• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

diversification

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 19, 2021
Hey there, I'm looking for some heavy duty wire racks similar to the ones used for baking, but I want heavy duty ones that aren't going to be bothered by the weight of a roast or something. I'll primarily use them for wings, I think, but I figure I want to make sure it they can stand up to whatever I throw at them. Anyone have any particularly good or bad experiences with specific ones you can recommend (or recommend against?)

Thanks!

EDIT:
I needed this for the 4th, so I went ahead and just pulled the trigger on 5 different racks from Amazon. When I receive them, I'll figure out which I like best and return the others. I'll edit this post with my thoughts.

My grill is big enough for 4 separate sheets, so I went ahead and ordered 6 of each type; my hope is that the extra 2 will let me "flip" each of the wing racks by pinching one of the spares onto the filled rack, and then just turning over. Additionally, having the wings on these racks will let me very quickly go from kitchen to grill, rotate grill position, flip (hopefully), and from grill to kitchen. I think I'm going to find that these are a godsend for trying to do wings in bulk for groups.

Anyway, here are the ones I bought in no particular order along with their sizes, prices, and features / claims that are listed on Amazon:
  • Priority Chef - 11.5" x 16.5" x 1" --
    • $26.95 for 2
    • Features / claims are:
      • 100% 304 (18/8) stainless steal with no plating or coatings
      • Oven, Grill, and Dishwasher safe
      • Safe for temps up to 575 F
      • 3 crossbars
      • There's a pic showing a 35 lb weight on it, implying that may be the max
      • Lifetime Warranty. Your purchase is risk free for life and secured with our Better Baking Lifetime Warranty & Guarantee. If you don’t love your Priority Chef cooling rack, let us know and we’ll give you a full refund or replacement.

• Kitchenatics - 11.8" x 16.9" x 1" --
    • $30.58 for 2
    • Features / claims are:
      • 45 lb max weight limit
      • Lifetime Guarantee & Free Downloadable Recipe Ebook: For questions or concerns about your baking cooling racks, just click on the Kitchenatics name on our listing followed by the "Ask a Question" button for support.

• Checkered Chef- 12" x 17" x 0.5" --
    • $6.99 for 1
    • Features / claims are:
      • 100% stainless steel with no artificial coatings or treatments
      • Oven and Dishwasher safe
      • 4 crossbars
      • Checkered Chef's 100% satisfaction guarantee.
      • This is the current top recommendation from America's Test Kitchen for wire racks

• Masterrack - 11.75" x 16.5 x 0.7" --
    • $16.38 for 1
    • Features / claims are:
      • In one of the pics is shows "100% Satisfaction Guarantee" printed on the packaging
      • Electronic polish. Material compliance with FDA, ROHS by SGS. No rust, no iron chrome plate, no iron coating, non toxic.
      • 0.22"/5.6mm wire frame and leg, and 0.078"/2.0mm wire mesh, with 10mm grid

• Ultra Cuisine- 11.5" x 16.5" x 1" --
    • $26.99 for 2
    • Features / claims are:
      • 3 crossbars
      • There's a pic showing a 15 lb, 25 lb, and 20 lb weight on it, implying that 60 lbs may be the max

Last edited:
Are you looking for "cooling racks" with legs or racks/grates for a grill?
Essentially I'm after chicken wing racks. Putting on, flipping, relocating, and pulling off wings one by one is maddening if you're doing more than about 15 wings. Since I am doing quite a lot of wings for the 4th I want four racks I can put the wings on, and then at least one extra rack that will allow me to quickly "flip" an entire rack of wings (TBD if that'll actually work lol.) Having these will let me quickly and easily get the wings to and from the grill, flip them (maybe), and relocate as necessary.

I do like the Rec Tec rack linked above, but it's a bit pricey probably a bit taller than I want, a bit less surface area than I'd prefer, and a bit higher price than I'd prefer. Instead I went and bought about 5 different types of stainless steel racks on Amazon, and I'm going to compare them and send back the ones that I don't like. I just edited my OP to include the details of which ones I ordered, and I'll follow back up naming a winner when they arrive.

I get it now. Use them in pairs, loaded with wings (or thighs or drums, or brats, dogs etc) inside, with the corners zip-tied until serving. You can still spice or sauce them through the grids. Flip and move them on the fire, but a dozen wings at a time instead of individually...might need bigger/stronger tongs than normal, but they exist.
The shorter time the lid is up the better. Less heat loss, fewer bbq'ed eyeballs.
My only advice, and as you've apparently done, is to buy them in pairs so top and bottom match. No real strength needed here, so I'd buy the cheapest.
A few of these may prove useful, but they're not cheap:

Reactions: diversification
I get it now. Use them in pairs, loaded with wings (or thighs or drums, or brats, dogs etc) inside, with the corners zip-tied until serving. You can still spice or sauce them through the grids. Flip and move them on the fire, but a dozen wings at a time instead of individually...might need bigger/stronger tongs than normal, but they exist.
The shorter time the lid is up the better. Less heat loss, fewer bbq'ed eyeballs.
My only advice, and as you've apparently done, is to buy them in pairs so top and bottom match. No real strength needed here, so I'd buy the cheapest.
A few of these may prove useful, but they're not cheap:
Damn it... I just put in an order for 4 x 5 different varieties of this too. I'm going to have a LOT of Amazon returns lol.

• Wow
Reactions: negolien
Once you get a closer look at those racks, would you mind sharing the pro's of the ones you keep?

For hassle free wing and leg cooking, this style of rack will hold 12 of either.
82dUwCy.jpg
ZqHt6Dp.jpg
hCfSmlO.jpg

Yep, will do. I'd guess that if the sandwich style ones will fit 4x into my grill, I'll probably end up keeping one of them and sending everything else back save for maybe a couple of the wire racks.

I do expect to find material differences between each of these, and I say that because I've already received some of the standard wire racks, and have noticed some are definitely thicker gauge. Sadly, I don't think I'll be able to test whether these items are truly uncoated stainless steel or not because apparently the magnet test isn't really that useful unless it's used with a whole battery of other tests, which are far beyond my abilities and the scope of this little experiment.

Regarding those other style chicken wing holders, I did see them, but I really dislike buying single-use items if I can avoid it. With the standard racks or sandwich style ones I expect I'll be able to do veggies, kabobs, fish, chicken breasts, bacon, shrimp, and so on.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky