Texas Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That's the Chorizo Argentino from Marianski's site . I used all pork and skipped the wine .
It's good sausage .
I did that on my pellet grill . I mix it up , stuff , then freeze . Thaw and cook when I want to use it .
That comes out way better for me than smoking first , then freezing .
Nice!!!
My pork franks are always stuffed, linked, cut, and vac sealed. This way I can smoke or grill em. 99% of the time it's straight on the grill fresh style and they are soooooo good!

Reactions: kevinwi and chopsaw
Just want to thank everyone for your input... extremely helpful.
I knew Texas had heavy German communities in parts....I didn't realize Czech cuisine was really what I was eating and not local Texan cuisine....I guess We're all transplants from Europe.

Just want to thank everyone for your input... extremely helpful.
I knew Texas had heavy German communities in parts....I didn't realize Czech cuisine was really what I was eating and not local Texan cuisine....I guess We're all transplants from Europe.
I am of the opinion most "texas sausage" is essentially just an amped up euro sausage like klobase or kielbasa. Pretty simple formula but has more beef and extra BP and maybe a little red/cayenne. Not too far from here is a few euro area (Polish/German/Slav) and pretty much any sausage I;ve had reminds me of the stuff I had in Texas, but obviously I have not tried them all.

Red pill?
https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/what-is-a-czech-sausage/

I am of the opinion most "texas sausage" is essentially just an amped up euro sausage like klobase or kielbasa. Pretty simple formula but has more beef and extra BP and maybe a little red/cayenne. Not too far from here is a few euro area (Polish/German/Slav) and pretty much any sausage I;ve had reminds me of the stuff I had in Texas, but obviously I have not tried them all.

Red pill?
Thanks...unfortunately it's a subscription article.

Does BP stand for beef pork?

Black pepper. Most Central Texas sausage is usually beef/pork, salt, black pepper, and cayenne. Supposedly, it's German in origin. Czech sausage is going to have garlic. About 30 miles south of me is an old German settlement and their "German sausage" adds some sage and seems to be mostly pork. It's really good stuff, though. A lot of this sausage is the same with minor variations on which herbs/seasonings are pronounced or not.

Reactions: kevinwi and zwiller

Red pill?
Good article!
Yeah I would venture to say that Texas sausage is an amped up Euro sausage like you mention.
There's some specific twists and turns to make it quite a bit different but isn't that how it goes with cooking.

Like if you have tomato, oregano, garlic, beef, etc. you have a spaghetti style sauce but you add cumin and/or some chili powder and you have chili or even a Mexican or Tex/Mex style dish now going. 1 or 2 changes and it's a whole new thing lol.

My Texas style hot links are definitely of Czech influence. I use Fennel in it but I'm pretty sure the original ones I used to have as a kid used Caraway now that I think of it.
I guess they are similar enough in the small small quantities I'm adding.
I may have to do a run using Caraway instead of Fennel. Anise was too strong so I went down to fennel.

I do agree with that coarse grind on the Czech style sausages, sooooo good! Probably why I am never really satisfied with how smooth my sausage comes out after mixing in spices before stuffing. I'm always thinking "man I wish this was like the less mushy and less fine texture of the sausages I used to get as a kid" lol.

It's a fun rabbit hole to go down but don't expect any of those Czech guys to reveal too much about their recipes. I've tried and I honestly get worried that their recipes and wonderful food will be lost to time if their kids or grand kids are not making it. I would gladly love to keep the recipe and tradition alive. Even if I'm not part of the family, I still have great respect and appreciation for the food and do not want to see it disappear from the planet :D

I think Tejas style used to be a lot simpler. I haven't been in a long time, but the times I've been (and lived there briefly) I ate more than my fair share.

I see recipes calling for everything from soup to nuts, and that's ok, but I remember a little hole in the wall Q place (not one in particular, but in general) that would sell a plate of brisket, sausage, and Wonder Bread with maybe another carb and the sausage was always simple. Beefy, peppery, maybe some mustard seeds and a dash of garlic. Now, to be fair, they were almost always full of Latinos including the pitmasters.... Not a Czech in sight ;)

Now in the last 20 years with the explosion of Food TV and FLAVORTOWN NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK and the famous places all divulging little pieces of their secret array of herbs and spices, it's just more than what it once was. But - as I've said many a time on here, I'm a purist. Beef tastes mighty good with just salt, pepper, and smoke. Pork is another ballgame. I throw lots of herbs and spices at it lol.

I've got some beef links drying right now - and it's mighty simple. I hope it tastes at least somewhat like I remember.

Got a chance to read the article (my desktop has popup blocker that the phone does not)...good article...no secrets revealed.....
However I did find a company that makes sausage commercially that is about as close as you can get to Czech/Texas style sausage.....going to buy a small amount to try...if I like it, I'll have a source for my side gigs.

Got a chance to read the article (my desktop has popup blocker that the phone does not)...good article...no secrets revealed.....
However I did find a company that makes sausage commercially that is about as close as you can get to Czech/Texas style sausage.....going to buy a small amount to try...if I like it, I'll have a source for my side gigs.
Nice! Please report back on how it is :D

Reactions: kevinwi

Red pill?
Very good Sam and love the link.

I placed an order from Slovacek's and V&V. Both old school Czech sausage makers. V&V appears to have a better small commercial shipping availability. Slovacek's appears to be a more local favorite, but way more expensive shipping.
I ordered 10 lbs from each....
I will report back when I cook and sample each. It's been a LONG time since I've had the good Texas Sausage...but I'll know it when I taste it.

Well.....30 lbs of Czech Texas Style sausage arrived at my door today from both Slovaceks and V&V.
Ben Lang also called to let me know my new smoker is on the truck and on the way here.....looks like Brisket and Sausage for Easter is on the menu! I'll let you know how it turns out!!
1000002116.jpg
1000002117.jpg

Well.....30 lbs of Czech Texas Style sausage arrived at my door today from both Slovaceks and V&V.
Ben Lang also called to let me know my new smoker is on the truck and on the way here.....looks like Brisket and Sausage for Easter is on the menu! I'll let you know how it turns out!!View attachment 692826View attachment 692827
Looking forward to the taste test report :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky