The "Lil Joe" offset vertical smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokedstanley

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 5, 2013
Taunton, Ma
After building the last two smokers I have decided to build a smaller one. The "Lil Joe" an offset vertical smoker. I started the build last friday with a goal of smoking a brisket for new years eve. There will be 3 racks behind each door 24"X24". Making some good progress, and hoping to be ready for paint by tomorrow night.

Really nice piece there. Will you have tuning plates also or is the baffle enough to even temps across bottom racks? Like to see how you fabricated your side rack if you ever get a chance. Good luck breaking it in. Have a Happy New Year.

Since the racks are only 24X24 I don't think baffles/ tuning plates will be needed. As for the side rack it is just 1-1/2" sheet metal angle with a 12X24" piece of expanded metal. I spaced it 4 inches off the side to help keep anything on the shelf from getting to hot. I will give an update on both baffle and shelf if I find any issues with them.

You are right. There is a small deflector, baffle plate. it is primarily to divert drippings away from the firebox opening and push the heat down before it goes up. I did think about making the shelf fold but didn't see a need for it since the shelf is over the firebox and can't hit anything when moving it. 

so what would a smoker like this cost to build. I don't weld but may look at buying the material and having the metal shop in my school build one for me. This one looks better than any I've seen.

I'm building one similar to yours. Was wondering how high you mounted the fire box, and how big is your opening to the cook chamber.

so what would a smoker like this cost to build. I don't weld but may look at buying the material and having the metal shop in my school build one for me. This one looks better than any I've seen.
Thank you, and I think I spent around $700 in materials. 1/4" on the firbox, 3/16" on the body, 304 stainless for the racks, plus all the misc. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky