Thanksgiving Preparation: Maple Barbecue Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That looks delicious!! My stomach is growling for a bite!! Excellent post. I will make thanksgiving week.

As for the mop, I think I'll go for it. I use a gasser, so I'm thinking for cranking up the temp when I get close to my target IT.

What do you have in mind for the mop sauce in other recipes?

I would like to add some bourbon to it and use on chicken or how about some smoked bourbon BBQ beans? I'm also thinking it would work well with a breakfast style sausage ABT...maybe a lil mixed in with the cream cheese or brush on after wrapping in bacon? That's my idea

Looks like it turned out great! Nice smoke!

I can't say much on trussing the bird. I prefer to spatchcock poultry. It allows the bird to lay flat and they cook evenly. I can't remember the last time I didn't spatchcock a whole bird before cooking it.

That looks delicious!! My stomach is growling for a bite!! Excellent post. I will make thanksgiving week.

As for the mop, I think I'll go for it. I use a gasser, so I'm thinking for cranking up the temp when I get close to my target IT.

What do you have in mind for the mop sauce in other recipes?

I would like to add some bourbon to it and use on chicken or how about some smoked bourbon BBQ beans? I'm also thinking it would work well with a breakfast style sausage ABT...maybe a lil mixed in with the cream cheese or brush on after wrapping in bacon? That's my idea
Thanks! I'm thinking of mopping the entire thing, then maybe throwing it under the broiler for a few mins to give it a high-heat crisp (not sure if this will work or not).... unfortunately my half-mop method just made for awkward looking pictures.

I've never made a fattie before and was thinking about coating the outside with this. And ribs - I think doing a 3-2-1 rib method with this on the outside would be great. And ABT's as well, as you mentioned. I think I might give some ribs another try next...

Looks like it turned out great! Nice smoke!

I can't say much on trussing the bird. I prefer to spatchcock poultry. It allows the bird to lay flat and they cook evenly. I can't remember the last time I didn't spatchcock a whole bird before cooking it.
Thanks as well! I've never spatchcocked before. I've seen it done and watched YouTube videos on it... just never tried it myself. I think I might try it next.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky