The Sausage Maker Poultry Brine mixing directions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

poacherjoe

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 7, 2019
Central Ca
It calls for 2.5 gallons of water with 1 lb of the brine mix. My question is that it calls for 8 ounces of cure@1 ! Thats alot of cure!!! Is this correct?

Prague Powder #1: Alternate names include pink curing salt, InstaCure #1, sel rose, Quick Cure, tinted curing mixture (TCM), Modern Cure, DC Cure, and DQ Cure. Prague powder is a generically named compound (the aforementioned patent expired decades ago) that contains 6.25 percent sodium nitrite and 92 percent sodium chloride as well as an anti-caking agent and a very small amount of FD&C Red No. 3 to dye it cotton candy pink and distinguish it from other salts in your kitchen. A mere 4 ounces will cure 100 pounds of meat (use 1 level teaspoon for every 5 pounds of meat). As some of its alternate names imply, it works quickly. Meats like sausage can be smoked or cooked right away. If brining, use 3 ounces per gallon of water and allow enough time for the salts to penetrate the food, usually 24 hours. Follow the manufacturer’s directions carefully. Again, nitrates/nitrites can be toxic when not used in the recommended proportions. Use for wet-cured hams, jerky, salami, pastrami, sausage, cured fish, corned beef, and bacon.

Reactions: poacherjoe
I think it depends on what you are trying to make? depending on the temperature in the smoke chamber you may not even need to use cure fro chicken? if you want the pink/ham taste more like deli luncheon meats then you need cure.

Reactions: poacherjoe

Cure # 1 the pink stuff is what is called for and it just seems like a lot but I did read about 3 level teaspoons per gallon and that is what I am using so I guess it is correct. If I like the brine I will purchase a larger container of cure#1 for future use. Thanks for the replies...

What about the time frame to brine a turkey breast or doves? Will it ruin the meat is it soaks to long?

When purchasing the Pink Cure try Butcher Packer they seem to be the cheapest.

$3.50/LB.

Seems like a lot to me too, but I don't do wet brines. I like to hear what others say.

It calls for 2.5 gallons of water with 1 lb of the brine mix. My question is that it calls for 8 ounces of cure@1 ! Thats alot of cure!!! Is this correct?

Please post the recipe of which you speak... I looked on TSM and they noted the recipe was on the package... Sooooo I can't check the recipe....

2.5 gallons water
1 pound TSM mix
8 oz instacure #1
Dissolve all the ingredients in cold water 38-40 F andsubmerge turkey for at least 3 days. A large turkey will take about 5 days. Then place in pre heated smoker at 130 degrees, smoke for 1 hour with damper wide open. Close the damper and smoke at 140 for 5 hours and hold for 4 hours. Then raise temp to 165 and hold until IT reaches 152. Remove from smoker and let temp drop to 100 before placing in cooler

WOW !!! That a lot of cure#1.... Let me explain....
Approx. 1.1 grams of cure#1 per pound gives 150 Ppm nitrite...
If you have a 20# bird and 2.5 gal. liquid, (2.5 X 8.35 = ~21#'s), + 20# bird = ~ 41#'s of stuff....
8 oz. X 28.3 grams per oz. = ~226 grams of cure#1... divided by 1.1 = ~205#'s of stuff will be properly cured using 8oz. of cure... If your brine and bird = 41#, you have 5X more nitrite than the USDA recommended....

Pops curing brine is 1 heaping TBS cure#1 per gallon... 1 heaping TBS weighs ~ 20-25 grams....
Since you can only get about a 10-14# bird in that gallon, your mix is 8.35 + 14 = ~22#'s of stuff....
20-25 grams of cure#1 added to ~22#'s of stuff is perfect for equilibrium cure brining according to the USDA... 1.1 grams per # .......

You were ABSOLUTELY correct to think that was a lot of cure.....

Reactions: DanMcG
WOW !!! That a lot of cure#1.... Let me explain....
Approx. 1.1 grams of cure#1 per pound gives 150 Ppm nitrite...
If you have a 20# bird and 2.5 gal. liquid, (2.5 X 8.35 = ~21#'s), + 20# bird = ~ 41#'s of stuff....
8 oz. X 28.3 grams per oz. = ~226 grams of cure#1... divided by 1.1 = ~205#'s of stuff will be properly cured using 8oz. of cure... If your brine and bird = 41#, you have 5X more nitrite than the USDA recommended....

Pops curing brine is 1 heaping TBS cure#1 per gallon... 1 heaping TBS weighs ~ 20-25 grams....
Since you can only get about a 10-14# bird in that gallon, your mix is 8.35 + 14 = ~22#'s of stuff....
20-25 grams of cure#1 added to ~22#'s of stuff is perfect for equilibrium cure brining according to the USDA... 1.1 grams per # .......

You were ABSOLUTELY correct to think that was a lot of cure.....
I did call them and ask but the rep wasn't to sure herself!! This is what is listed on the jar that it comes in and it has good reviews . Well I have the breast in the brine right now so we will see how it turns out in a couple days.

good luck

If you go that route I would really be concerned about over salting and the product ending up to salty?

The pink cure consist of the 6.25% sodium nitrate and 93.75% salt.

If you are brining chickens they are not that thick to need a long brining?

Are you injecting the brine plus soaking?

Just soaking a turkey breast and I am going to toss a couple of doves in for a short soak and then they all go in the smoker. I am aware of the salt and that's why I called them directly.It's been in 24 hours so far, They are supposed to call me today and hopefully they have someone that is schooled on the subject . If it's a bust it didn't break my bank account. Once again that is the published data and it has good reviews so we shall see. Thanks

What they neglected to tell you is...... When you mix the cure per the label instructions, you are supposed to inject it in the meat at a 10% weight of the meat to get a proper amount of nitrite in the meat...
Read the center "Directions" and the part about a 10% pump....

Cure #1.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky