Texas Is BACK!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I agree with Chasdev in that TX Gov. Abbott's decision to go full-open with no mask mandate was motivated by his desire to deflect the public's attention from debacle of the recent loss of electrical power and water in most of state. Initially he blamed The New Green Deal and AOC, then came solar and wind power. When those excuses didn't hold up he pointed the finger at ERCOT made up with a Board of Directors who are appointed by the Governor. Oops! Hell, I'm surprised he didn't borrow a line from GA Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene and announce that the space lasers controlled by the Jewish banking family, the Rothchild's, that were responsible for the CA wildfires were redirected to the TX power grid. At the end of the day it appears that he and his advisors though it best to just change the subject with some "Happy News" for their diehard gullible constituents.

It's interesting to note that in TX, as well as MS which followed Abbott's lead, the new CV19 case counts in the last week alone were up 20% and 62%, respectively.

Also, the "4th quarter" comments made up thread are interesting but I think they me be a bit too premature. Numbers posted by the CDC late yesterday show that, to date, 53M vaccinations have been administered in the U.S. which includes those who have only received a single dose. The number on those who fuly vaccinated and have received both doses is 27M, or a little over 8% of the U.S. population.

With the approval and release of the single-dose J&J vaccine this week the total numbers should speed up pretty quick but, as I see it, at this point, we're not even out of the 1st quarter yet.

My thing is how come Florida is business as usual. But in Jersey the lockdown state it's bad. I was wondering being outside in the fresh air does that help. Last summer I was on my boat most of the time during the week, weekends the idiots came out so I stayed away from the water. And thank God I survived not catching it. I got my first shot already, now I have a week to go for my second shot. Then I can relax a little. I just wish that these people can keep politics out of our health and safety.

Dan Patrick.

He's the guy who, some time back, essentially said that the elderly should sacrifice themselves to CV19 for the benefit of their children and grandchildren.

I thought it was "Abbott & Costello".

That's right, He said we Old people should be more than happy to die for his economy. Maybe "Lou & Bud" would do a better job?

Bear

• Sad
Reactions: PPG1
What is Governor Abbott's Lt Governor's name??
It wouldn't be Lou Costello, would it??
Seems like a perfect fit.

Bear
That is hilarious! I never thought of that, and I'm a huge A&C fan. That Who's on first is brilliant.
"When the paychecks come out Who gets it?"
"Every dollar of it" LMAO. And their old 30 minute TV show? Loved it, not to mention their movies.
Did you know Costello got 60% and Abbott got 40%? It's a surprising fact.
Great comparison.

The current Lt. Governor of Texas is Dan Patrick, but not the Dan Patrick of ESPN "fame".....

Reactions: ChuxPick
Josey Wales to the bounty hunter
" Dying ain't much of a liven "
Josey Wales to the bounty hunter
" Dying ain't much of a liven "
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

I agree with that 100%. That said, I ain't never been pretty, and my body is already used up, and totally worn out. I rode Harleys for exactly 40 years, spent a couple of years deep sea fishing, and been a big rig truck driver for 45 years. There's no question I've had a hell of a ride for 72 years. I'll be getting the vaccine, and doing whatever is necessary to keep my family safe.
Gary

Last edited:
Since most of this post has been about my friends to the south, I was going to stay out of this discussion--not my place to comment about another country's business. But I will talk about Canada's track record dealing with this plague.
Our politicians, provincial and especially federal, have screwed up every possible aspect of their response. Trudeau has failed miserably getting PPE and vaccines. The provincial Premiers can't make up their minds on prevention--they keep switching policies every other day.
I just pretty much ignore what they say, and do everything I can to keep my family and my extended family safe and healthy. We avoid crowds, wear a mask when we have to be around others, will be getting vaccinated if and when it's offered, and just use basic common sense. We don't tell others what they should do, and nobody tells us what to do.
So far, so good. Everybody's still healthy.
Gary

That is hilarious! I never thought of that, and I'm a huge A&C fan. That Who's on first is brilliant.
"When the paychecks come out Who gets it?"
"Every dollar of it" LMAO. And their old 30 minute TV show? Loved it, not to mention their movies.
Did you know Costello got 60% and Abbott got 40%? It's a surprising fact.
Great comparison.

No, I didn't know about the 40%--60%.
However last Saturday night, I watched "Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein" again on "Svengoolie", Channel #2. Dracula & The Wolfman (Lon Chaney) were there too.

Bear

Since most of this post has been about my friends to the south, I was going to stay out of this discussion--not my place to comment about another country's business. But I will talk about Canada's track record dealing with this plague.
Our politicians, provincial and especially federal, have screwed up every possible aspect of their response. Trudeau has failed miserably getting PPE and vaccines. The provincial Premiers can't make up their minds on prevention--they keep switching policies every other day.
I just pretty much ignore what they say, and do everything I can to keep my family and my extended family safe and healthy. We avoid crowds, wear a mask when we have to be around others, will be getting vaccinated if and when it's offered, and just use basic common sense. We don't tell others what they should do, and nobody tells us what to do.
So far, so good. Everybody's still healthy.
Gary
Agree totally with you Gary. I live in Mississippi and like you from the beginning we have limited trips out, worn a mask when we were out, and did what we could to keep ourselves safe. Heck we even cancelled our annual big Christmas get together. I have got my vacc due to work (nurse) and wife is scheduled to get hers in a couple of weeks. Just wondering on the new variants of the virus popping up how effective is the vaccine?
Jim

Agree totally with you Gary. I live in Mississippi and like you from the beginning we have limited trips out, worn a mask when we were out, and did what we could to keep ourselves safe. Heck we even cancelled our annual big Christmas get together. I have got my vacc due to work (nurse) and wife is scheduled to get hers in a couple of weeks. Just wondering on the new variants of the virus popping up how effective is the vaccine?
Jim
We've been ultra careful as well, since both the Mrs and myself are somewhat compromised. Haven't been to a Restaurant to eat inside in over a year, we used to go 3-4 times a month. Regardless of any safeguards they may have, we wouldn't enjoy it knowing what's in the air. Anxiously waiting for our turn at the vaccine op.

No, I didn't know about the 40%--60%.
However last Saturday night, I watched "Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein" again on "Svengoolie", Channel #2. Dracula & The Wolfman (Lon Chaney) were there too.

Bear
That's one of their best ones. I was surprised when I found out about the 40%-60% too. Makes sense though, Abbott was the straight man, Costello got more laughs. But IMO they wouldn't have been as good alone. Together they were the best or one of the best comedy duos of all time. Laurel and Hardy were also great, but more physical comedy. A&C were physical and verbally funny. My Brothers and I still reference some of their bits and laugh out loud. Lou trying to pull car into a parking spot, Abbott looking from passenger seat directing him. Lou"Shall I backup?" Bud " Go ahead" Stuff like that never gets old, lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky