the best rub

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Making your own enough times and finally getting it the way you like it is great. I do it both ways in that sometimes i just use a pre-packaged rub and usually have several on stand-by in the pantry. There is a great old one called "Willinghams" and it's great for all types of pork. Me and my cousin ordered a case and split it a few years ago. It's pungent and righteous!

Thanks for the rub rec. I like Spanish Praprika, it is smoky, comes in three versions sweet to hot, all smoky though.

Big Rub

I think making your own and coming up with the flavors that you enjoy is half the fun of cooking! I spent several years coming up with a flavor that my family and I enjoyed, plus its fun buying 25lb bags of brown sugar!

I switch off between famous dave's rib rub and this rub for ribs

1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
2 tablespoons garlic salt
2 tablespoons onion salt
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon or less cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons white pepper
1 teaspoon cumin

images?q=tbn:CTnLlfQjJ3IQ_M:.jpg

And Chris Lilly's championship recipe for pork butts

RUB

1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic salt
1/3 cup kosher salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano leaves
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
-----------
Pork injection
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons Worcestershire

Try this... It is Mild and compliments different style sauces well...Add anything you like, I put more Blk and Red Pepper if guests can handle it...JJ

Mild Bubba Q Rub

1/2C Sugar in the Raw (Turbinado)

2T Sweet Paprika (Hungarian)

1T Kosher Salt

1T Chili Powder (contains some Cumin and Oregano) Ancho Chile is same without cumin, oregano etc.

1T Granulated Garlic

1T Granulated Onion

1tsp Black Pepper, more if you like

1/2tsp Grnd Allspice

Cayenne or Chipotle Pwd to taste, start with 1/2tsp and go from there.
Keep the recipes coming!!!
All the recipes in this thread are now in one place, before Chef Jimmy posted his, none had been posted in 2 years. If you want more click on "Articles" at the top of the page and then click on the Recipes tab, you'll find some interesting ideas. I've posted a few there, one of them is similar to Chef Jimmy's and the first one posted by Reichl. Good Luck.
icon14.gif

Last edited:
I make my own rubs because I think that's part of the fun.  What I use looks something like this:

1 Tbs Hungarian Paprika

1/2 Tbs Onion Powder

1 Tbs Garlic Power

1/2 Tbs Black Pepper

1/2 Tbs White Pepper

1/2 Tbs Sage

1/2 Tbs Cumin

1/2 Tbs Sea Salt

I like Paprika so I usually add extra.

Newbie here - I do find that for a quick rub that you can buy for all types of pork I would suggest 
b252b6d3_Butt-Rub-26oz.jpg
Yes I forgot the Butt Rub, be carefull it is really peppery and hot if you apply a thick coat, I do!!!

I'm not much for mixing my own rubs.  I really like Famous Dave's Rib Rub and we bought some of Sweet P's rub when we were in Knoxville, TN.  BOth are great on pork and chicken.  I used Sweet P's on Salmon aswell, and loved it.

I used to make my own rub for years, everyone raved about it.   Then one day I only had two days to get ready for cook out for 60 , so I bought Chief Choice BBQ seasoning at restaurant depot, It was so close to my rub that cost me 5 times as much to make my self, we are talking this stuff at restaurant depot is only $14.00 bucks for a gallon size jug.

So now I just buy that, add my other secret ingredient, ( dont ask)  and Im good to go.

Hey everyone  I AM SHOCKED!!!!! NOBODY MENTIONED JEFF'S RUB????? WOW i AM ASHAMED OF YOU NOT TO GIVE PLAUDITS TO HIM, THE SPONSER OF THIS WEB SITE.  I purchased his recipes for the rub and the sauce and they are TERRIFIC! and of course you can modify them to suit your personal tastes.

BEST TO ALL JFKIII

Hey everyone  I AM SHOCKED!!!!! NOBODY MENTIONED JEFF'S RUB????? WOW i AM ASHAMED OF YOU NOT TO GIVE PLAUDITS TO HIM, THE SPONSER OF THIS WEB SITE.  I purchased his recipes for the rub and the sauce and they are TERRIFIC! and of course you can modify them to suit your personal tastes.

BEST TO ALL JFKIII
If you read through the posts  on the first page and you will see that Jeff's rub was mentioned in several posts.

Last edited:
Reactions: bubba mcnabb
Just recieved Plowboys Bovine and Yardbird rubs and let me tell ya both are smack your mama's, mama good. Ya,,,, this shiz is that good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky