The “Heavy D” Stick Burning Heat Diffuser or Big Kahuna Cold Smoke Generator

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I love the everything about the Rec Tec 590 but the smoke flavor. I used charcoal with wood over 30 years and guess that what I am use to. I did put the BBQ Guru on my WSM and it works great but want to get the pellet pooper better to my liking. I am looking at the following two options.

The “Heavy D” Stick Burning Heat Diffuser

https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/the-heavy-d-stick-burning-heat-diffuser/

and the The Big Kahuna Cold Smoke Generator .

Any thoughts about either?

Heavy D only works for hot smoking, but seems simple and low maintenance. Big K works hot or cold but there is A LOT of Creosote build up that requires frequent dismantling and cleaning...JJ

You can do the same thing the heavy D does a whole lot cheaper by just buying a small stainless steel food service container and drilling 6 3/8'' holes in the bottom of it. Then place wood chunks on top of your stock heat defuser then cover it with the SS pan.
1603314241891.png

It does the exact same thing for much less money.
Personally it didn't make enough difference for me I added 4 good size chunks and 2 lit charcoals chunks.
These pellet grills move way too much air you will never get that deep smokey flavor that you are looking for on a pellet pooper no matter what you do to it. The forced air is the downfall of these grills in my opinion. I just use my Camp Chef when I'm feeling lazy and don't feel like tending coals but these grills lack that deep smokey TX pit flavor big time. The best thing I have found to help with the smoke taste is by using 100% Lumberjack hickory pellets and adding a smoke tube with hickory pellets but it's still way lighter smoke flavor than I look for in smoked foods. It's just the nature of beast, these things are pellet grills not true smokers.

1 of our forum members tried a lot of different things to make the HD plate work and not sure he perfected it, he had a lot of ecess heat problems, pellet smokers burn very clean so the smoke is lighter, folks claim they are not smokers but I disagree , they burn 100% wood where as other real smokers may use charcoal along with wood for flavor, everybody has different taste buds and no 1 person is happy with every rig out there. Folks can kick any rig they want to, I love mine and it produces some great food, the wife cant take a lot of smoke these days so I get to use it more than some of my other smokers. I always tell folks to find somebody with a pellet smoker and get a few samples to try.

Where are you located? Happy to take that RT-590 off of your hands... you know... as a favor to help you out.

I love the everything about the Rec Tec 590 but the smoke flavor. I used charcoal with wood over 30 years and guess that what I am use to. I did put the BBQ Guru on my WSM and it works great but want to get the pellet pooper better to my liking. I am looking at the following two options.

The “Heavy D” Stick Burning Heat Diffuser

https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/the-heavy-d-stick-burning-heat-diffuser/

and the The Big Kahuna Cold Smoke Generator .

Any thoughts about either?

I’ve have and used the Smoke Daddy Wood burning heat diffuser, there Magnum P.I.G. Smoke Generator and the A-Maze-N Cold Smoking Pellet tube... In my honest opinion, the SD Wood Burning Heat Diffuser, is great as a heat diffuser, but very difficult to manage and control temps with while burning wood in it.. I only use it now as a heat diffuser. I was searching and researching for the best way to add true hardwood smoke flavor to a pellet grill... If that was possible... and It is... If you want to keep things simple and would be happy with just more pellet smoke, then I would first try the A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker Tube. The cost for the tube is not much and you’ll have the benefit from the increase in pellet smoke. I gave it a shot and while there was an increase in the smoke flavor profile, to me it wasn’t enough nor the same as true lump charcoal or hardwood smoke. I almost gave up and was going to go back to using a stick burner, but I saw the SmokeDaddy Magnum P.I.G. Cold Smoke Generator and said to myself... It looks promising, let’s give it a shot. It was the best investment I’ve made for my pellet smoker. It does involve some work to install it and it’s very important that you keep it clean for the best results. I posted a tread here about everything involved and I’ll add the link to it below along with a few more that have valuable info that’ll help you get started if you choose to go with the Big Kahuna or the Magnum P.I.G. If you want true hardwood smoke for your Rec Tec Pellet Grill, definitely give the SD Cold Smoke Generators a good look. The SD Smoke Generators are not cheap, so definitely do your reading and research so you’ll know all the benefits and how to properly operate it. Good luck.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...t-pro-pid-upgrade-for-my-pb-austin-xl.291288/

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... In SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Wife did not like smoke perfumed meat from my stick burner, that I really miss for the flavor, but not the baby sitting.
Even the Big Chief was too much for her taste.
Enter Masterbuilt pellet pooper and she is back on board. I use a smoke tube with the pooper. I've learned to get it placed proper so the gale forced draft doesn't burn out the pellets too fast.

Friend uses 2 smoke tubes in his poopers.

Also if you have a tube, line it with shag bark off of a hickory tree and pack the pellets down beside of it, pack it good so it don't flame out, that will give you a lot more flavor imo.

I was looking and seen some people using the tube with chips. Going to test this weekend. Maybe combine chips and pellets?

Yep combine but shag hickory bark mixed with pellets works the best imo

Well that's the tricky part, I am lucky as the tree's are in this area, if you don't have them where you live and ever get close to knoxville Tn you let me know a few weeks ahead of time and I will peal you some and throw it on my pellet smoker to make sure no bugs are in it. I use it when grilling also and it takes very little to flavor when doing that, shag bark hickory tree's have a broad range but unless you hunt or hike you might not see any, folks dont like the nuts falling in the yard and the mess they make when the squirrels eat them so most of the time they are cut out of yards.

1 of our forum members tried a lot of different things to make the HD plate work and not sure he perfected it, he had a lot of ecess heat problems, pellet smokers burn very clean so the smoke is lighter, folks claim they are not smokers but I disagree , they burn 100% wood where as other real smokers may use charcoal along with wood for flavor, everybody has different taste buds and no 1 person is happy with every rig out there. Folks can kick any rig they want to, I love mine and it produces some great food, the wife cant take a lot of smoke these days so I get to use it more than some of my other smokers. I always tell folks to find somebody with a pellet smoker and get a few samples to try.

I have had experience with the Heavy D.

And I could not agree with forum member RC Alan more when he says:

“ ... In my honest opinion, the SD Wood Burning Heat Diffuser, is great as a heat diffuser, but very difficult to manage and control temps with while burning wood in it.. I only use it now as a heat diffuser. “

This is now how I use the Heavy D. I use it as a warp resistant diffuser only and make no attempt to burn wood in it any longer.

I tried wrapping wood in foil, soaking the wood first, you name it. I could not use it with wood in it and not have my temps get out of control.

The wood would ultimately ignite and burn out of control. With foil, well smoking and eating smoked foods is bad enough from a health standpoint to begin with.

None of this is particularly "good" for you.

However wrapping wood in foil in an attempt to keep it from combusting, and exposing the foil to high heat made me start to question how good of an idea is getting aluminum that hot and any fumes coming off that hot aluminum was from a health standpoint.

Not to mention that wrapping wood in aluminum foil and then putting it into the SDHD was minimally effective.

Some may have better luck with burning wood in it than I did.

After experimenting with both it and a smoke tube, I prefer a smoke tube to it.

A smoke tube in my RT590 loaded with good quality pellets such as A-Maze-N and running Lumberjack in the hopper, or even ground up to sawdust A Maze N or Lumberjack pellets packed into a smoke tube and lit, gives me smoke flavor very near or on par with smoke flavor that I obtain in my WSMs running a good quality lump charcoal such as Kamado Joe Big Block or Jealous Devil lump charcoal and hickory chunks or logs.

I have not tried bark. But I have run pellets through the blender and packed them tight in my A Maze N smoke tubes. I use either a 12 or a telescoping 18 in. I’ve had trouble keeping wood chips lit.

With the pellet dust you have to make sure that it is well lit and that the tube is well ventilated inside your smoker.

But the sawdust burns long and slow and gives a great smoke flavor.

The original poster mentions a WSM with a BBQ Guru. The below is a picture of my WSM with BBQ Guru Cyber Q setup.

I run two fans with it and burn the fuel that I describe above. Though in the pics I'm using Royal Oak lump.
Caq6q1G.jpg

I set up my wood and coals as demonstrated below.

Using the smoke tube in my RT590 as I describe above, gets me to a point to where it is difficult, if not impossible for me to distinguish the difference between food cooked on my RT590 and my WSM.

I feel that the key to using the A Maze N smoke tube, is to use good quality pellets in it, if not outright pellet dust. The dust burns longer and the food is thus exposed to this supplemental smoke for a longer period of time.

PGzwNj5.jpg
lv2DDF6.jpg
CzU8fH7.jpg

Last edited:
I'd certainly try a tube or different pellets first. The Heavy D looks like a huge pain. I would not want to take everything out, add wood then put grates etc back in. You can also cold smoke with a tray or tube.

Last edited:
I am going to try the tube mixed with pellets and chips. I have used WSM's since they been making them. Such a great smoker and will stay in the line up.

Well that's the tricky part, I am lucky as the tree's are in this area, if you don't have them where you live and ever get close to knoxville Tn you let me know a few weeks ahead of time and I will peal you some and throw it on my pellet smoker to make sure no bugs are in it. I use it when grilling also and it takes very little to flavor when doing that, shag bark hickory tree's have a broad range but unless you hunt or hike you might not see any, folks dont like the nuts falling in the yard and the mess they make when the squirrels eat them so most of the time they are cut out of yards.
Didn't realize hickory was as 'dirty' as my oak trees. I've disposed of many squirrels

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky