The Burger Brawl is over and the winners are...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Not gonna lie guys I am not proud of my entry. The burger tasted great but I was in a hurry and didn’t present it well at all. I sent a message after my entry to please omit it but I don’t think he saw it. Oh well. I’ll do better next time.
Fred

Was very pleased to see the number of entries. They all made me hungry. Big congrats to Ray on the winning entry!

The question to all who viewed and didn't vote, WHY?

Not gonna lie guys I am not proud of my entry. The burger tasted great but I was in a hurry and didn’t present it well at all. I sent a message after my entry to please omit it but I don’t think he saw it. Oh well. I’ll do better next time.
Fred
Never be ashamed of your work. I don't know which of the 10 you entered, but they all looked good to me.

Chris

Reactions: Texas Cookin'
Fred

Never be ashamed of your work. I don't know which of the 10 you entered, but they all looked good to me.

Chris
I’m in full agreement with Chris here! A burger is one of the more difficult foods to plate and take a showcase picture of there is. All the entries were great and deserve to be celebrated! Sharing a recipe in the world today is a great thing and why most of are here! I always like seeing who puts and entry in!!!

Reactions: Texas Cookin'
Worthy Winners All!!! Congrats to you guys! For all the other entrants, I honestly thought any one of the entries were good enough to win...this was a hard one to vote!

Red

Rather than start a new thread, I'll just add a few notes on the creation of my Jalapeño popper burger here. I'd been traveling much of the time the brawl was open for entries, returning on the last day for submission. Naturally, it was pouring rain all day... So I confess, this was cooked entirely indoors. I've no photos, other than the pic of the completed entry.

I started with a pound of 85% lean ground beef, formed it into 4 thin and fairly large diameter patties, which I seasoned with salt and pepper. I then cut 4 disks from large cheddar cheese slices. Two disks each went on top of two of the patties, were topped with the other two patties, and I pressed the edges together all the way around to form two inside-out cheeseburgers. These were broiled, flipping once, to an internal temp of about 145F.

I used Nathan's onion rings, baked at the temp indicated on the package...400F, maybe? Then I cooled the oven to 325F and made the bacon-wrapped jalapeño poppers (ABTs) in the oven, a first for me, but they turned out great.

I used Bibb lettuce and heirloom tomato slices on the lower bun, as they seemed more photogenic, topped with the broiled cheeseburgers, then a slathering of Head Country BBQ sauce, the onion rings (I nested three, small, medium, and large on each burger) and finally put three poppers on each one and topped with the other half of the bun.

The cut burger on the right doesn't really show the interior cheese, perhaps I didn't use enough, and much oozed out of the burger exterior. The intact burger on the left does show the delicious cheese ooze.

Of course, everything cooled down while plating the burgers for the photo, so when I had a good pic, I simply removed the burger/onion ring/popper stacks and rewarmed them before reassembling the burgers to eat. They were delicious!

1682952060941.png

Here's what I made.
1/2# of 80/20 hamburger mixed with black pepper, a little hot shake (Secret recipe), Worcestershire sauce, then press formed to hollow out the middles and filled with Swiss, Sharp Cheddar and a dab of Braswell's Bourbon grilling sauce. Cooked on a stainless steel plate in my Kamado and served on a toasted bun with salt water fried onions, blue cheese dressing, Dukes Mayonnaise, Heinz 57 sauce, lettuce, tomato and a slice of hard boiled egg. Corn on the cob on the side.

Burger Brawl (8).jpg

Burger Brawl (7).jpg

Burger Brawl (5).jpg
Burger Brawl (1).jpg

Here's what I made.
1/2# of 80/20 hamburger mixed with black pepper, a little hot shake (Secret recipe), Worcestershire sauce, then press formed to hollow out the middles and filled with Swiss, Sharp Cheddar and a dab of Braswell's Bourbon grilling sauce. Cooked on a stainless steel plate in my Kamado and served on a toasted bun with salt water fried onions, blue cheese dressing, Dukes Mayonnaise, Heinz 57 sauce, lettuce, tomato and a slice of hard boiled egg. Corn on the cob on the side.

View attachment 665248
View attachment 665249
View attachment 665250View attachment 665251
Man that looks very tasty! Very nice work!

Full transparency, I submitted the Oklahoma smash burger with homemade Guacamole and Dill Pickle dip. The dill pickle dip is amazing on a burger. It is cream cheese, dill pickles, pickle juice and vinegar all mixed to taste. I was going to put avocado slices on it but my wife had made guacamole with them already. The burger was full of flavor but I hastily prepped it for the photo opp and it looked pretty crummy. I only had one other photo of the burgers on the grill. Congrats to the winners. I plan on redeeming myself in a Throwdown soon.
Fred

IMG_2728.jpeg
IMG_2729.jpeg

Full transparency, I submitted the Oklahoma smash burger with homemade Guacamole and Dill Pickle dip. The dill pickle dip is amazing on a burger. It is cream cheese, dill pickles, pickle juice and vinegar all mixed to taste. I was going to put avocado slices on it but my wife had made guacamole with them already. The burger was full of flavor but I hastily prepped it for the photo opp and it looked pretty crummy. I only had one other photo of the burgers on the grill. Congrats to the winners. I plan on redeeming myself in a Throwdown soon.
Fred

View attachment 665309View attachment 665310
I fail to see anything wrong with your entry. Plated shot maybe could have been a little better, but other than that, it was a worthy entry.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Fred

View attachment 665309View attachment 665310
My paper plate with the duck taking a bite out of the burger didn’t help either. 😂

Reactions: DougE
salt water fried onions
Do tell what are these onions?

All the burgers looked killer. I almost entered as I had some ideas in my head from a battle of the burgers event last year at the local Military Aviation Museum, but I just didn't have time. Besides, the burger I voted for would have crushed anything I was gonna do :emoji_laughing:

Someone showed me that a long time ago after you cut up your onion sprinkle them salt then let them sit in the air for an hour or so. Dry them on a paper towel. Then fry them. The salt draws out the water in the onion. they brown well. .

Reactions: Buckeyedude
I have contemplated entering each of the Throwdowns, but time always seems to get in the way. I do get a lot of inspiration from them, though. Seeing all of these fantastic entries in this one proves how many talented people we have here...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky