THANKSGIVING SIDE ITEMS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If time becomes an issue (plus I like it anyhow) then smoked mac n cheese is my vote lol :)

Reactions: Sowsage
Bacon Wrapped Poblanos Stuffed with Cheesy Rice, those were killer!
Maybe make it like a casserole without the bacon wrap, bacon in the rice and topped with a queso sauce.

Roasted tomatoes, scoop them out and fill with mushroom/pancetta risotto.
Pack them into a casserole dish with fresh basil and a little thin tomato sauce.
Top with some Parmesan reggiano.

Last edited:
Wow, lots of good suggestions on here... Love the smoked mac n cheese or the pork biscuit bomb ideas...

We always spend a few days together at my sister in laws place. The refrigerator is always stuffed with food. I make a smoked bologna chub. It just disappears over the Thanksgiving weekend. Its so simple to make.
Take the wrap / casing off the chub. Cut spiral slice about 3/8" deep. Rub with mustard and then your favorite BBQ rub. Smoke for about 3-4 hours.

Enjoy!
RG
2018-03-15 15.15.47.jpg

Someone has a potatoes dish already covered. Honestly i was disappointed because the hasselback Au Gratin potatoes you did was the first potatoe dish that came to mind!
Maybe you can have two potato dishes. Why not? Gobble till you wobble! I'm making two different kinds of stuffing. Anywho, some other ideas are wild rice and mushrooms, stuffed mushrooms, or squash casserole.
Here's one recipe I've used, (but it will turn to mush if you let it "keep warm" in a crock pot for too long), https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/wild-rice-mushroom-bake/

Bacon Wrapped Poblanos Stuffed with Cheesy Rice, those were killer!
Make it like a casserole without the bacon, with a queso sauce.

Roasted tomatoes, scoop them out and fill with mushroom/bacon risotto.
Pack them into a casserole dish with fresh basil and a little thin tomato sauce.
Maybe you can have two potato dishes. Why not? Gobble till you wobble! I'm making two different kinds of stuffing. Anywho, some other ideas are wild rice and mushrooms, stuffed mushrooms, or squash casserole.
Here's one recipe I've used, (but it will turn to mush if you let it "keep warm" in a crock pot for too long), https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/wild-rice-mushroom-bake/
Yea maybe your right! Nothing wrong with lots of taters! And it is Thanksgiving so who cares how stuffed you get!

Reactions: KrisUpInSmoke
I do my veggies in the smoker UNDER the turkey. Big pan, filled with onions, two bulbs of garlic cloves, carrots, russets, Yukon golds, and sweet potatoes. Sprinkle with rub used on the turkey, then dump about a half bottle of cheap white wine or rose' in the veggies. The pan collects the drippings and the veggies caramelize and roast nicely. If you cut the potatoes no bigger than about a inch to an inch and a half thick, they'll finish at the same time as the turkey.

Scoop out the veggies, make gravy out of the liquid/drippings left in the pan, and serve. Listen to the OMGs around the table as people take a bite.
006.jpeg

I do my veggies in the smoker UNDER the turkey. Big pan, filled with onions, two bulbs of garlic cloves, carrots, russets, Yukon golds, and sweet potatoes. Sprinkle with rub used on the turkey, then dump about a half bottle of cheap white wine or rose' in the veggies. The pan collects the drippings and the veggies caramelize and roast nicely. If you cut the potatoes no bigger than about a inch to an inch and a half thick, they'll finish at the same time as the turkey.

Scoop out the veggies, make gravy out of the liquid/drippings left in the pan, and serve. Listen to the OMGs around the table as people take a bite.
View attachment 411715
There is nothing better than roasted root vegetables in poultry drippings! And then to make a gravy with the liquid! Yes! This is kinda how i do chicken leg quarters. I like to include parsnips and sweet potato in the veggies. Those are beautiful veggies!

This beats the usually Canned Yams with Marshmallow Topping, any day...JJ

Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Crumble

3Lb Sweet Potatoes
1/2C Brown Sugar
1/4C Maple Syrup
1/2C Melted Butter
2ea Eggs
1/4C Heavy Cream
1tsp Vanilla
1/2tsp Cinnamon
1/2tsp Nutmeg
1" Fresh Ginger, grated

Topping
1C Brown Sugar
1C Flour
1/2C Melted Butter
1/2C Chopped Pecans
1 1/2tsp Cinnamon
1" Fresh Ginger, grated

Bake sweet potatoes at 425°F until soft, 1 to 1.5 hours.
Cool 30 minutes on the counter. Peel and mash lightly.
Mix all filling ingredients and spread in a buttered 1 1/2 Qt baking dish.
Combine Topping ingredients in a bowl and toss with a fork until Pea sized crumbs form.
Top the potatoes and bake a 350°F for 30 minutes. This is good hot or cold.

Some of my favorite Apps...

Escargot in Mushroom Caps

The Mushroom Caps.

Lightly salt & pepper 24 Mushroom caps and roast at 400 until lightly brown and shrunk to about half size, 30-45 minutes. They will render their water and firm up. Remove from oven and allow to cool on the counter. Meanwhile, open the cans of Snails, 24 Extra Large. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain well and pat dry on paper towels.

For each 2 dozen Snails, I have used Roland Brand in the past.
Pulse in a small food processor or blender until well combined:

1 Stick Softened Butter,
1 Shallot, chopped (a heaping Tablespoon)
8 Cloves of Garlic, chopped
4Tbs Chopped Fresh Flat Leaf Parsley
1tsp Fresh Thyme Leaves
1Tbs Wht Wine or Lemon Juice
1/2 tsp each Salt & Blk Pepper
Optional: 1tsp Chopped Fresh Tarragon Leaves (may be hard to find) and/or Cayenne Pepper to taste.
Arrange the Mushroom in a baking dish. Top each cap with a Snail and a dollop of Garlic Butter, about 2 teaspoons.
Bake at 400°F about 10 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Over cooking will toughen the Snails. Note: Double the Garlic Butter ingredients if you like to dip your giant loaf of Crusty Bread...YUM!!!
Makes 2 Supper servings or 4 Appetizers...JJ

Gingered Smoked Salmon Spread

1Lb Cream Cheese...Room Temp
1/2C Mayonnaise
1/4C Sour Cream
1Tbs Soy Sauce
1tsp Hot Sauce...Sriracha (Asian) or other
1/4tsp Black Pepper
1Lb Smoked Salmon...or other Smoked Fish, Flaked
1/4C Chopped Crystalized Ginger
1/4C Chopped Scallion

Process the first 6 ingredients until smooth...
For Fine Spread...add remaining and Pulse to desire consistency...
For Chunky Spread...Fold in remaining with a spatula...JJ

Reactions: KrisUpInSmoke
For the past 20 years, I have deferred cooking to the younger members of the family. That way they can build their own stories to tell some day..LOL BUT that being said, Gotta have turkey and dressing AND you should try this cranberry jello mold. It just Thanksgiving without it. Its easy, you can make it a week ahead, You don't need a mold, just make it in a pyrex casserole pan or nearly anything else. This is outstanding!

Other than that the family finally settled down to just having whatever is fresh. Generally Broccoli, Cauliflower, cabbage, Greens and lots of pickles, canned fruits etc.... Spiced peaches! Oh and pies! Sweet Potato, Pecan, Pineapple cream, etc etc...

Foam's Cranberry Jello
Ingredients

2 pkgscranberry jello (or black cherry or cherry)
2 cupshot water
1/4 cupcelery minced
1/4 cupchopped nuts
1/4 cupminced apple
1 canoceanspray whole cranberry sauce
1 1/2 cupcold water
Directions:

Dissolve Jello in hot water, then add cold water and chill to near set.
Add everything else and pour into a mold
Chill overnight.
You’ll throw rocks at cranberry sauce from then on.

For the past 20 years, I have deferred cooking to the younger members of the family. That way they can build their own stories to tell some day..LOL BUT that being said, Gotta have turkey and dressing AND you should try this cranberry jello mold. It just Thanksgiving without it. Its easy, you can make it a week ahead, You don't need a mold, just make it in a pyrex casserole pan or nearly anything else. This is outstanding!

Other than that the family finally settled down to just having whatever is fresh. Generally Broccoli, Cauliflower, cabbage, Greens and lots of pickles, canned fruits etc.... Spiced peaches! Oh and pies! Sweet Potato, Pecan, Pineapple cream, etc etc...

Foam's Cranberry Jello
Ingredients

2 pkgscranberry jello (or black cherry or cherry)
2 cupshot water
1/4 cupcelery minced
1/4 cupchopped nuts
1/4 cupminced apple
1 canoceanspray whole cranberry sauce
1 1/2 cupcold water
Directions:

Dissolve Jello in hot water, then add cold water and chill to near set.
Add everything else and pour into a mold
Chill overnight.
You’ll throw rocks at cranberry sauce from then on.
foamheart foamheart what kind of apple? A tart one or a sweet eating one? Or does it matter? This sounds pretty good!

foamheart foamheart what kind of apple? A tart one or a sweet eating one? Or does it matter? This sounds pretty good!

I like honey crisp, but any apple will do. Honey Crisp is just my favourite. Remember mince is very small chopped, the same with the celery, if they are not chopped small they are a hard bite. You need just a little crunch.

I like honey crisp, but any apple will do. Honey Crisp is just my favourite. Remember mince is very small chopped, the same with the celery, if they are not chopped small they are a hard bite. You need just a little crunch.
Thanks we like the honey crisp! Thats a real good eating apple. Thanks again for posting this, definitely worth giving a try!

I'm usually do a winter root bake. I usually cube rutabaga, turnip, parsnip, carrot, kohlrabi and a winter squash or 2 and let them sit in Italian seasoning and olive oil for a couple days, then bake.

Porcupine meatballs - I use a spicy Italian sausage rolled with uncooked rice. Brown them in a deep skillet then pour in chicken stock and cover till done (about 30 min).

Bourbon pecan pie, ho-made pumpkin pie or a cheesecake. Sometimes I'll make them as bites in a mini muffin pan.

My favorite is a big ole Sweet Tater Casserole

See Above. I played with several recipes until I got this one. It's good hot, cold or warmed with a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream. Taste like a Crustless Sweet Potato Pie...JJ

Couple ideas for you.

Sweet potato soup and caramelized Brussels Sprouts.

First the soup.
Start off with sauteeing some celery, onions and carrots in a large saucepan til the veggies are soft but not browned. Salt and pepper liberally.

For about the last 3 minutes of the saute, toss in 2 chopped garlic cloves and about 5 chopped sage leaves. About a quarter teaspoon if using dried sage.

Then add a quarter teaspoon of Chinese 5 spice blend and stir around for half a minute or so until it gets fragrant.

Then take a large can, yes CAN, of sweet potatoes,and drain off the liquid and dump them in the pot, followed by a quart of chicken broth. Bring everything to a boil, then turn it off and blend with a stick blender, or a regular blender, or run it through a food mill.

For a more rustic soup, just mash the sweet potatoes and leave it on the chunky side. Garnish with sour cream, fried sage leaves and crispy bacon bits.

Now the sprouts.

Preheat your oven to 450f.

I started doing these because they take the same time/temp as my biscuits, so if you're making biscuits too, just put 'em in together.

Clean and halve as many sprouts as will cover the bottom of your cast iron skillet.

Coat the bottom of said skillet with olive oil. Give it a pretty good amount, olive oil is good for you and the sprouts need a good bit.

To the oil, add salt, pepper and garlic powder. i usually use about a tablespoon of kosher salt, and about half that of pepper and garlic powder.

Toss in the sprouts and toss them in the oil/salt/pepper/garlic mixture.

Then make sure to turn every sprout cut side down.

Roast at 450f for 17-20 minutes or until the cut sides are deeply browned.

Both of these travel and reheat well.

Prosciutto wrapped asparagus is a favorite around here.

Chris

I can vouch for Caramelized Brussels Sprouts, they're so good.
I do mine slightly different but the outcome is similar enough.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky