The Sausage Maker recipe for smoking a 20 ish pound turkey.......

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
This looks like something that folks might need and use.... Similar to what I do... very similar... but I finish my birds in the kitchen oven.....

http://www.sausagemaker.com/smokingturkey.aspx

If you use this recipe, follow it EXACTLY as written... all curing recipes should be followed..

OR.... Use pops brining pickle..... It has been proven on this Forum to be a winner, winner Turkey dinner...

Last edited:
Looks tasty. My only concern is the amount of cure being used. 8oz. for 2.5 gallons of brine seems like an awful lot, considering I only use 2 oz. for 2 gallons of brine when curing bacon. Anyone else feel that way?

I have tried to do the math, and totally DO NOT understand commercial recipes for curing meats in a pickle/brine... The only explanation I can come up with is.... 2 days in the pickle... not all the nitrite will be absorbed... Using that method, temperature of the bird, pickle and refer is critical... Below 36 deg F, the curing process slows dramatically....

edited

Last edited:
I have tried to do the math, and totally understand commercial recipes for curing meats in a pickle/brine... The only explanation I can come up with is.... 2 days in the pickle... not all the nitrite will be absorbed... Using that method, temperature of the bird, pickle and refer is critical... Below 36 deg F, the curing process slows dramatically....
I suppose that's a possibility. Just seems like a lot of nitrite.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky