the best rub

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Totally hooked on Spade L. Ranch products here. Especially the Beef rub which I think is great on pork too. I have tried Lysanders rubs and they are pretty darn good. Jeffs rub just plain kicks butt as well.

The Rub I use on most Pork or Fowl is a Brown Sweet Sugar BBQ Rub mixed with Pork Sausage Seasoning by Legg's Old Plantation. Work it until it taste good, no special of a little of this or a little of that but use more Brown Rub than Pork. If you want it a little hotter then add Red Pepper Flake or your favorite dry hot spices.

Do Not waste you your money on expensive rubs.. Buy Tony's Chacheres at the dollar store.. Coat your Pork ribs let sit for one hour.. then put a lot of brown sugar on ribs... Taste great for 1.00 worth of spice.. smoke with pecan for 3 hours at 225* then slice up

Do Not waste you your money on expensive rubs.. Buy Tony's Chacheres at the dollar store.. Coat your Pork ribs let sit for one hour.. then put a lot of brown sugar on ribs... Taste great for 1.00 worth of spice.. smoke with pecan for 3 hours at 225* then slice up

Not a big fan of Chacheres - way too much salt for me. 

eek.gif
    I also smoke my ribs at 225 but they take 6 hours to finish instead of 3... 

Here is a couple more of my Favorites...JJ

These are two recipes I have used on Beef with success. First has a very South Western/ Texas flavor. The second is my Go To for anything Beef...JJ

Run for the Border Rub

2T Kosher Salt

2T Ancho Chile Powder

1T Chipotle Powder

1T Oregano, Mexican is preferred 

1T Gran Garlic

1T Gran Onion

1T Black Pepper

1T Cayenne

1-2tsp Gnd Cumin

1tsp Cocoa Powder

1/2tsp Cinnamon

Optional:

1T Tomato Powder

1/2C Turbinado Sugar (Sugar in the Raw)

Makes 3/4 to 1Cup Rub.

This stuff is HOT and full flavored with touch of Smokiness. Feel free to adjust the heat to your taste by playing with the amount of Chipotle and Cayenne Powder. All the ingredients except maybe the Tomato Powder is available at the Grocery Store. This stuff will also Kick Butt as the seasoning in a batch of Chili. 

Bubba Beef Rub

2T Turbinado Sugar

2T Kosher Salt

2T Black Peppercorns

1T Coriander Seed

1T Dry Minced Onion

1T Dry Minced Garlic

1tsp Allspice Berries

1tsp Mustard Seed

1tsp Dry Thyme Leaves

3 Bay Leaves, crumbled

1tsp Juniper Berries 

Add Cayenne if heat is desired.

All Spices are Whole and are toasted in a dry pan over Medium heat until fragrant. The Garlic and Onion do not need to be toasted.

Let the Spices cool then Grind in a cheapo Coffee Grinder until slightly less than Coarse. Mix with the Salt and Sugar. Store in an air tight container. Makes about a Half cup.

I like sweet rubs however I don't like sugar and garlic in my food anymore.

i came up with a very simple and easy recipe for pork, turkey and chicken

you can add more if needed.

6 tbs sage

4 tbs tyme

4 tbs rosemary

1 tbs fresh fine ground black pepper

2 tsp corse sea salt

opitional... small sprig of fresh basil (yumm on chops)

first add a nice layer of olive oil on meat then rub in spices

wrap tight and let set in fridge for 24 hrs

pull out and let meat come to room temp before cooking.

I hope you try this.. please let me know..

Last edited:
I really like Willie's Hog Dust.  Really nice on both ribs and shoulder for my taste.  I have found it difficult to top this so for $10.00 per 8.75 oz bottle it's not worth my time making it.  The below recipes have worked well for me in the past but I just can't justify the time to make them when Willie's is good.

Shoulder (this is from Alton Brown):

Brine:
8 ounces or 3/4 cup molasses
12 ounces pickling salt
2 quarts water

Rub:
1 teaspoon whole cumin seed (grind up)
1 teaspoon whole fennel seed (grind up)
1 teaspoon whole coriander (grind up)
1 tablespoon chili powder (I like a little more)
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon paprika (I like a little more)

Ribs:

2 tablespoons coarse salt (kosher or sea)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons dry mustard (preferably Colman's)
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon celery seed

Add chili powder or cyan pepper if you want some heat

Last edited:
New addition to VERY OLD post: Penzy's 33rd and Galena and BBQ 3000 are pretty good but are EXPENSIVE.  Bad Byron's and Sweat Heat are more in the ballaprk.  They're all are great rubs for pork butt and ribs.

Last edited:
so how do i get  jeff's rub...... i would like to try it?
Here is a link to purchase Jeff's rub.  You won't be sorry, no one ever is.

http://www.smoking-meat.com/jeffs-naked-rib-rub-recipe

Hope this helps.

I have used Jeff's but over time I have made adjustments until I have a completely different flavor profile.  And that's the beauty of rub recipes!  You play with them until they produce results that YOU like!!!!  BBQ is all about personal preference from start to finish.

Good luck

Bill

Last edited:
I've been using Alton Brown's "Ring of Fire" chicken recipe for a long time! Basically you brine your meat prior (if you don't, you'll need to add salt to this rub) and then use this rub:

1 tablespoon curry powder
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon adobo powder, without pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon hot smoked paprika

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...grilled-chicken-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback

It's awesome on chicken or pretty much anything else.

I just purchased Jeff's rub that I plan on using tonight on some smoked pork chops, I'll have a solid idea how it compares to Alton's.

Not a big fan of Chacheres - way too much salt for me. 

eek.gif
    I also smoke my ribs at 225 but they take 6 hours to finish instead of 3... 
You can also get it in w/o the salt, or at least you used to be able to. Comes in a white can instead of the traditional green if memory serves.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky