved your way.........its relatively calm now.......so fingers crossed the winds will die down for you also

3 hrs or so into it. Temps are sitting at 150 with driving and gusting wind
icon_sad.gif

Smokers too heavy to lift off the back deck so im stuck with er there. I have put a patio chair up for relief but that isnt really helpin much. The new basket I think would work good but cant find out today. Fatty is at like 125* after 3 hrs if that tells ya anything. Getting close to the danger range for the butts so another like 1 or 2 hrs and going to foil and oven
icon_rolleyes.gif
. I am going to smoke a bit more but the flavor is in there at this point. There will not be much of a bark, thank god I used mustard to capture what I could. Heres the "q view" sorta.
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

Attachment 9277

I did notice the bones starting to expose so I did foil them, I left the rib tips out for more time.

I wish I could have done this another day, but ohh well it's still fun.
332f9115_vbattach18107.jpg

ya know what, the winds are still real high 25-35 with gusts over 40 but for some reason we are climbing. I now have 175* and a batch of coals going on, hoping just hoping to see 225+.

Fattys are at 153 so things are starting to come together. There is nooooo way I can finish those butts in the smoker as I have to work tomorrow so I have already fired the oven. Just wanted to bring them to 170 before I foiled em and stuck em in the oven
icon_rolleyes.gif
ohhh well. Just about done with the TBS. I will take some pics and post with in an hour.

Thanks Ken, I have seen that one before, have all the mods but in the file you sent it does say. "Consider wind and outside temperature
You will probably have to make adjustments to these times for the wind. Because the
Hondo and Black Diamond are not very airtight, they are quite susceptible to wind.
On a breezy day it might be a good idea to find a spot out of the wind, if possible.
You will also need to adjust for the outside temperature (and perhaps the brand of
charcoal) on the day you cook, but this technique is so easy I can't imagine you
having any problem."

No wind break, no way to get outta er. Just going to fight as long as I can.

fattys came off, holy smoke ring batman
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif
. Turned out real good, moist.
Attachment 9282

I have to surrender to the smoke gods, rest of meat is going into oven 235* till done, may have to still stay up late as those butts are going to take a bit!!!.

post more as it goes.

I post I forgot about is the rolled birds we did last weekend, turned out pretty good very moist, I just like more smoke in mine
biggrin.gif

Attachment 9281

Glen, got no idea why that happened tried to repost pics but they are on the home comp.

Fattys turned out great, pulled pork was awesome too, for comin outta oven. Would have like more smoke taste but oh well.

Let the butts get up to 205 pulled em out and sealed each one in an oven bag (ran outta foil). Tied them up and coolered them with towels for the night (bout 11:30pm), got up this am and pulled em out. WOW, hot as h3ll!!! pulled great and ready for finishing sauce on wed.

Chargrilled sounds like you are doing a exclent job with what you have to work with. Sure looks like it is going to be some yummy fer ya tummy vittles when you are through.. Do you remember where richtee posted the video you were talking about? Thanks...

Looks like a Monday smoke, also about fireplace caulk mod around the SFB I read someone used saran wrap between the lid and caulk then after the caulk cured removed the wrap

I put the caulk on, let it set up a bit, then closed the door to flatten it out to form its own gasket. What I didnt know was that with the rain it sofened up the caulk, I fired the box and the caulk dried back up again with the door closed
eek.gif
. By the end of the smoke there was no caulk left on the box. It had become brittle and broken off.

Going to try the rope gasket thing next.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky