Thanksgiving ham (Q-view)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bassplayer4

Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Lubbock, TX
Thank you to all who helped me during the process of smoking a ham, which incedently was my first attempt at smoking anything.  The advice on staying light with the mesquite saved the day. I used a light hand with the wood and smoke flavor was perfect for what I had envisioned.

It was a successful and an enjoyable yet semi-frustrating process. I began the smoke around 5am, just trying to get the smoke flowing and up to temp.  This was the frustrating part of my day, wind chill in the single digits.  Go figure a cold front would blow in that night.  I had an enormous amount of trouble getting the temp over 200, most of the time it stayed aroung 175-195. It stayed on for about 5 hrs with a good light smoke flowing, and I was able to finish the heating in the oven.

Here's the rub down the day before: 

Paprika, Dry mustard, Cloves, sugar, salt, and pepper.

86e37913_thanksgiving6.jpg

I basted about once an hr. with liquid containing Chicken stock, Pineapple juice, dry mustard, and a pinch of clove.

ac91a039_thanksgiving4.jpg

The last hr I brushed with a simple glaze containing honey, pineapple juice and a pinch of clove. Sorry, I don't have a picture of the finished product before it was torn to bits for serving, I also did the rest of the cooking for the day and kind of got caught up. It was extremely juicy with a nice bark and not overpowering smoke flavor.
6c1c7174_thanksgiving3.jpg

Also threw on a couple of pork tenderloin, they stayed on for about 2 1/2 hrs and I finished them on the grill.

b2d4890c_thanksgiving2.jpg
98b2ec18_thanksgiving5.jpg

icon_cool.gif

Now you have smoked a couple of great looking hunks of meat there. Now go smoke some more and more and more. then keep the Q-view coming.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky