Thanksgiving Turkey smoke and a guest with allergies...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

akeisler

Original poster
Mar 14, 2015
Ok guys, I have about 25 people coming for early Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday. I am planning on smoking a 15 pound statched turkey and another turkey breast.

Here's my problem. I have a guest coming that is allergic to garlic, onion, and dairy. My plan was to make a rub for the breast using maybe some S&P and some herbs like thyme, rosemary, etc and some EVOO.

Wanted to see if anyone had any recipes for rubs that didn't use garlic, onion, or dairy.

Thanks!

This is always a tough call for me. Do I sacrifice the spice for 24 people over the one who cant have it, or offend the one who can't have it by using it? I would just throw on a chicken breast towards the end of the smoke with what she can have and she will think you went out of your way to accommodate her, yet you can still smoke as you always do for the rest of your guests. We spend a lot of time customizing our processes to give the best results, so shouldn't the majority of our guests reap those benefits?

Barry.

I am planning on doing the 15lb turkey like I normally would, so the majority of the guests will have normal turkey. I also have a 9 pound spiral ham, so I think I have plenty of meat.

I bought a smaller bone in turkey breast specifically to try to do something to include the guest with allergies, and kinda hoping I might stumble across a great tasting turkey breast. :-)

I think you will be fine without the garlic and onion. Especially using the herbs. I did turkey breast a little while back with just S&P and it was great. 

Just a follow up, I mixed olive oil, salt, pepper, Rosemary, thyme, and basil. Let it sit overnight in a container. The next day, I rubbed the whole turkey breast with the mixture under and on top of the skin.

I put it in a big ziplock and let it sit in the fridge overnight. The next morning, I seasoned the outside real good with salt and pepper and smoked it with hickory chips. It turned out great!

I didn't take any pictures of the turkey breast, but here's a pic of the whole turkey that had butter and herb rub.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky