THE PERFECT SMOKER ??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I learned that gadgets are fine but first, you have to learn how to use your equipment. Once I learned the nuances of a GF smoker, using the gadget has become easier than ever. I can compare it to learning how to drive a stick AFTER learning how to drive an automatic. I would be the first to tell anyone that I'm still on the learning curve with my equipment. I'm not sure if I'll ever learn everything but I will be able to use it manually AND/OR with the DigiQ. My next challenge is to learn how to smoke meat using my propane grill. I rarely use it. Usually when the grandkids come over with hotdogs and burgers and such. Never for serious cooking.

As I said last week, this was an incredible read. However, from a novice standpoint, it seems that every experienced smoker is convinced that his equipment is the "perfect" smoker. To be more to the point, when reading from all you guys, it is most confusing to a novice when trying to do his due diligence and select a good smoker to grow with. When funds are limited, and space is a challenge, it's very difficult to surround myself with 4-6 smokers to have the exact one to do every individual type of smoke imaginable.

Again, great read, but hard to digest and also very hard to boil down to the perfect smoker to start with. I just know that when I finally select what is "right" for me, something new will come along and all of the experienced guys will flock to buy one. Thanks to everybody for your opinions, your tips and methods and for your patience with us noobies, especially me. It is very bewildering.
I guess to just cut to the chase "Whatever you smoker you have or buy can be the perfect smoker"  Main thing is Decide What type you want, then look around and get the best one that you can afford and fits your needs.

Gary

Reactions: bigred77
As I said last week, this was an incredible read. However, from a novice standpoint, it seems that every experienced smoker is convinced that his equipment is the "perfect" smoker. To be more to the point, when reading from all you guys, it is most confusing to a novice when trying to do his due diligence and select a good smoker to grow with. When funds are limited, and space is a challenge, it's very difficult to surround myself with 4-6 smokers to have the exact one to do every individual type of smoke imaginable.

Again, great read, but hard to digest and also very hard to boil down to the perfect smoker to start with. I just know that when I finally select what is "right" for me, something new will come along and all of the experienced guys will flock to buy one. Thanks to everybody for your opinions, your tips and methods and for your patience with us noobies, especially me. It is very bewildering.
I think what everyone is trying to say in confusing ways, is that it doesnt matter which smoker you have or get, its you and your practice & patience that make it the "perfect smoker"

REALLY good food can be produced on any smoker, doesnt matter if its electric, pellet, charcoal, stick burning, offset, vertical, horizontal, reverse or upside down flow, they all work and all work well as long as you learn how to make it do what you want it to.

on the recommendation side of things.....

you state "funds are limited and space is a challenge",   

I would say look at the El Cheapo Brinkman (ECB on the forum), or if you are more hands on building stuff maybe the Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS on the forum), both have sections dedicated to them on here

both of those work great as 'first timers' and both serve lots of people well as the last smoker they will ever buy or build

REALLY good food can be produced on any smoker,
Far from an expert on smoking. Have made a few Tri Tips in our MES40 using our AMNPS for smoke. Defrosted one a few days ago. Used the same rub as earlier. Only change was we used our BGE. Night and day difference. Way more juicy and flavorful off the Egg. Both smokers were held at 225*.

Thanks, Gary and Big Red. Your comments and suggestions have really been helpful. It's good to be a part of this site and know that folks are always ready to help, no matter what the level of experience is.

Joe

After reading the forums for the past few weeks I've come to the conclusion that "The Perfect Smoker" is one with lots of experience,  i.e. it's the person not the equipment.

After reading the forums for the past few weeks I've come to the conclusion that "The Perfect Smoker" is one with lots of experience,  i.e. it's the person not the equipment.
You are exactly Right, Once you learn and get Comfortable you can smoke on anything. Kinda like comparing a pinto to a Cadillac 

Both will get you there, Its just the style in which you like to travel

Gary

Hey Gary

Just read this post again.  And again thought it was a brilliant idea to post it!!  People have to understand that there is no shame in having an ECB if that's what they can afford or want.  As has been said, you can produce great BBQ on ANY smoker.  

Thanks for taking the time to think this through and write it up.

points.gif

Gary

Thank's Gary.   I read over and over about a newbie getting an inexpensive smoker and saying "I can't wait to upgrade"  After I sold my first shop built smoker.grill combo (actually stayed with a house I sold)  I smoked on an ECB for years.  I know quite a few people who got all excited about smoking after watching BBQ Pitmaster's, went out and spent a bunch on custom smokers, used them a few times, BBQ tasted like ----  well it wasn't good, and now they have yard art. They never realized that it's the person, not the smoker.

Again thanks for keeping this thread alive

Gary

Just like any other tool, a smoker is only as good as the person using it. And what's the best way to get really good? Practice, practice, practice since as we all know, experience is the best teacher.

Smoke On!

Hmmm, a lot of very supportive spirit here. It is refreshing.  The "perfect for everyone" smoker does not exist, but there is a "perfect for you" smoker out there.  I think smokers can be categorized based upon how it fits common criteria.

Here are some examples:

SIZE

Cooks couple sized meals

Cooks family sized meals

Cooks medium group sized meals

Cooks for hoards of starving minions.

TEMPERATURE CONTROL

Temperature control is mastered through experience and skill

Temperature control is easily mastered

Temperature control is dialed in and automatic

TEMPERATURE RANGE

140-300

140-400

140-500

140-800 (yes this exists)

HEAT SOURCE AND ATTENTION REQUIRED

Burns wood splits, user enjoys tending a fire.

Burns charcoal and wood, user does some tending, but doesn't want to sit continuously out by the pit

Burns charcoal and wood, user sets the temperature once and walks away

Burns Gas, and wood chips/pellets but may require some adjustments during the cook

Burns Gas, and wood chips/pellets set and forget on the temperature

Electric, and wood chips/pellets set and forget

TYPES OF HEAT IT PRODUCES

Indirect heat only

Indirect or Direct heat

Indirect and Direct heat at the same time

DURABILITY

Smoker lasts a few years

Smoker lasts several years

Smoker lasts for decades, or a lifetime

WARRANTY

No warranty

warranty less than 3 years

warranty is 5 ish years

warranty lasts a lifetime

TRANSPORTABILITY

Easily portable

Luggable

Towable

Act of congress required to move more than a few feet

EFFICIENCY

Requires half a forest to cook a couple packer briskets

Requires more wood/charcoal than you could hold in your arms to cook a couple packer briskets

Efficient, one bag of charcoal and some wood chunks will cook a couple of packer briskets

APPEARANCE (most smoker owners thinks their toy is a thing of beauty because of what it makes, wife may think otherwise)

Hideous to behold (according to your wife), but produces nice Q

Wife doesn't wince when she looks at it, and produces nice Q

Wife gives it a tolerant smile when she sees it.

Wife comments it looks really nice, and wants you to move it to a more obvious location to be admired

COST (perhaps should have been listed first)

Easy entry point, spare change from a single paycheck buys it

Moderate price point, a little covert saving results in having enough money to get it in a month or so.

Low end begging and pleading with the spouse, still well under two weeks paycheck.

Intensive wheeling and dealing with the spouse, one or two paychecks cost

Taj Mahal  variety, once in a lifetime uber-purchase (you have cashed in all your chips for a decade)

Last edited:
Sorry Gary, I guess I was responding to the title of the thread "the perfect smoker", rather than the content which read like "it is all about the chef, and not the equipment".  Although there are amazing cooks who can produce world-class Q with a can of sterno, a few dried twigs and a rinsed out paint bucket, almost everyone will agree a novice will have better luck with equipment which makes the job easier. 

I am pretty sure I said in one or post, It's not the equipment it's the person doing the smoking. If you don't learn the basics, smoke enough to get comfortable, an expensive smoker won't make you a great cook. I have several friends who got all hyped up after watching BBQ Pit Masters, went out and bought expensive smokers and were very disappointed . They thought that having a great smoker would produce great BBQ.  Here is a good example, Both a Pinto and a Cadillac will get you where your going, It's the style in which you want to travel.

I agree better smokers are easier, I've been smoking for over 40 years smoked on all types, Love my RF, but I can turn out just as good BBQ on my old ECB.

Gary

That's a good shopping list, Addertooth. But, the lesser experienced person would still have a hard time working through all of the options. Gary's post gives the individual a way to work through his personal experience level and find a comfortable place to start. With over 40 years of experience as a smoker and a builder, Gary helped me tremendously in moving to the next step of my equipment and my cooking. Everyone has his own needs and wants. Everyone has his own opinions. Everyone can contribute at his own level of experience. Let's not get into a weeing contest over right and wrong when everyone also needs to learn at his own pace.

Without doubt, good BBQ can be turned out on a fire on the ground. There's no equipment needed. In the end, the product is most definitely not the equipment or the gadgets, Its the person. The person is injecting, rubbing, checking the fire, saucing, tending, slicing or pulling. Only practice, experience, trial and error and eating a lot of mistakes will make the "Perfect Smoker".

That's a good shopping list, Addertooth. But, the lesser experienced person would still have a hard time working through all of the options. Gary's post gives the individual a way to work through his personal experience level and find a comfortable place to start. With over 40 years of experience as a smoker and a builder, Gary helped me tremendously in moving to the next step of my equipment and my cooking. Everyone has his own needs and wants. Everyone has his own opinions. Everyone can contribute at his own level of experience. Let's not get into a weeing contest over right and wrong when everyone also needs to learn at his own pace.

Without doubt, good BBQ can be turned out on a fire on the ground. There's no equipment needed. In the end, the product is most definitely not the equipment or the gadgets, Its the person. The person is injecting, rubbing, checking the fire, saucing, tending, slicing or pulling. Only practice, experience, trial and error and eating a lot of mistakes will make the "Perfect Smoker".
Amen!!

I think Joe is right on point,the smoker is just one piece of the puzzel.When you learn to control the heat and smoke on  your smoker, so as to cook that piece of meat with just the right amount of smoke and be moist and tender. Then you have yourself the "Perfect Smoker ". The reason for smoking is to add smoke flavor to the meat.The smoke is intended to compliment the meat. If you can master the control  of temp and smoke on any smoke cooker ,it's a perfect smoker. Some are easier than others. Now we can move on to rubs,sauces.,brines , injections ,type of wood ,etc

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky