That is a big Fattie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Sorry about title , just can't help myself, ( better than i just smoked a big fattie )
To start i have been wanting to do this after seeing them on the form here. Than reading Chris's gmc2003 gmc2003 instructions. So i did what i thought would be good, and it was but it was too big and took a little too long in the smoker. 4 1/2 hours. should have had the temp up a little higher to start.
- 3 lb Med. ground beef with blend of my rib rub, and Lowers seasoning salt
- filling: onions, celery, gr. peppers, corn and dried cranberries sautéed, 2 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese all mixed together
- 1 pound good bacon in basket weave.
Mixed meat and spice , flattened out in bag than onto plastic . Put on filling : stayed away for edges. Rolled up , worked out nice
Placed in fridge while I did up the bacon in the weave. put the very big and heavy Fattie onto the weave and rolled again.
Lightly covered with my blend of spice , took it out to the shed to smoke, there i go again just sounds weird.
Smoker on at 250 deg. with apple wood for 2 hours
after 2 hours only iT at 110 deg, so put smoker up to 350 deg
came out better iT at 163 deg
So i should have had the temp up to maybe 300 from the start .
But all is well that ends well , and like i say Mona was happy , and did not seem to mind that supper was 2 hours late
Now the picture process

filling , before the mix of the cheese and dried cranberries, and the bacon weave The Big Fattie
DSC_2344.JPG
DSC_2345.JPG
DSC_2346.JPG

Spiced up and off to the Smokers Shack

DSC_2347.JPG
DSC_2348.JPG
DSC_2349.JPG

Final half hour in the heat , than tried to let it rest , but it was a long wait and some darting looks from the far end of the kitchen, so i sliced it and platted it up

Mashed potatoes corn and my Mustard pickles and of coarse brown gravy

DSC_2350.JPG
DSC_2352.JPG
DSC_2353.JPG

Thanks for looking , and thanks for all the great info on how to smoke my first BIG Fattie

David

Great Job on that fatty Dave!!! That thing is huge.

Point for sure
Chris

Great Job on that fatty Dave!!! That thing is huge.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris for the like and the comment
Yes it was a big brut, I should have made 2 , or maybe little less filling. But it was good to make it and tasted good. I will do this again Thanks for the help

David

Beautiful fattie and perfect bacon weave!
I've seen those darting looks.....
Thanks smokeymose for the like and the comment
It was fun to make and the basket weave was much easier to make than i thought, once i started
And the darting looks i thought were just looks of endearment .....wrong LOL

Thanks
David

That's Really a Beauty, David!!!
Nice Job!!
Like.

Bear
Thanks Bear for the like and the comments. I should have made 2 out of the amount of meat i had .....hind sight , easy to look back
But it was great and fun to do , my list of cooks does not seem to be getting smaller but im knocking them off little at a time, and a fun process

David

Reactions: Bearcarver
Not a big fan of cranberries, but everything else looks awesome!!!!
Al
Thanks Al for the like and the comment, i never was a big fan of them either, but these ones are sweetened, so not so tart. I just through them in in the last minute. Did not add much so it did not over power the fattie at all

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky