The BBQ Gun Thread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
40 years go we had a hard time getting 4F. We used it in mini replica cannons about the bore of a signal deck gun. Cannon BP sends out way too much hot and burning particles. Powder burn on my forehead took 20 years to clear up.
Being at rendezvous... the last thing ya want to hear is the guy loading the cannon/ mortar in the dark is " oh sh--!"
Last shot of the night, and last of the powder, an inch left in the barrel for packing... nobody yelled more powder after that one... they felt it!

Ryan

Being at rendezvous... the last thing ya want to hear is the guy loading the cannon/ mortar in the dark is " oh sh--!"
Last shot of the night, and last of the powder, an inch left in the barrel for packing... nobody yelled more powder after that one... they felt it!

Ryan
Not a rendezvous participant. I was a pirate. Sorry, but I think we were a bit smarter or maybe less drunken.
A 35mm film canister full of powder, a wad of toilet paper sabot, and a good tamping. The barrel burned clean with 4F.
True canons were wet swabbed after a shot to put out all the residual burning chunks of charcoal, salt petre, and sulfur before adding a fresh load of powder, sabot, and ball.

Not a rendezvous participant. I was a pirate. Sorry, but I think we were a bit smarter or maybe less drunken.
A 35mm film canister full of powder, a wad of toilet paper sabot, and a good tamping. The barrel burned clean with 4F.
True canons were wet swabbed after a shot to put out all the residual burning chunks of charcoal, salt petre, and sulfur before adding a fresh load of powder, sabot, and ball.
I can honestly claim plausible deniability! On all accounts! But in reality rendezvous are or were...well you know. As were pirates. Not talking modern day participation awards type stuff.

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: chilerelleno
So were you guys loading it when it blasted you? Holy crap!

1000002165.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Colin1230
Funny things about rendezvous... many got their camp names by certain things that happened. Father in law got the name " Short Fuse" , at a local small town celebration, they would fire the town Cannon off every so often. Being that they were having a hard time keeping people back and away at a safe distance they started using a shorter fuse. So the term " fire in the BOOM!" Yep, he has a name.
Luckily after over 30 years of going to rendezvous I'm still...

Ryan

Reactions: Colin1230
Never been to a rendezvous. I'm sure it's a hoot. I do enjoy getting dressed up 1880's for cowboy action matches. Especially when the weather is cooler. Not so much in the middle of July. Our club, the Powder Creek Cowboys, will be hosting the Kansas State Black Powder Championship match this year. Now that's going to be a hoot! Can't see the targets for all the smoke. :emoji_grimacing:

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky