The Best Charcoal for Grilling (according to Food & Wine)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
that jealous devil and fogo is pretty expensive stuff. wow

that jealous devil and fogo is pretty expensive stuff. wow
Don't forget Amazon's "free shipping" should be interpreted as "no additional shipping charges".
They build the shipping cost into the items price.
Walmart prices for many of those are about half that of Amazons.

Reactions: flatbroke
Don't forget Amazon's "free shipping" should be interpreted as "no additional shipping charges".
They build the shipping cost into the items price.
Walmart prices for many of those are about half that of Amazons.
A lot of those you see high prices on are secondary sellers not Amazon. Generally when comparing items that have Amazon as the seller compared to Walmart as the seller are comparable. Both Amazon and Walmart have a ton of secondary vendors who’s pricing is insane. I’m all about the B&B lump. It’s $18.99 / 20 lbs at Ace Hardware and often on sale for a few bucks off that.

Best by far is this.
Costco has a sale on it every year, so stock up for the summer, it goes fast.
As to B+B, it's not even in the ballpark of best charcoal.

Attachments

• DSC00515.JPG
    DSC00515.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 27
Best by far is this.
Completely disagree on the B&B but curious as to why you don’t like it. I’ll add I’ve only used lump. It’s one of the few lumps in its price range in which I’ve not found scrap or tons of small useless pieces. I’ve used it for several years now.

Best by far is this.
stopped by Costco and got 4 more (2 packs) today. Think I have about 16 (2 packs) now. A few more and I will be set for rest of the year. Idk if it’s the best but I sure like it best out of the stuff I have tried.
IMG_3481.jpeg

I've been through several brands and have found Jealous Devil to be worth a premium. Kamado Joe Big Block is my 2nd choice, but doesn’t burn as quite hot or as long, IMO. I’ll shop prices and can usually find a sale in one or the other. I know that there are many Royal Oak fans, but every bag I’ve bought was full of pieces so small they fell through the charcoal grate and didn’t burn long or hot.

Reactions: jcam222
Naked Whiz.com does reviews on every charcoal out there. They test how much waste you get per bag, burn times, etc.

Reactions: jcam222
Tom Horsman does a comparison of B&B vrs Kingsford Pro

One difference I noted when I first started using B&B, is that when igniting in the chimney, B&B does not put out as much smoke nor is the smoke as white as Kingsford Blue Bag I'd been using. In this vid, it appears to me that the Kingsford Pro is also putting off a lot more smoke.

I also like the aroma of B&B.

Never seen BB competition flavor so I can't comment on that score, BUT the Kingsford pro is WAY better than the regular BB, which I find to be poorly made and crumbly plus not lasting as long as Kingsford.

With July 4th coming up, be looking out for BOGO's on Kingsford blue bag. For the money, it's still my go-to charcoal.

I use charcoal in two pretty different ways. For my Lang I use it to start a coal bed prior to switching to splits for the cook. Lately for that purpose I'll buy whatever is cheapest. Walmart had a lot of deals on B&B oak competition briquettes and Cowboy briquettes so I stocked up. For my charcoal grills I am 100% B&B lump charcoals , usually the oak. I would give Jealous Devil or FOGO a try but for the cost I'm completely satisfied with the B&B lump.

Reactions: 912smoker
I've found Kingsford burns slower and lasts longer than most Brands I have tried. Got some Jealous Devil Lump I haven't tried yet.

stopped by Costco and got 4 more (2 packs) today. Think I have about 16 (2 packs) now. A few more and I will be set for rest of the year. Idk if it’s the best but I sure like it best out of the stuff I have tried. View attachment 667736
I'm kinda jelly over that stack. Wish I could find it around me. Only the regular white bag around here.

Reactions: flatbroke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky