What is the best way to fill a big smoking chamber with cold smoke off grid?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Simi Kay

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 2, 2023
Czech Republic
Hi everyone, I am new here at the forum. Can anyone tell me the easiest way to make a lot of cold smoke off grid? I have a 150"x60"x60" smokehouse, and a little closed firepit beside it to make the cold smoke. With woodshavings of various sizes I have tried to make it work, but I still have some problems, because the sawdust either starts going into flames, or it doesn´t keep on smoking. I have tried the smoke tubes and the spirals, it just does not make enough smoke, (maybe I can make a big one).

Welcome to the forum.

What products are you wanting to smoke? Do you have pictures of your set up?

Have you looked at A-maze-n smokers or something like them? They burn pellets and while it may take more than one to do your space they are easy.
Amazon, Home Depot and many other places sell them

Reactions: jcam222
Welcome to the forum.

What products are you wanting to smoke? Do you have pictures of your set up?
I cold-smoke country hams, salami, and charcuterie, and I want a deep heavy smoke. I have some pictures here:

Attachments

• IMG_20230403_085247.jpg
    IMG_20230403_085247.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20230403_085247_1.jpg
    IMG_20230403_085247_1.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20230403_085305.jpg
    IMG_20230403_085305.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20230403_085335.jpg
    IMG_20230403_085335.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20230403_085423.jpg
    IMG_20230403_085423.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 22
Have you looked at A-maze-n smokers or something like them? They burn pellets and while it may take more than one to do your space they are easy.
Amazon, Home Depot and many other places sell them
I want to do it off-grid, and those smokers either make too little smoke or run on electricity...

I'm not an expert, the only thing I've cold smoked is cheese in my Weber. But here are some ideas anyway. IMO it seems you'd want to start with a very small amount of high quality charcoal lit with a charcoal chimney. The advantage is it will burn for a period of time and not go out while at the same time create as little heat as possible. When it's lit and grey, have your wood chips or chunks in the firebox, dump the charcoal on top of the wood, place some more wood on top, creating plenty of wood smoke. You might consider wood-infused charcoal such as what Kingsford sells. Next lead the chimney, stack, or exhaust pipe/hose to the smoke chamber but make it as long as possible. The walls should be thin but don't use galvanized. The length of the pipe will allow the ambient air to cool the temp of the pipe and the heat/smoke before it reaches the smoke chamber. So the longer the better. Consider placing the food below the location of the pipe so that it's at the coolest area of the smoke chamber. Consider having the pipe enter up top and exhaust at or near the bottom. Keep the damper on the smoke chamber exhaust no larger than the air intake damper on the firebox. Check the fire box often, refill as needed. Good luck.

I want to do it off-grid, and those smokers either make too little smoke or run on electricity...
An a-maze-n smoker does not require any electric. I said you may need more than one I have a 4'x4'x8' smokehouse and run two of them in it which is almost to much smoke

Reactions: gmc2003
I'm not an expert, the only thing I've cold smoked is cheese in my Weber. But here are some ideas anyway. IMO it seems you'd want to start with a very small amount of high quality charcoal lit with a charcoal chimney. The advantage is it will burn for a period of time and not go out while at the same time create as little heat as possible. When it's lit and grey, have your wood chips or chunks in the firebox, dump the charcoal on top of the wood, place some more wood on top, creating plenty of wood smoke. You might consider wood-infused charcoal such as what Kingsford sells. Next lead the chimney, stack, or exhaust pipe/hose to the smoke chamber but make it as long as possible. The walls should be thin but don't use galvanized. The length of the pipe will allow the ambient air to cool the temp of the pipe and the heat/smoke before it reaches the smoke chamber. So the longer the better. Consider placing the food below the location of the pipe so that it's at the coolest area of the smoke chamber. Consider having the pipe enter up top and exhaust at or near the bottom. Keep the damper on the smoke chamber exhaust no larger than the air intake damper on the firebox. Check the fire box often, refill as needed. Good luck.
That is some genius advice, thanks for your help! I will be trying that.

Reactions: Marknmd
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky