Texas Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

danbono

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 19, 2012
North New Jersey Paramus
Hi All I was thinking of smoking some Texas Beef Sausage. I need a recipe this NOT too hot. Also how to go about smoking them? I have a stick burner * and a WSM 22"

This is with Pork but can't see why some good Fatty Beef would not work. Maybe a Blend?. Cut rhe Red Pepper and Cayenne down to 1-2 teaspoons as these recipes are HOT! The second one is similar but with more Herbs and Spices. Follow Gary's Recipe for Cure #1 and Salt, if not using TQ as in Bigwheel's Recipe...JJ

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/hot-links-texas-style.184043/

Bigwheel's Genuine Texas Hotlinks (Revised 11/21/02)

6-7 lbs. Boston Butt
1 bottle beer (Try Shiner Bock)
2 T. coarse ground black pepper
2 T. crushed red pepper
2 T. Cayenne
2 T. Hungarian Paprika
1 T. Morton's Tender Quick
2 T. Kosher Salt
2 T. Whole Mustard Seeds
1/4 cup minced fresh garlic
1 T. granulated garlic
1 T. MSG
1 t. ground bay leaves
1 t. whole anise seeds
1 t. coriander
1 t. ground thyme

Mix all the spices, cure, and garlic into the beer and place in refrigerator while you cut up the meat to fit in the grinder. Pour the spiced beer over the meat and mix well. Run meat and spice mixture through the fine plate and mix again. Stuff into medium hog casings. Smoke or slow grill till they are done. Wrap in a piece of bread and slap on the mustard heavy. Bob Wills music and Lone Star Beer on the side.

bigwheel

Have you made this before without MSG? Not a question about health concerns. I just don't have any.

Danbono -- if you like to use the search feature on this site, you can look up "Elgin" and "Bohunk" and you will find some info on central texas beef sausage from the germans and czechs down that way.

This link is pretty good to get you started, and page two is where you can see likely formulas for you to consider. Enjoy!

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/wants-elgin-sausage-recipe.50330/

There is polish American center ok n mission rd in san Antonio...once a year they have a sausage plate sale .....Panna Maria ... Koceusko..... Falls city.. and Poth Tx are all polish settled cities...they are out US Hwy 181 south ...there is a meat market in

Pick up some already Smoked Chipotles or Moritas, ripe dried Jalapenos, and grind them into a powder. Mix with salt and Boom...Smoked Jalapeno Salt!...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky