Texas Poutine! #SorryNotSorry

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
giphy.gif

:emoji_metal:

Reactions: xray
Man that looks goooooood! Awesome concept! I love it!

Thanks! Truth be told... just "regular" poutine is darn good eating too! But this was a fun and delicious twist!

Looks awesome! Great idea and another great Brisket meal. That Brisket looks perfectly cooked. Enjoy and thanks for sharing.

Appreciate it! I think I'm getting the hang of using the Alto Shaam and really nailing down the briskets.

Team Ramrod!

That is some fine looking grub Zach! Montreal may adopt you as a native son if you’re not careful!

This has me thinking about a Reuben Poutine. Fries covered in pastrami, sauerkraut, cheese curds and gravy!!

The running joke with friends here in Austin area is that anything on the North side is "Canada". So I guess it's fitting :emoji_laughing:

Reuben Poutine sounds phenomenal! So many options and amazing sounding ideas! Jump on it!

I never heard of a poutine Zach, and after reading this I still don't know what one is. I do know I like that brisket, nice job! RAY

Thanks Ray! Poutine is more or less Gravy covered french fries and cheese curds. Originated in Quebec iirc. It's an interesting sounding combo that is quite delicious!

I love that you may have just perfected the national dish of Canada. This looks amazing.

Not sure I'd go that far :emoji_sweat_smile: but I appreciate the sentiment!

Great idea! Fresh Fries and Gravy are a Food Group by themselves. Add all the Goodies, you have a Feast!...JJ

It's another one of those "why did I wait so long to try this" meals! I mean it always sounded and looked great. Glad I took the plunge. And now I am singing from the rooftops haha.

I've had that before in of all places a roadside eatery in Maine. It was out of this world fantastic. And Zach, your meal is nothing short of outstanding sir!

That combo does sound really great! and thank you Steve!

That color is screaming 🔥🔥🔥🔥

Thanks! A lot went right with this cook for sure. Really happy with all facets. other than it's all gone now :emoji_sweat_smile: time for another cook though!

Dang brother!
That looks amazing!
Al

Thanks Al! Appreciate it.

Man that is a beautiful Plate of food!! I did business in Canada 5 days a week for 7 years. I love a lot of things about Canada but poutine may just be the finest thing created in Canada.
Thanks Jcam! Someday I'll venture North and have some locally. lots of traveling and eating to do on this rock!

Texas Poutine!

View attachment 458218

A week or so ago my cousin had sent me a pic of some Pulled Pork Poutine that he made and of course I wanted some... I had a pork butt that I had just thawed out too, so all was aligning! Once I split the pork cryovac though, there was an noticeable odor to it. Luckily I had a brisket thawed and ready to roll so I pivoted to that and decided to put a fun twist on classic poutine.

I went out and started up the Pitts & Spitts and lit the Amaze-N-Torch! :emoji_grin:

Pecan pellets in the hopper and in the smoke tube. I ran the pit at 180°F for the first few hours, then set at 225°F before bed. After wrapping I went to 250°F to finish it off.

View attachment 458207

I Made up some of my usual spritz of ACV, Wooster, and Water. Plus a Jack and Coke for the cook...

View attachment 458208

Brisket on for a few hours and getting that color!

View attachment 458209

Woke up to this sight and knew the day was gonna be good.

View attachment 458210

About an hour later (11 hours total) it got wrapped in butcher paper with some of the spritz. Internal was around 165°F ish iirc...

View attachment 458212

I started probing around 195°F for tenderness and think it felt right about 198°F-200°F so I pulled and tossed it into the Alto Shaam at 155°F for a few hours

View attachment 458211

This turned out to be one of the better briskets I've done recently. I think a lot had to do with some extra render time in the holding cabinet. Flat moisture was really good. Texture was soft but just held together.

View attachment 458213

I sliced some, chopped some, and cubed some point for the poutine.

View attachment 458214

I collected all the drippings and goodness from the paper and the pan to use in the upcoming gravy.

For the Gravy I did the following:

4 Tbsp Butter
4 Tbsp Flour
1/2 Sweet Onion Grated
24 oz Bone Broth
6 oz ish drippings
2 Tbsp BBQ Rub

View attachment 458216

Next up I grabbed a couple jalapenos from the plant out back and made up some quick pickled jalapenos. I used this recipe here.

Ingredients:
10 large jalapeno peppers, sliced
3 tbsp sugar (I like these kind of sweet, so use less or no sugar if you don’t)
3/4 cup white distilled vinegar
3/4 cup water
1 tbsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp oregano
1 clove garlic

I scaled this back a lot since I had only a couple small jalapenos.

View attachment 458215

Luckily the store had some cheese Curds. Only 1 bag left. that would've thrown a wrench into the plans haha.

View attachment 458217

For the Fries I went with some Red Robin Steak Fries. Next time I'll have to make my own...

And final pic again

View attachment 458218

and before @tx smoker and @Brokenhandle jump on me... I went sparingly on the gravy for the pic but I promise I made y'all proud with what I added afterwards.

Final Thoughts:

This was a really good meal. I was super happy with the brisket by itself, but the end result made me really happy. The Gravy was amazing and I now have another use for the drippings from smoked meat sessions. The jalapenos were a nice balance of sweet/heat and went really well with the dish IMHO. I have already repeated this meal a few times, but went the route of mix it all up and not be picky with food placement for photos haha. Quicker cooking to eating time is always a good thing!

tl;dr

View attachment 458249

View attachment 458250

Cheers Y'all!

DANG DUDE! Nailed it AGAIN!

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
First and foremost you could of stopped at the brisket and i would of licked my screen. But after the finish dish I almost took a bite out of the screen. Very well done.

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky