Thai Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
For those that have never worked with fish sauce before here's a few tips. It is super pungent in its raw form. So much so that you will be thinking WTF am I doing, this is going to ruin my food. Once it's cooked it transforms more into a salty flavor and is nothing like it was. With that said, when mixing it, touching anything that has it on it I'd recommend gloves. The smell will linger on your skin after several washes. I'd also recommend using a plastic bag or stainless container for mixing as it will transfer the smell to plastic containers. The fact that I couldn't find the valve for my vacuum tumbler may have saved it from a super deep clean. So there us go that's the disclaimer for working with fish sauce! It's great stuff and is a great substitute for salt in many dishes.

All done! This stuff, sucks! NOT!

You get the tang from the fish sauce, and that peppery bite from the white pepper, and of course the smoke!

I could eat this whole batch! Which brings me to the final weight. Six pounds at the start, and I really don't care at the end! I'm not selling it and I started out with "x" amount of pieces and for some reason I am a few pieces

Job well done!

BEEF JERKY TIME
points.gif

Now I want Jerky, Case that is real nice color.I agree with the fish sauce,rubber gloves.

Here is a little trick I picked up years ago,if you touch something with a strong smell,wash your hands with any stainless spoon,colander even the sink will help remove the odor.

Richie

points.gif

Now I want Jerky, Case that is real nice color.I agree with the fish sauce,rubber gloves.
Here is a little trick I picked up years ago,if you touch something with a strong smell,wash your hands with any stainless spoon,colander even the sink will help remove the odor.
Richie

:points:  

Thanks Richie!

Good tip on the stainless!

Seems simple enough. The only downfall is my 40" propane won't smoke that low temp wise, and I am still not confident enough to use cure.

th_anim_burp.gif
 or 
cheers.gif
 with your mrs gone,,,,,, I will say I am going to have to do a batch of Jerky now 

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

DS 

Seems simple enough. The only downfall is my 40" propane won't smoke that low temp wise, and I am still not confident enough to use cure.

A needle valve should solve your low temp problems.

As for the cure it's all about knowing how much to add. For cure #1 it's 1 tsp per 5 pounds of meat. Cure at a rate of 1/4" of meat thickness per day.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky